Pens trade Archie

nossagog

Couple of moves by the Pens today. 

Move 1: Pens trade Josh Archibald(F), Sean McGuire(G) and a sixth rounder to the 'yotes for Michael Leighton and a fourth round pick.    Not much to see here.  Archie wasn't getting anywhere in the organization, and McGuire hasn't moved from the ECHL yet.   Part one of: 

Move 2: Pens acquire Jamie Oleksiak from Dallas for a conditional fourth round pick(probably the one above).   Not sure here unless there is something that we don't know about the Shultz injury.  He's not offensive, but he is big.    

Not sure how this helps with the teams current issues.  Well, I'm sure, it doesn't. 

First trade, yea, looks like organizational depth only.

I can't see Leighton impacting the Pens at the NHL level.

But having him anchor the minor league team could free up other goalies to move up and get good looks at the NHL level? Just a guess.

Second trade...well, Oleksiak, according to analysts, seemed to be blocking Dallas' Julius Honka whom the Stars seem to like very much and don't want to send him back down, also, Marc Methot is supposed to be returning to their lineup, leaving Oleksiak with no where to go.

Not sure what the deal with him was/is in Dallas, but they took him in the 1st round for a reason....perhaps with the faster development of Honka and the returning Methot (plus another D-man of theirs, Esa Lindell is playing really well too), the Stars just didn't want to keep waiting for Oleksiak to live up to his potential.

Large d-men are notoriously slow developers (exceptions are the very elite of course), so the Penguins are probably looking at this situation as a "buy low" scenario...... and if he picks up his game while with them, it would be bonus.

Wouldn't be the first time a player flounders or develops slowly with another organization, then comes to Pittsburgh and "wakes up", so to speak.

In the short term, true, this doesn't seem to help Pittsburgh all that much (IMO, they are in bad need of a shut down d-man of some sort), but this could also be just the beginning of perhaps a bigger move at some point before the deadline.

Keeping in mind that Jamie Oleksiak will be turning just 25 in a couple days, he still has time to realize his upside.

It's a low cost, low risk, high upside move for Pittsburgh and they didn't have to give up a roster player to get him.

3 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Couple of moves by the Pens today. 

Move 1: Pens trade Josh Archibald(F), Sean McGuire(G) and a sixth rounder to the 'yotes for Michael Leighton and a fourth round pick.    Not much to see here.  Archie wasn't getting anywhere in the organization, and McGuire hasn't moved from the ECHL yet.   Part one of: 

Move 2: Pens acquire Jamie Oleksiak from Dallas for a conditional fourth round pick(probably the one above).   Not sure here unless there is something that we don't know about the Shultz injury.  He's not offensive, but he is big.    

Not sure how this helps with the teams current issues.  Well, I'm sure, it doesn't. 

I was thinking J.R. was trying to send a message of some sort. 

Honestly I don't think the Pens are giving a full 100 percent effort each and every game. 

It seemed like the Pens let up against the Coyotes after taking a 2-0 lead. It also seemed like they quit after they fell behind 2-1 to the Avs!

I'm guessing mid February this team will play like they should be playing! 

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

But having him anchor the minor league team could free up other goalies to move up and get good looks at the NHL level? Just a guess.

Second trade...well, Oleksiak, according to analysts, seemed to be blocking Dallas' Julius Honka whom the Stars seem to like very much and don't want to send him back down, also, Marc Methot is supposed to be returning to their lineup, leaving Oleksiak with no where to go.

Not sure what the deal with him was/is in Dallas, but they took him in the 1st round for a reason....perhaps with the faster development of Honka and the returning Methot (plus another D-man of theirs, Esa Lindell is playing really well too), the Stars just didn't want to keep waiting for Oleksiak to live up to his potential.

Large d-men are notoriously slow developers (exceptions are the very elite of course), so the Penguins are probably looking at this situation as a "buy low" scenario...... and if he picks up his game while with them, it would be bonus.

Wouldn't be the first time a player flounders or develops slowly with another organization, then comes to Pittsburgh and "wakes up", so to speak.

In the short term, true, this doesn't seem to help Pittsburgh all that much (IMO, they are in bad need of a shut down d-man of some sort), but this could also be just the beginning of perhaps a bigger move at some point before the deadline.

Keeping in mind that Jamie Oleksiak will be turning just 25 in a couple days, he still has time to realize his upside.

It's a low cost, low risk, high upside move for Pittsburgh and they didn't have to give up a roster player to get him.

I agree with your theory on Leighton! He does have Stanley Cup finals experience and could help in the playoffs. Maybe it might wake up Murray and push him a bit. (Stop playing like he's Fleury) I'm reaching for some kind of reason for the trade.

6 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

I was thinking J.R. was trying to send a message of some sort. 

Honestly I don't think the Pens are giving a full 100 percent effort each and every game. 

It seemed like the Pens let up against the Coyotes after taking a 2-0 lead. It also seemed like they quit after they fell behind 2-1 to the Avs!

I'm guessing mid February this team will play like they should be playing! 

Couple of things.  First, if JR is trying to send a message, you don't do that by trading away useless pieces.   You do that by trading away someone of value to send a message that NO one is expendable. 

You second point, about them not giving 100 percent, I wholly agree on.  That whole Stanley Cup Hangover thing times two. I really see many players going through the motions, not trying 100 percent.  Hard to get over.  If they don't snap out of this soon, big things have to change. 

14 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

The other thing to look at is that carrot that the Pens want to dangle in Cole.   Apparently there is some interest in Cole, who has had trade rumors swirling around for about a month.  If they think that Oleksiak can move into a top six position, maybe this make Cole more available for forward for either Crosby or Malkin. 

6 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Couple of things.  First, if JR is trying to send a message, you don't do that by trading away useless pieces.   You do that by trading away someone of value to send a message that NO one is expendable. 

You second point, about them not giving 100 percent, I wholly agree on.  That whole Stanley Cup Hangover thing times two. I really see many players going through the motions, not trying 100 percent.  Hard to get over.  If they don't snap out of this soon, big things have to change. 

JR had reasons for doing what he did. I see TFGs put about anchoring WBS! I'M thinking it might push Murray a bit to better.

1 minute ago, notfondajane said:

JR had reasons for doing what he did. I see TFGs put about anchoring WBS! I'M thinking it might push Murray a bit to better.

This has NOTHING to do with Murray.   If anything, if gives them the ability of bringing up Leighton and giving Jarry the time he needs in  WBS to develop properly with game experience. 

5 minutes ago, nossagog said:

This has NOTHING to do with Murray.   If anything, if gives them the ability of bringing up Leighton and giving Jarry the time he needs in  WBS to develop properly with game experience. 

Thats a good point! I'm  still like to see how it affects Murray thinking? (It should not) 

53 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

You Flyer fans would NEVER hear the end of it or be able to live it down.....  :lol:

Cookie Monster (although he never played for the Flyers I don't like him anyway) and then him???

On 12/19/2017 at 7:31 PM, nossagog said:

Agree. Worth noting that right now they are 17-15-3...exactly where they were at this point in 2015, too. 

Oleksiak in the lineup for his first game tonight against the Blue Jackets.   Look forward to see how this goes. Could be of benefit in these types of games. 

PostGame edit: I think Oleksiak will fit in very nicely based on his first game. I don't see a lot of western games, so I did not know much about him.  But based on his first game, I really like this trade. He moved the puck well, was confident carrying the puck, was more than willing to shoot the puck and put a few Jackets on the ice with solid body checks.  I'd love to hear from a Dallas fan the reason for his availability, was it just that Dallas had too much depth on D?

On 12/19/2017 at 7:30 PM, notfondajane said:

I agree with your theory on Leighton! He does have Stanley Cup finals experience and could help in the playoffs. Maybe it might wake up Murray and push him a bit. (Stop playing like he's Fleury) I'm reaching for some kind of reason for the trade.

Yes, Leighton has won playoff games, even a series....BUT, the last time he was playing in the playoffs was the 2010 playoffs. It was the Stanley Cup Finals, Philly against Chicago for all the marbles. OT for game 6, Flyers win, they force a game 7 where anything can happen. It was then when Leighton let in "the goal"...... a TOTALLY average wrist shot, from far away....a routine stop that *most* NHL goalies would stop 499 times out of 500. UMMMMM....NOT Leighton!! 

It was indeed the worst Cup winning goal EVER> In fact, it was SO very bad, that everyone in the entire building, Flyers, Black Hawks, Hawks fans...coaching staffs did not know what happened....LITERALLY, the only person who knew that Patrick Kane scored on that shot was Patrick Kane...not even his own linemates knew it was in, until Kane threw his gloves and stick in the air!!!   You could make a strong argument that the Kane goal may have sucked the life out of any playoff game he might participate in. In short, the Flyers used 3 goalies in the 2010 run, and when Leaky was in net, we won in spite of him, not because of him. Did not stand on his head once in that finals series. 

In my humble opinion, there is a bit of shame involved in having Michael Leighton on your roster. First off, his nickname is "Leaky" Leighton....pretty well the worst nickname a goalie can have short of "Red Light" Racicot. The Leaky one was below average cannon fodder 10 years ago, I can only imagine how much slower he has become. I watched Leighton play a lot of his junior hockey, played for my hometown Windsor Spitfires....he was only average back then also. You will now have two former Spits on your roster, the other being Tom Kuhnackle. 

