2018 World Juniors Tournament

hf101

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah but honestly i think that can be said for the whole Canadian junior team.

I know our Canuck friends might not like my next statement but USA junior hockey has surpassed them.

Sorry.

I have faith in the kid still. He still has 2-3 more years to develop in the AHL.

He just turned 19 in August lots of room to grow.

LOL...you guys are sitting BEHIND Canada in the standings after winning a shootout YOU HAD TO WIN in the dumbest conditions I've ever seen a non-pickup game played in. So you beat Canada at a gimmick in a gimmick game. You now play Finland, we play Denmark. Comparing who is better after that farce is ridiculous.

Has the US caught up with Canada? Maybe. It's inevitable with 10 times the population and a lot more money to throw at development. But judging the two countries in a game played on terrible ice in a blizzard where play was stopped to shovel is hardly realistic.

As for Hart, he got player of the game for Canada. Yet again, he didn't score in the shootout though.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, hf101 said:

Thinking of starting a topic on Hart.  Frankly, I haven't been able to gather much enthusiasm for the kid as he doesn't seem to come up big for important games.  He's having a great regular season in the OHL but at the international competitions, I'm not impressed.

]

He got player of the game hf. Not sure what more he could have done. (scored in the shootout?....and he plays in the WHL, not OHL) Those conditions were terrible for everyone. he made 33 saves...in a blizzard. He had a .917 save percentage...compared to Oettingers .880.

Watch the goals the US scored (in the actual game) and tell me which ones he should have stopped...that rocket just inside the post? Nobody was stopping that. His D didn't help him out on the others at all.

As for the shootout goals...if Hart becomes a good NHL goalie in games, I don't care what he does in a goofy gimmick. Do football fans care if Tom Brady can hit a clown on a minibike while riding a pogostick? 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

LOL...you guys are sitting BEHIND Canada in the standings after winning a shootout YOU HAD TO WIN in the dumbest conditions I've ever seen a non-pickup game played in. So you beat Canada at a gimmick in a gimmick game. You now play Finland, we play Denmark. Comparing who is better after that farce is ridiculous.

Has the US caught up with Canada? Maybe. It's inevitable with 10 times the population and a lot more money to throw at development. But judging the two countries in a game played on terrible ice in a blizzard where play was stopped to shovel is hardly realistic.

As for Hart, he got player of the game for Canada. Yet again, he didn't score in the shootout though.

So it looks as if you're not taking being passed by USA well.

I'll check back later.

44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So it looks as if you're not taking being passed by USA well.

I'll check back later.

I'm sure your Toyota Camry is far superior to my Honda Accord. 

Are the Flyers better than Tampa...seeing as they beat them last night? As Tampa looks down on them in the standings?

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

]

He got player of the game hf. Not sure what more he could have done. (scored in the shootout?....and he plays in the WHL, not OHL) Those conditions were terrible for everyone. he made 33 saves...in a blizzard. He had a .917 save percentage...compared to Oettingers .880.

Watch the goals the US scored (in the actual game) and tell me which ones he should have stopped...that rocket just inside the post? Nobody was stopping that. His D didn't help him out on the others at all.

As for the shootout goals...if Hart becomes a good NHL goalie in games, I don't care what he does in a goofy gimmick. Do football fans care if Tom Brady can hit a clown on a minibike while riding a pogostick? 

Thanks for the correction on the WHL, my bad.  I've only watched Hart play in International competition and he has lost now twice to the USA after his team has posted a 2 goal lead.  Yes those wins for the US eventually have come via a shootout but these shootouts also display a goalies skill level and confidence to read the moves, poke check and make a great save under pressure. 

Maybe I'm being too critical, but I want Hart to seize the moment and be the best player of the tournament.  The late goals in yesterdays game were mainly due to the big US forwards wearing down Canada's d-men and not on Hart, I get that.  But as a Flyers fan I want him to make save after save as in the Slovak's goalie, Durny, on Thursday, not allowing that tying goal.  I just want to see the Marty Brodeur mentality in big games and not so similar to that of a Braden Holtby.

And yes Hart did get player of the game and so did Durny the night before. Durny played the game of his life and I want to see the same in Hart as this tournament continues. 

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Thanks for the correction on the WHL, my bad.  I've only watched Hart play in International competition and he has lost now twice to the USA after his team has posted a 2 goal lead.  Yes those wins for the US eventually have come via a shootout but these shootouts also display a goalies skill level and confidence to read the moves, poke check and make a great save under pressure. 

Maybe I'm being too critical, but I want Hart to seize the moment and be the best player of the tournament.  The late goals in yesterdays game were mainly due to the big US forwards wearing down Canada's d-men and not on Hart, I get that.  But as a Flyers fan I want him to make save after save as in the Slovak's goalie, Durny, on Thursday, not allowing that tying goal.  I just want to see the Marty Brodeur mentality in big games and not so similar to that of a Braden Holtby.

And yes Hart did get player of the game and so did Durny the night before. Durny played the game of his life and I want to see the same in Hart as this tournament continues. 

Again, I wouldn't judge anyone on that game. It wouldn't be far-fetched to say none of those players will ever play in those conditions again as long as they live...at least not in an organized game

. Oettinger is also a very good goalie. And he let in worse goals than Hart did. That first one was terrible.

Hart isn't a "wow you" type netminder. He's generally in position so doesn't have to make those spectacular saves. His D left him hanging out to dry yesterday on many occasions. 

2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

A great elimination game between the Finns and Czechs as this one goes into OT.

Watching it, you could just smell the Czech tying goal coming, huh? This Zadina kid is awesome. 

Although  I hate to see penalties called in OT, that was a missed elbow to the head there.

Agree on Zadina.  Finland seems to be more organized and the Czechs are more opportunistic.   This will be a tough loss for one of these two teams in the shootout.

hmmm, Chytil, the Rangers first rounder takes a vicious elbow to the head....they usually call the tourny to tight for my liking, but they missed one here.....and yet another teams fate decided by shootout....horrible. 

Gotta love this Czech goalie, gonna hate spelling and pronouncing that name for the next 15 years....lol. He was great. How about this Vasailain kid for Finland....wow is he wicked good. Lot's of really nice talent on display today, a shame to see it end this way. 

I'm ok with the shootout, especially with these that go 5 rounds.  I'd like to see the NHL move forward to 5 rounds too.    I'd rather see a shootout win over a team with a weak call by an official for an OT PP any day.  The Czechs Korenar had the better netminding for sure in this one.  Luukkenen really opened up his 5 hole too much.  Some nice skill there by several of the forwards on both sides.  

On 12/30/2017 at 6:33 AM, flyercanuck said:

]

Gotta agree with all of that. Allowing a shoot out goal is NOT the same as a normal regulation goal or OT goal....it's just not. It's no sane way to determine if a goalie and or team is better than the other one. Let's just put it this way. In the real world, prospects have a value assigned to them based on all sorts of variables, glove speed, positioning, side to side movement etc, etc. One of the things that is not a variable in assigning said ranking is not if they are good shoot out goalies. To back up this point, the Flyers would never trade Hart straight up for either American goalie, Woll the Leaf pick or Ottinger the Dallas prospect. Same goes for Parsons (who is a great young goalie in his own right), he is not thought of as highly as Hart, another two guys who would not be swapped for each other straight up....why, cause *to this point* Carter has proved it in actual games.

God, that minibike line was great....LMAO!!

On 12/30/2017 at 6:27 AM, flyercanuck said:

Nailed it....

One thing, is it not Canada who keeps this tourny going?  Even our attendance was down last year. Canadian dollars generate interest in commercials, sell seats. Since we financially support this thing, or at LEAST shoulder a BIG part of the financial burden, how about we make the rules less IIHF and more physical?  How about the shoot out is thrown out for at least the championship game, if not all the elimination games. I mean, these are 18 and 19 year old kids, they will never be in better shape or have better lung capacity. Let them play until it becomes a cardio festival, cause who is in better shape and more prepared is a big part of determining *actual* games. The longer the OT, the more it becomes "who wants it more" and I'm 100% ok with that. Kids play to much, put an extra day inbetween playoff rounds. 

Just wondering out loud as a Flyers fan here. Going into the draft, I had Formenton, Robert Thomas and Frost all ranked right in together, I actually was having trouble determining who would be the best long term player. I had Formenton ranked a bit ahead of the rest, but thought the other two would have been nice gets also. Count me in as a huge Formenton fan. Frost is doing great and ripping up the OHL and all, but I like the size, hands and skating of Formenton. I also think he's far from a finished product, he could be a lot better than a lot of scouts thought. Will be interesting watching these kids in the near future and see who will be the best. 

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Soooooo.....

If Canada fills the net against the Swiss back up, can we call it "putt'in it on the Ritz"??

This is funny...

Hockey players and their superstitions...

:beer:

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is funny...

Hockey players and their superstitions...

:beer:

I got a chuckle out of it also. I thought the TSN crew was "over analysing" it a bit when they said Hart needed to get over this or the NHL will take advantage of it...LOL, taking things a little to serious me thinks. 

2 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I got a chuckle out of it also. I thought the TSN crew was "over analysing" it a bit when they said Hart needed to get over this or the NHL will take advantage of it...LOL, taking things a little to serious me thinks. 

Yeah he will grow out of it i think by the time he gets to the AHL next year....other things to worry about than that.

Logan Brown expected to play today.  He clearly had what looked like an ankle injury last week.  

Big games today   USA vs Sweden and Canada vs Czech Republic.  I'm hoping for another North American Final.  

12 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Logan Brown expected to play today.  He clearly had what looked like an ankle injury last week.  

Big games today   USA vs Sweden and Canada vs Czech Republic.  I'm hoping for another North American Final.  

Go Sweden!  :se:

Archived