I switched teams and I have no regrets

Fanboy

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Fanboy  NO REGRETS WHAT'S SO EVER!!!  First year in the league and they are going to win the Stanley Cup.  Then I can finally buy my Stanley Cup champions hat, jersey, t-shirts, license plate cover and can die in peace!!!  Thank God I stopped cheering for those loser Canucks, they have only gotten worse since I fired them in 2014.

This has been the best NHL season for me ever,  Golden Knights are my team for life.

Now if I only put down $50 in Vegas before the season started when the odds were 500-1, I would be walking away with $25,000, instead I'm only going to be getting $100 from a friend when I bet him before the season that the Golden Knights would win the Stanley Cup this year.

On 12/30/2017 at 12:53 AM, JR Ewing said:

In the end, I couldn't bear to switch allegiances. I cheer for my team no matter what.

This.

If you always cheer for your team, whatever is going, you are a fan who watch hockey games. If you switch teams (like you would switch your clothes), then you are a customer who consumes a sport entertainment product. This is 2 different things here.

I've been a very long time Raiders fan, Patriots fan (way before the Belichick-Brady era, when they used to finish 4-12), Cubs fan and Minnesota North Stats/Wild fan. And I'll always cheer for them no matter what. I think when you are moving from one city to another, you likely take your new home and have them as your 2nd favorite team, which is quite normal. But throwing all away by saying and switching teams is just unconceivable for me. The worst thing would just be quitting. Not following anymore, beaten by fatigue. But switching ? Never. Being a fan is like falling in love: you don't decide it. It just falls on you or there's a thing that made you become a fan.

I was often pi$$ed off, loaded with anger, disappointment, all these negative feelings. Just look at the Raiders or the Cubs, always a little hope that is just destroyed once the season is on.

In regard to that, I have an endless respect for Oilers and Maple Leafs fans, eating shít for decades, and who are still there, supporting their team.

I cheer for the Flyers because I love hockey and they are Philadelphia's team.

If they moved to Dubuque, I'm not cheering for them.

But I'd still watch hockey.

24 minutes ago, radoran said:

I cheer for the Flyers because I love hockey and they are Philadelphia's team.

If they moved to Dubuque, I'm not cheering for them.

But I'd still watch hockey.

If a hockey team played in Dubuque, would anyone know, let alone watch?

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Where the hell is Dubuque????     

Oh ...... thanks to Google ....it is in Iowa.  :smileyandcomputer:

When the North Stars moved, it was in a period when I didn't really follow the NHL: The North Stars lost in the Stanley Cup final in 1991, I stopped playing hockey on a regular basis and I lost interest in general (coming from Switzerland, I was quite easy to stop following, given the limitations of media/broadcasting on the other side of the Atlantic).

Then when I got back in business a few years later, I realized that the North Stars were gone and therefore went for a my 2nd favourite team, the Jets. Then they moved and I followed a bit my 3rd favorite team, the Whalers. And guess what, they moved ! After that, the NHL announced the return of the NHL in Minnesota in 1997. So it was a natural thing for me to be a Wild fan since the announcement was made as I was a Minnesota North Stars fan. But the bad news was that they would only began to play in 2000. Damn, 3 years of waiting during which I really didn't care about the NHL. And when the season 2000-2001 started, then I was really back into it with a good ol' tie vs the Flyers.

If I was following the NHL back in 1993 would have I choose to still root for the franchise even in Dallas? I was not a homer, so that would have been a possibility. The jerseys, color scheme, logo remained the same with Broten, Tinordi, Churla, Hatcher, Ludwig still on the team. Hard to say... 

24 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Ok  who knew ????  There is hockey in Iowa .....

Sports

The city is home of the Dubuque Fighting Saints. They began playing in the Tier I Junior A United States Hockey League in the Fall of 2010 at the new Mystique Ice Center. Dubuque was home to the original Fighting Saints team from 1980-2001 when the team relocated to Tulsa, Oklahoma. From 2001-2010 The Dubuque Thunderbirds replaced the Fighting Saints playing in the Tier III Junior A Central States Hockey League at the Five Flags Center. The 2010-2011 Fighting Saints were USHL Clark Cup Champions after defeating the Green Bay Gamblers three games to one in the best-of-five Clark Cup Final. In 2013 the Fighting Saints again won the Clark Cup, defeating the Fargo Force three games to none in the best-of-five Final. The team averaged over 2,600 fans per game in the 2013-2014 regular season, the highest average in team history.

@Villette/Lavaux @Fanboy   I don't understand Leaf fans as nobody has seen them win anything unless you are over 55 now, so what are you cheering for?  To make the playoffs? To win one round of the playoffs?  And I love how the Leafs management who is the richest in all of NHL just dangles the carrot and says "We are rebuilding for 5 years"  Yeah come and watch cesspool hockey at ridicules prices for a team that hasn't won anything since we had the original 6 teams.

Tthe Oilers they had their day in the 80's now they are useless, I mean how many times do they need to win the lottery and still finish dead last  pathetic.

Besides do you think any team really cares if you cheer for them or not, this is a business, they just need people to support them, so do you want to waste your time watching losers or an exciting team that wins cups.  I wasted 30 years following one loser team, and no more now, Golden Knights are my team for life and they will win the Cup this year

12 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Where the hell is Dubuque????     

Oh ...... thanks to Google ....it is in Iowa.  :smileyandcomputer:

Dubuque is my "go to" for "where the hell is that?"

😂

4 hours ago, Fanboy said:

@Fanboy  NO REGRETS WHAT'S SO EVER!!!  First year in the league and they are going to win the Stanley Cup.  Then I can finally buy my Stanley Cup champions hat, jersey, t-shirts, license plate cover and can die in peace!!!  Thank God I stopped cheering for those loser Canucks, they have only gotten worse since I fired them in 2014.

This has been the best NHL season for me ever,  Golden Knights are my team for life.

Now if I only put down $50 in Vegas before the season started when the odds were 500-1, I would be walking away with $25,000, instead I'm only going to be getting $100 from a friend when I bet him before the season that the Golden Knights would win the Stanley Cup this year.

By "team for life" do you mean forever, or until they suck for a number of years?

4 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

By "team for life" do you mean forever, or until they suck for a number of years?

It's like a "lifetime warranty."   5-7 years.

42 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

37 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It's like a "lifetime warranty."   5-7 years.

As I understand it, under the right circumstances, the material used in Vegas jerseys is quite flammable..... 😏

On 12/30/2017 at 9:22 PM, ruxpin said:

The closest I ever came is way back in  1989 or 90 (around then) when the Flyers, in very short time frame, traded both Propp and Poulin to the Bruins for garbage.    Had it been in the era of easily being able to watch other teams on TV, it's possibly I wouldn't still be a Flyer fan.  I would have followed them to Boston.

Yeah, they were two of my favorite players ever for the Flyers. I disliked the Bruins before that time, and do now, but I rooted hard for them against Edmonton in the finals. Of course, they had the same fate we did versus them.

@JR Ewing Excellent question, I'm glad you asked.  Well since I stuck around with one loser team for 30 years through thick and thin, I figure another 30 years with Vegas will be my lifetime, so yeah Vegas is my team for the rest of my life.  They have already accomplished more than the Canucks ever did so yeah I'm sticking with Vegas for life.

Especially if they win the Cup, I will buy my Stanley Cup swag and after that I don't care if they suck for decades, I can finally say I saw my hockey team finally win the Cup!!

I have seen my Yankees win 5 World Championships, yet I have never seen my hockey team win a Cup, that is why I switched to Vegas, because no Canadian team is winning the cup until 2050, I will be dead by then, and I just want to see a winner before I die, unlike any Canadian team fan who will go to their grave cheering for a team who can't win anything in the playoffs

Oh and incidentally the Golden Knights jerseys are a lot lighter and let the air pass through, I have 3 of them,  so you don't get as hot in them probably because of the desert weather, and they are flame retardant as opposed to the flammable Canadian team jerseys.  Boy those 7 Canuck jerseys turned to ash pretty quick

3 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Oh and incidentally the Golden Knights jerseys are a lot lighter and let the air pass through, I have 3 of them,  so you don't get as hot in them probably because of the desert weather, and they are flame retardant as opposed to the flammable Canadian team jerseys

This was done league wide for ALL 31 NHL teams at the start of the 2017-18 season.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-jerseys-by-adidas-unveiled-for-2017-18-season/c-290020400

The National Hockey League (NHL®) and adidas today unveiled the new ADIZERO Authentic NHL jerseys and uniforms for all 31 NHL teams that will make their on-ice debut with the 2017-18 season.

•    Lighter - Featuring new cresting materials and construction technology, the ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey reduces crest weight by up to 46%, while a single layer perforated numbering system reduces number weight by up to 60%, in order to deliver a new jersey that is up to 19% lighter when compared to the current NHL Jersey. 
  •    Cooler - The ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey features adidas Clima® technology in each of the jersey fabrics to deliver breathability and enhanced performance. Combining moisture management technology and a streamlined silhouette to maximize air flow circulation with materials that are up to 133% more permeable than fabrics currently used on ice allows athletes to be cooler.
  •    Stronger - Constructed for durability, the ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey fabrics are up to 27% stronger in burst testing and up to 72% tougher in abrasion testing compared to the current NHL jersey.

Excellent point and info, BUT how many fans have brand new 2017-2018 jerseys, as opposed to the 2003 Karyia jersey, or the 1993 Gilmour jersey or the 2000 Brodeur jersey? or any other favorite player jersey?

21 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Excellent point and info, BUT how many fans have brand new 2017-2018 jerseys, as opposed to the 2003 Karyia jersey, or the 1993 Gilmour jersey or the 2000 Brodeur jersey? or any other favorite player jersey?

Probably not those who are actually fans and stick with their fricken teams.   I know I'm being hard on you, but it's only because I have zero respect for what you're saying.

@ruxpin I couldn't care less what you say, I'm going to be on the strip in Vegas in 2 weeks celebrating with the Golden Knights, first of many Stanley Cups, while you wallow in misery beside the Liberty Bell crying for Giroux to carry the Flyers MAYBE to the second round next year.

Golden Knights, best team in the world and I'M LOVING IT!!!

@ruxpin here is a question for you, Would it make a difference if I never followed hockey and then decided to become a Golden Knights fan in their first year, as opposed to firing a team after 30 loser years and becoming a fan of the Golden Knights from day 1?

Does that make a difference to you or you just hate all Golden Knights fans?

26 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Does that make a difference to you or you just hate all Golden Knights fans?

You're not special you know, @ruxpin hates ALL things.

You should know that by now.

28 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

@ruxpin here is a question for you, Would it make a difference if I never followed hockey and then decided to become a Golden Knights fan in their first year, as opposed to firing a team after 30 loser years and becoming a fan of the Golden Knights from day 1?

Does that make a difference to you or you just hate all Golden Knights fans?   -- Why? Do you know any?

Yes, of course, on the first paragraph, and I've made that quite clear.  Not sure what you're not getting.  This has nothing whatsoever to do with the Golden Knights or their (actual) fans.  And it doesn't for you either.   It's just a random selection of a team so you can feel all good about buying a bunch of crap you'll only burn when they return to earth.  

Archived