Process or Insanity?

SpikeDDS

So yet another game where we play not too bad. Yet another game we lose in OT. It is geting...predictable. 

A couple thoughts that I’m still trying to work through:

Blashill keeps referring to “the process.” Translation: our “system.” He and Z are both saying that they have to keep trusting “the process” even when you sometimes don’t see good results. This, of course, assumes that “the process” is ultimately good. And we ARE seeing some good things. We are out-chancing opponents.

However, there is also that pesky definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I’m starting to wonder if Blashill’s particular process is flawed—that maybe all it does is help us win puck battles and create chances but not good enough chances to score. If you trust a flawed process, isn’t this what that looks like? You play good enough to win...except you don’t win. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

The issue with “the process” may not be the process itself though. Perhaps the process works, but you just won’t see those results without a higher level of talent on your team. Thus, it’s hard to properly judge that process on its own merits.

In my mind, the biggest argument against Blashill is that even with our speed, we are 0 for 6 in OT. Hard for me to get around that one. We have no business being that bad in OT.

Thus, even though the bigger problem may be at the GM level, I am predicting Blashill will be gone soon. SOMETHING has to change. He’s the easiest target, and the OT record is the closing argument on justifying that enough to do it.

I don’t hate Blashill, but clearly the process is not working. May not be all his fault, but we cannot continue to do what we are doing. It is NOT working.

Blash needs fired, end of story, no discussion. I was his biggest fan when he was the coach at GR, I remember posting in here A YEAR before it happened that Babs was going to Toronto and Blash would take the job. I am wrong as much s the next guy, lol but when I am right I try to remember it.

The thing is he may not be part of the problem, but he certainly is not the solution so he has to go.

The disturbing stat that I read the other night was the Wings are third in all of Hockey in scoring among players 30 or older. Not good. Pittsburgh and I believe Washinton were first and second. The difference? they are winning organizations in their prime. We are 3rd from the bottom in the conference and 4th worst overall.

We need to peel the bandaid off and clear the old guys out. Green could fetch a decent return, kick the tires on dealing Tats and Nyke and Abby and just move on. Call up Svechnikov and Bertuzzi and see what they have. It has to happen. AA, Larkin and Mantha are a nice young core, try to add to them.

The big problem tho is defense where Cholowski is several years away but will be very good and nobody else really excites. If we can find a taker for one of our thirty something forwards and add defense in the process that is what we have to do.

Ugly team.

@yave1964

That first little word in your last sentence of your last full paragraph—if—is the crucial word. It’s possible that we could get bites on Tats or maybe Nyke. But how the heck do you dump a guy like Abby with a freaking 7-year deal as high as his? Or Helm for as high as his? Who’s gonna stupid enough (or desperate enough) to absorb all of that? I mean, without us agreeing to eat enough of those contracts to negate the whole purpose for dumping them in the first place?

Archived