2018 World Juniors Tournament

hf101

It's almost that time of year for the World Jr's tournament pre-tournament play is underway with television coverage on the NHL channel beginning Dec 26th.  Please use this thread for tournament teams news, info and discussion.

Tuesday, December 26 Czech Republic vs. Russia 12 p.m.
  Canada vs. Finland 4 p.m.
  Denmark vs. USA 8 p.m.
Wednesday, December 27 Belarus vs. Sweden 8 a.m. (Tape Delay)
  Switzerland vs. Belarus 3 p.m.
  Slovakia vs. Canada 7 p.m.
Thursday, December 28 Finland vs. Denmark 12 p.m.
  Sweden vs. Czech Republic 4 p.m.
  USA vs. Slovakia 8 p.m.
Friday, December 29 Russia vs. Switzerland 6 a.m. (Tape Delay)
  Belarus vs. Russia 12 p.m.
  Outdoor Game at New Era Field: 
Canada vs. USA
3 p.m.
Saturday, December 30 Czech Republic vs. Belarus 12 p.m.
  Finland vs. Slovakia 4 p.m.
  Denmark vs. Canada 8 p.m.
Sunday, December 31 Sweden vs. Switzerland 7 a.m. (Tape Delay)
  Switzerland vs. Czech Republic 12 p.m.
  USA vs. Finland 4 p.m.
Monday, January 1 Slovakia vs. Denmark 1 p.m.
Tuesday, January 2 Quarterfinal #1 12 p.m.
  Quarterfinal #2 4 p.m.
  Quarterfinal #4 8 p.m.
Wednesday, January 3 Quarterfinal #3 10 a.m. (Tape Delay)
Thursday, January 4 Semifinal #1 4 p.m.
  Semifinal #2 8 p.m.
Friday, January 5 Bronze-Medal Game 4 p.m.
  Gold-Medal Game 8 p.m.

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/868953?referrer_id=701370-news

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seven players who competed for Canada at the 2017 IIHF World Junior Championship – Jake Bean (Calgary/Calgary, WHL), Kale Clague (Lloydminster, Alta./Brandon, WHL), Dillon Dubé (Cochrane, Alta./Kelowna, WHL), Dante Fabbro (Coquitlam, B.C./Boston University, HE), Carter Hart (Sherwood Park, Alta./Everett, WHL), Michael McLeod (Mississauga, Ont./Mississauga, OHL), and Taylor Raddysh (Caledon, Ont./Erie, OHL) - will once again proudly represent their country in the holiday classic that begins Boxing Day.

Joining them on the Canadian roster are:

• Goaltender Colton Point (North Bay, Ont./Colgate University, ECAC)
  • Defencemen Cal Foote (Kelowna, B.C./Kelowna, WHL), Cale Makar (Calgary/University of Massachusetts, HE), Victor Mete (Woodbrige, Ont./Montreal, NHL), Conor Timmins (Thorold, Ont./Sault Ste. Marie, OHL); and
  • Forwards Drake Batherson (New Minas, N.S./Cape Breton, QMJHL), Maxime Comtois (Longueuil, Que./Victoriaville, QMJHL), Alex Formenton (King City, Ont./London, OHL), Jonah Gadjovich (Whitby, Ont./Owen Sound OHL), Brett Howden (Oakbank, Man./Moose Jaw, WHL), Boris Katchouk (Waterloo, Ont./Sault Ste. Marie, OHL), Jordan Kyrou (Toronto/Sarnia, OHL), Sam Steel (Sherwood Park, Alta./Regina, WHL), Tyler Steenbergen (Sylvan Lake, Alta./Swift Current, WHL), and Robert Thomas (Aurora, Ont./London, OHL)

Team Canada Schedule

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team-canada/men/junior/2017-18/world-championship/stats/schedule

Looking forward to it as usual.

Canada seems to be lacking star power up front...but still has plenty of depth to make up for it.  Plus the D and goaltending look pretty good. 

The US, Sweden, Finns and Russia all look like they have good teams. Should be a fun tourney. 

Final Roster for team USA includes the Final cuts of Jack Badini, Hugh McGing, Phil Kemp, Cole Hults, and Reilly Walsh from the preliminary roster.

Team USA looks to defend their title with 10 Minnesotans on the 23 man Roster   :pyramiddance:

On 12/22/2017 at 1:02 PM, flyercanuck said:

Looking forward to it as usual.

Canada seems to be lacking star power up front...but still has plenty of depth to make up for it.  Plus the D and goaltending look pretty good. 

The US, Sweden, Finns and Russia all look like they have good teams. Should be a fun tourney. 

Canada is missing their usual superstar forward(s), but what they lack in name recognition, they make up for in pure unrelenting speed. Can't remember a year when the forwards and the defense were this lightning quick. 

Tough break for DiPietro....one of the last cuts. He will learn from this. 

Looks like the Flyers have 4 participants....

1)Carter Hart .....Goalie, Canada's starter in net

2)Linus Hoberg....Defense...Sweden, a bit older than the other kids, should play a decent role on this team. 

3)Maxim Sushko...Forward...the Belarusian Beast (ok..I just made that up)

4)German Rubtsov....Forward, Russia a 4th liner last year with limited ice time, should be his time to shine this time around with a much bigger role.

