2018 World Juniors Tournament

hf101

7 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Czech make it a game, 2-1 going into the 3rd. WOW...after watching this game close, REALLY impressed with both Necas and Zidna...money players with super elite skill and hockey sense. Easy to see why so much fuss is being made about them. 

Agree @jammer2  this one has the momentum swinging to a Czech upset.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, hf101 said:

Agree @jammer2  this one has the momentum swinging to a Czech upset.

What a stat I just heard, Sweden has not lost in regular tourney play in over a decade....21 straight wins and counting....how, wha??  Czech's do NOT have history on their side, that is for sure. 

4 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

What a stat I just heard, Sweden has not lost in regular tourney play in over a decade....21 straight wins and counting....how, wha??  Czech's do NOT have history on their side, that is for sure. 

The Czechs also not having a team this good for years also, lol.

Just now, hf101 said:

The Czechs also not having a team this good for years also, lol.

Yeah, they touched on that in this intermission, I can't ever remember the Czech having such high end talent. The top pp on Czech is wicked good. 

4 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Yeah, they touched on that in this intermission, I can't ever remember the Czech having such high end talent. The top pp on Czech is wicked good. 

Well, they couldn't score on the 3 on 5 PP not a great sign for a comeback.

And might I add what a stupid decision it was having this an outdoor game. The shine came off this gimmick years ago. Weather will likely affect the outcome more than the talent on either team. Hopefully nobody gets injured on crappy ice.

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

And might I add what a stupid decision it was having this an outdoor game. The shine came off this gimmick years ago. Weather will likely affect the outcome more than the talent on either team. Hopefully nobody gets injured on crappy ice.

Agreed,  USA also has a less than desirable draw with these back to back games having a short turn around time. uggh.

3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Agreed,  USA also has a less than desirable draw with these back to back games having a short turn around time. uggh.

Another really dumb thing...US Hockey made up the sched. Not sure WTF they were thinking.

First of all having an outdoor game in a short tournament where every game is fairly important. 

Second, playing their biggest rival with less than 24 hrs rest. 

Third, having the game start at 3 on a Friday. Wouldn't the stadium be a heck of a lot fuller on a Saturday? Attendance has been bad so far...time to go back to actual junior hockey towns for this...

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Another really dumb thing...US Hockey made up the sched. Not sure WTF they were thinking.

First of all having an outdoor game in a short tournament where every game is fairly important. 

Second, playing their biggest rival with less than 24 hrs rest. 

Third, having the game start at 3 on a Friday. Wouldn't the stadium be a heck of a lot fuller on a Saturday? Attendance has been bad so far...time to go back to actual junior hockey towns for this...

Exactly!

Nearly half of the team is from Minnesota - Which would be the best place to hold the tournament in the US, imo.  

:bonkingheadonwall:

4 hours ago, hf101 said:

Exactly!

Nearly half of the team is from Minnesota - Which would be the best place to hold the tournament in the US, imo.  

:bonkingheadonwall:

I'm sure the tourny organizers are counting on Canucks pouring over the border to pad the attendance stats, and that is a lot easier to attain from Buffalo rather than Minn, but a valid point, Minnesota deserves this tourny. 

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Both teams have openly stated the best team will not win this game, it will be who adapts better to the awful conditions. I think there is a 50/50 chance it might get called if the ice chips to much to repair. Then what do you do, replay it all....or from the time it was called? What a MESS. I thought the whole idea was to actually see "who" is better??  Not who can survive in minus 20 C

Ray Ferraro has mentioned a few times how the puck hit's the white part of the boards and just falls to the ground, no bounce at all....SO..why not have a set play with wingers breaking to behind the net and lob one of those pucks in there for a set play, just beat the USA to the puck....

Damn they just tied it up as i posted that.

3-3.

Who is #8 for canada??

He is terrible.

Nevermind Dante Fabbro....very passive defenseman....just skating and watching. Soft.

Hart ain't getting much help out there.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So what happened i was headed to work and couldn't watch the end.

I know USA won in a shootout but TSN did say how many round or who even won it for USA.

Please inform me someone if they can.

Thanks.

The tournament has a 5 round shootout.  

Penalty Shot Shootout
  Missed (left) CAN 23. STEEL Sam 30. OETTINGER Jake - on goal
  Scored USA 23. BELLOWS Kieffer 31. HART Carter - on goal
  Saved by goalie CAN 27. THOMAS Robert 30. OETTINGER Jake - on goal
  Scored USA 7. TKACHUK Brady 31. HART Carter - on goal
  Missed (height) CAN 16. RADDYSH Taylor 30. OETTINGER Jake - on goal
  Saved by goalie USA 11. MITTELSTADT Casey 31. HART Carter - on goal
  Missed (left) CAN 19. BATHERSON Drake 30. OETTINGER Jake - on goal
65:00 3 - 4 GWG USA 23. BELLOWS Kieffer

54 minutes ago, hf101 said:

The tournament has a 5 round shootout.  

Penalty Shot Shootout
  Missed (left) CAN 23. STEEL Sam 30. OETTINGER Jake - on goal
  Scored USA 23. BELLOWS Kieffer 31. HART Carter - on goal
  Saved by goalie CAN 27. THOMAS Robert 30. OETTINGER Jake - on goal
  Scored USA 7. TKACHUK Brady 31. HART Carter - on goal
  Missed (height) CAN 16. RADDYSH Taylor 30. OETTINGER Jake - on goal
  Saved by goalie USA 11. MITTELSTADT Casey 31. HART Carter - on goal
  Missed (left) CAN 19. BATHERSON Drake 30. OETTINGER Jake - on goal
65:00 3 - 4 GWG USA 23. BELLOWS Kieffer

Wow.

Looks like Hart might be already prepared for the Flyers.

A team that shrinks towards the end of game...paired with a passive soft defense and forwards who can't score in a shootout to save their life.

He should have a flawless transition to the Flyers!

:VeryCool:

44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow.

Looks like Hart might be already prepared for the Flyers.

A team that shrinks towards the end of game...paired with a passive soft defense and forwards who can't score in a shootout to save their life.

He should have a flawless transition to the Flyers!

:VeryCool:

Thinking of starting a topic on Hart.  Frankly, I haven't been able to gather much enthusiasm for the kid as he doesn't seem to come up big for important games.  He's having a great regular season in the OHL but at the international competitions, I'm not impressed.

6 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Thinking of starting a topic on Hart.  Frankly, I haven't been able to gather much enthusiasm for the kid as he doesn't seem to come up big for important games.  He's having a great regular season in the OHL but at the international competitions, I'm not impressed.

Yeah but honestly i think that can be said for the whole Canadian junior team.

I know our Canuck friends might not like my next statement but USA junior hockey has surpassed them.

Sorry.

I have faith in the kid still. He still has 2-3 more years to develop in the AHL.

He just turned 19 in August lots of room to grow.

Congrats to the USA for the big win. I still think, no matter who won that game, the best team was not really decided. That snow was outrageous at times, and all the shoveling in the world would not help. One time Canada got robbed of a short handed odd man break because the puck got stuck in a snowbank. The real dangerous part, and I can't believe it was not touched on more, was the inch gap behind the one net from the boards to the ice surface. An entire inch, or very close to it is dangerous. It ended up an American got his stick stuck there and Dube got speared with it....outrageous how nobody talked about that gap, crazy. It was the same for both sides, so congrats still in order. 

I still think the IIHF needs to change the rules for the championship game. If both teams agree to play until a winner is decided, let them go ahead and do so....both teams have to agree. Just a way better way to settle this. 

Archived