How Good are the Jets?

Podein25

How Good Are the Jets?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How Good Are the Jets?

• Pretty damn good -- they're contenders
    • Damn good -- they'll make noise in the playoffs, but they're not quite there yet
    • Playoff one and done
    • Aberration -- horrible team that is playing over their heads
    • Atrocious
    • Buffalo West

I was gonna do a poll, but can't remember how. 

Anyway, answer the stupid question! My opinion: potentially very good. 

Their game vs NSH on Tues was a good indication of where they are at. They beat a very good, very fast, very tough, Preds team on the road in what felt like a playoff game. Did so without Buff and Enstrom on the blueline.

Not a lot of holes in their lineup right now, top to bottom. A very tough team to play against, with all four lines bringing the pace and having the ability to score (Mathieu Perreault is on the 4th line!). It will be interesting to see what they do at the trade deadline: a depth forward with playoff experience and a depth D-man with same, are what you'd expect to see them pursue. 

@Podein25

Poll added.   I really like the Jets.   Hellboy has come along nicely, they have at 2 great lines and 2 good ones, and their defense is improved.    I still wonder about the coach, but they seem to be coming together.

I wouldn't call them a contender yet, but anything can happen.   Fun team to watch.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

@Podein25

Poll added.   I really like the Jets.   Hellboy has come along nicely, they have at 2 great lines and 2 good ones, and their defense is improved.    I still wonder about the coach, but they seem to be coming together.

I wouldn't call them a contender yet, but anything can happen.   Fun team to watch.

Merci

I made a homer pick and said Contenders. Like I said, what they do at the deadline will be both interesting and important. It should put them firmly into the Contender category (assuming they do something). 

• 3 weeks later...

Bump

Jets keep rolling, almost unbeaten at Home. Expectations being raised.

Favourable Jan-Feb schedule will limit the impact of losing Scheifele for a month or more.  Otherwise, a healthy team with both Buff and Enstrom back playing. 

Bump

Apparently Sharks players find Winnipeg in January "dark and cold." 

Responding in hilarious fashion was the CEO of Economic Development Wpg who said:

"Given that the Jets beat the Sharks 4-1 I can understand that they don't like Winnipeg. It's never fun to lose. Once the NHL playoffs get into full swing and the Sharks have some more time on their hands I'd be happy to tour them around."

Burn!

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2017 at 1:57 PM, Podein25 said:

I was gonna do a poll, but can't remember how. 

Anyway, answer the stupid question! My opinion: potentially very good. 

Their game vs NSH on Tues was a good indication of where they are at. They beat a very good, very fast, very tough, Preds team on the road in what felt like a playoff game. Did so without Buff and Enstrom on the blueline.

Not a lot of holes in their lineup right now, top to bottom. A very tough team to play against, with all four lines bringing the pace and having the ability to score (Mathieu Perreault is on the 4th line!). It will be interesting to see what they do at the trade deadline: a depth forward with playoff experience and a depth D-man with same, are what you'd expect to see them pursue. 

I would hope they would get another good d-man but what would the price be? I can’t see them shaking things up too much. Always looked from in house. I wouldn’t think they would mess with what they got right now. Although haven’t been impressed with Big Byuf this year. Still taking dumb penalties. What do you think about a Big Byuf deal? Would a team bite on his contract and give up a number 2 or 3 defenseman? 

You know, I wasn't a believer pre-season or even earlier in the year, that the Jets were even a playoff team, but paying closer attention to their play as the season wore on, I have grudgingly come to the conclusion that they have just as good a shot as any in the Western Conference now to make an appearance in the Finals.

Of course, I'd personally still rate Nashville a bit ahead of them for a number of reasons, but man, the Jets just get better all the time.

And they have managed to stay at the top or near the top of the TRUE toughest division in the NHL, the West Central.

And they have continued to play well even through injuries to key players, proving their depth.

Mark Scheifele has emerged as an elite type forward who still does all the workmanlike things you want out of a player, Bryan Little is a nice number two C behind him, and the overall defense, as much as they struggled running around their own zone many times earlier in the year, is coming around pretty nicely.

I'd even say at this point, they are "sneaky good".

And the Piece De Resistance, Connor Helleybuyck.

Looking back now, it is LAUGHABLE how anyone thought bringing in Steve Mason was a good idea for an alternative starter or to even shore up the goaltending.

Hell Boy is the man in goal in Winnipeg. 

No ifs,  ands, or 'Buycks' about that. :ahappy:

PS:

I take issue with the last two choices in the poll.

"Atrocious" and "Buffalo West" are the same damned thing....... its a trap choice... :lol:

1 hour ago, Hatrik98 said:

I would hope they would get another good d-man but what would the price be? I can’t see them shaking things up too much. Always looked from in house. I wouldn’t think they would mess with what they got right now. Although haven’t been impressed with Big Byuf this year. Still taking dumb penalties. What do you think about a Big Byuf deal? Would a team bite on his contract and give up a number 2 or 3 defenseman? 

I agree on Buff. You never know when he's gonna have one of his brain farts. But I don't think they would move him. He's a big part of the room, the part that helped ship Kane out and get serious. 

I also agree that they will likely look from within. They certainly won't overpay for depth at the deadline, but they may kick the tires on a depth forward or D-man. They are very young. Some more experience is always nice to have.

• 2 weeks later...

Nashville is playing out of their mind. Trade deadline pick ups made them front runner for The Cup. If they can stay healthy, it will be tough to beat them 4 games in  a series.

9 minutes ago, Hatrik98 said:

Nashville is playing out of their mind. Trade deadline pick ups made them front runner for The Cup. If they can stay healthy, it will be tough to beat them 4 games in  a series.

Yup. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2018 at 11:16 AM, Hatrik98 said:

Not to bad for a 7th round pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived