JVR

hobie

When he's not scoring he normally doesn't appear to be doing much but he always scores 25 to 30 goals, 50 to 60 points.

Next year he becomes a UFA and he might end up priced out of TO and I guess that's alright or is it.

Who does TO have to replace him, Kapanen, Johnsson, Rychel? All of the Leaf prospects on the Marlies aren't scoring much so I doubt any of them can now or ever will be able to replace him offensively. I remember the days when TO didn't have a productive net front presence or any net front presence at all. His skillset will be missed.

JVR has always had a bad rap as a poor defensive player and deservedly so but does every player on the Leafs have to be a defensive ace. Teams need to defend as well as score but each member of the team doesn't have to be proficient in all aspects of the game.

This year JVR has average TOI that is less than only 2 other forwards that play regularly, Bozak, Brown, Nylander and Marner get more icetime yet they aren't as offensively productive and whether they're a better option defensively is open to debate.

I don't get it?  

I think JVR is playing for his next contract and has been more noticeable with even less icetime so I can't understand why Babs isn't using him more?

JVR is valuable secondary scoring. You need players like JVR to win Stanley Cups because teams will put their best out against the Matthews line and that allows Toronto to do damage with other lines.

I'm old enough to remember when teams had a JVR calibre player on line 3 as depth. It's a shame that modern NHL teams are two lines deep at best with 3rd and 4th lines of filler.

If the asking price isn't too high, I'd bring him back. Chances are someone will overpay for him and that someone better not be Toronto.  :)

10 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

JVR is valuable secondary scoring. You need players like JVR to win Stanley Cups because teams will put their best out against the Matthews line and that allows Toronto to do damage with other lines.

I'm old enough to remember when teams had a JVR calibre player on line 3 as depth. It's a shame that modern NHL teams are two lines deep at best with 3rd and 4th lines of filler.

If the asking price isn't too high, I'd bring him back. Chances are someone will overpay for him and that someone better not be Toronto.  :)

Oh, hell no. JVR is trade bait for an underachieving, disappointing high round defenseman.

In other news, who are the Flyers trading Patrick for? Kris Russell?

:DancingGrape:

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Oh, hell no. JVR is trade bait for an underachieving, disappointing high round defenseman.

In other news, who are the Flyers trading Patrick for? Kris Russell?

:DancingGrape:

You spelled Johnny Guadreau wrong. :thumbsu::beer:

12 hours ago, radoran said:

Defencemen are so fickle though lol.  You can't tell a blue chip defenceman from a regular guy until they actually go out and prove it.

If the Leafs deal JVR it better be for an established top-4 defenceman.  :)

9 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

If the Leafs deal JVR it better be for an established top-4 defenceman.

Or maybe you could trade him for Luke Schenn. 

Nah, a GM would have to be an utter idiot to do that. 

Archived