On 12/21/2017 at 7:07 PM, nossagog said:

Oleksiak in the lineup for his first game tonight against the Blue Jackets.   Look forward to see how this goes. Could be of benefit in these types of games. 

PostGame edit: I think Oleksiak will fit in very nicely based on his first game. I don't see a lot of western games, so I did not know much about him.  But based on his first game, I really like this trade. He moved the puck well, was confident carrying the puck, was more than willing to shoot the puck and put a few Jackets on the ice with solid body checks.  I'd love to hear from a Dallas fan the reason for his availability, was it just that Dallas had too much depth on D?

I see a huge D-man with upside to come on defense and offense. The offense will be limited, but he should contribute a reasonable amount of pts eventually. I believe his upside might be 25+ pts while being a plus defender. He just turned 26, and I believe he's a classic late bloomer big dman. It may take a few more seasons for him to reach his full potential, but worth waiting for. In a pinch, the Stars moved him to forward for a game due to injuries, not a lot of dmen can do that. It shows versatility when a seasoned veteran coach like  Hitchcock would put faith in him out of position like that. 

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2017/11/06/injuries-forcing-stars-bind-defenseman-jamie-oleksiak-debut-forward-jets

Jamie has moved up and down from the Stars to the AHL for the better part of 5 seasons. All part of the process, he is just taking a tad longer than the average dman, in part due to his wicked 6'7 and 260 lb frame. 

I like this trade for the Pens, a LOT. Jamie even fits nicely salary cap wise. He's signed to a ridiclously low 964,500 for this season...and he then becomes a RFA...and not a lot of room to be demanding anything. I see a 4 year deal for 1.6 mill a year if he plays decent the last half with the Pens. Very cheap addition, another wonderful aspect of this deal for JR.

This quote from Hitch (from the link I posted) is VERY telling....

"He's just got to keep the puck in front of him," Hitchcock said of Oleksiak. "He's got really good skill. He's got a great shot. He's got really good footspeed for a big man. He's a smart guy. We talked about this a month ago, using him there."

On 12/25/2017 at 4:48 PM, jammer2 said:

I see a huge D-man with upside to come on defense and offense. The offense will be limited, but he should contribute a reasonable amount of pts eventually. I believe his upside might be 25+ pts while being a plus defender. He just turned 26, and I believe he's a classic late bloomer big dman. It may take a few more seasons for him to reach his full potential, but worth waiting for. In a pinch, the Stars moved him to forward for a game due to injuries, not a lot of dmen can do that. It shows versatility when a seasoned veteran coach like  Hitchcock would put faith in him out of position like that. 

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2017/11/06/injuries-forcing-stars-bind-defenseman-jamie-oleksiak-debut-forward-jets

Jamie has moved up and down from the Stars to the AHL for the better part of 5 seasons. All part of the process, he is just taking a tad longer than the average dman, in part due to his wicked 6'7 and 260 lb frame. 

I like this trade for the Pens, a LOT. Jamie even fits nicely salary cap wise. He's signed to a ridiclously low 964,500 for this season...and he then becomes a RFA...and not a lot of room to be demanding anything. I see a 4 year deal for 1.6 mill a year if he plays decent the last half with the Pens. Very cheap addition, another wonderful aspect of this deal for JR.

This quote from Hitch (from the link I posted) is VERY telling....

"He's just got to keep the puck in front of him," Hitchcock said of Oleksiak. "He's got really good skill. He's got a great shot. He's got really good footspeed for a big man. He's a smart guy. We talked about this a month ago, using him there."

After his first few games, I'm really liking this trade more and more.  For as big as he is, he moves up ice very well with the puck, which fits into the Pens framework well.  As a bonus he's not shy about shooting the puck from the point. He's also been solid in the defensive zone, and is more than willing to use his frame to hit people.    With the way that the Pens season is going, I think he'll have a great chance to get a lot of playing time here to improve his game. 

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

After his first few games, I'm really liking this trade more and more.  For as big as he is, he moves up ice very well with the puck, which fits into the Pens framework well.  As a bonus he's not shy about shooting the puck from the point. He's also been solid in the defensive zone, and is more than willing to use his frame to hit people.    With the way that the Pens season is going, I think he'll have a great chance to get a lot of playing time here to improve his game. 

I think TFG had a perfect take on this trade. The only reason for the Stars to invest 5+ years in Jamie and then dump him for a 4th rounder is that he is being pushed out by other up and comers. From the outside looking in, it looks like very poor asset management by the Stars. At least wait and maybe package him for a better return. I can see Honka being held back, and Methot needing a spot when he returns from injury, so I believe TFG hit the nail on the head here. Meanwhile, the Pens get a nice piece for dirt cheap. Rutherford just seems to find this stuff....unreal. 

Archived