Team Canada breakdown...

9 OHL

8 WHL

2 NCAA

2 QMJHL

Team breakdowns, eligible to be drafted in 2018

Canada.....  0

USA.....        3

Finland.....  2

Sweden..... 6

Slovakia.... 4

Denmark....4

Czech Rep.4

Russia.......3

VERY rare to see so many 19 yr olds on Team Canada...just the way the cookie crumbles this year, can't remember the last time we had zero draft-eligible players. Biggest surprise for me was DiPeitro and Cody Glass getting cut, thought they would almost be locks, speaks to the tremendous depth of Team Canada I guess. 

Because the tourny is in Buffalo, they have made pre-arranged start times for Team USA and Team Canada should they make the playoff portion.....IF Team Canada makes the Semi-Finals, they will play a 8pm start time on Thursday, January 4th and the Final will be 8pm on Friday Jan 5th. Nice to know, cause I had to book off the Thursday game from work. Can't think of a better way to spend an early vacation day!!

They also bent the rules this year. Traditionally the Silver medal team (Canada) and the Gold medal team (USA) are separated in Group A and Group B, but they made an exception because Canada and the USA are scheduled to play the first ever OUTDOOR game for the WJC....hopefully the weather holds up, that could be special!!!

On 12/21/2017 at 10:36 AM, hf101 said:

Team USA roster is now at 26 as they will try to defend their title.  

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/show/3843218-2018-wjc-u-s-updated-roste

USA preliminary roster.png

A real nice HockeyWriters article previewing the USA squad. Organized and in-depth, worth reading. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/2018-wjc-usa-final-roster/

A controversial goal scored by Canada for their first goal of the tourney.  I'd like to hear the explanation from Toronto (or whomever is reviewing plays) on why that goal was allowed even after review.  It appeared the net was knocked off the moorings by the Canada player before the puck crossed the goal line.

23 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Already an upset (I think) as the Czechs beat Russia 5-4 in a game that didn't seem that close.  Russia scored 2 goals late to make it close.

Traditionally, you always have the Big 5....Canada, USA, Sweden, Russia and Finland....almost always, the Czechs are the 6th team, and usually, fail to crack the top 5. In fact, they have finished 6th 5 times in the last 7 years. 

This tourny, may be an uptick for Team Czech. They have a 1st rounder on their roster, with 2 more sure to go in the 1st in the 18 draft. More firepower and depth than they usually have. The Russians looked dreadful, flat and lifeless. Czech deserved this victory. 

On 12/26/2017 at 4:34 PM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Already an upset (I think) as the Czechs beat Russia 5-4 in a game that didn't seem that close.  Russia scored 2 goals late to make it close.

Rubtsov had 1g 1a. i'll take that with a Russia loss all day.

On 12/26/2017 at 4:40 PM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

A controversial goal scored by Canada for their first goal of the tourney.  I'd like to hear the explanation from Toronto (or whomever is reviewing plays) on why that goal was allowed even after review.  It appeared the net was knocked off the moorings by the Canada player before the puck crossed the goal line.

Watched it many times....don't see how that was allowed.

But the Finns followed it up with a dumb penalty that Canada quickly scored on...they also had many pp chances most of which Canada easily shut down, and Hart played well in net when he had to.

Bad call but Canada still won by 2. Finland had plenty of time to overcome it. Everytime they scored to come within one, Canada quickly responded. 

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

FWIW Shushko was the best Belarusian player in their loss to the Swiss.

Yes, seen a few highlights, he seemed to be moving quicker than the other players around him, a good sign. Really, any OHL player on Belarus *should* be among their best, but good he is living up to the expectations. 

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Especially when you factor in that the net is officially dislodged when you can see the pegs, not when they are totally off. Very, very strange call. I don't see how any ref in his right mind would reach a "goal" decision based on what he was reviewing.....weird. 

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm still amazed that it was ruled a goal.  And I haven't seen an explanation from the IIHF.

RULE 98 – SCORING A GOAL/GOAL FRAME OFF 

vi.  No goal will be allowed if the goal frame is displaced before the puck crosses the plane of the goal line unless provided by Rule 98-i.

Bob McKenzie quoted this part of the rule during the broadcast but it doesn't apply to this situation.  Rule 98-i only applies if the defending team knocks the net off its moorings.

i.  If a defending player displaces his own goal frame and the opposing team scores a goal, the goal will be allowed provided:  

1.  The opponent was in the act of shooting prior to the goal frame being displaced;

2.  The referee determines the puck would have entered the goal net had the goal frame been in its normal position. 

I don't see anything else in the rule book that would apply.  I think the Referee (and maybe the video judge) misinterpreted the rule and got it absolutely wrong.

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He didn't get a goal however he finished with 2 assist and +2 on a team that gave up 5.

I'll take it.

I knew Rubs would have an increased workload this time around. Last year he was strictly 4th line center. Even though he has been given more responsibility this year, I did notice he was not on Russia's top power play unit, which means they must be pretty deep down the middle. 

Czech make it a game, 2-1 going into the 3rd. WOW...after watching this game close, REALLY impressed with both Necas and Zadina...money players with super elite skill and hockey sense. Easy to see why so much fuss is being made about them. Should be interesting to see which stars step up for their team in the 3rd. 

Archived