I miss the old NHL

Fanboy

I tell ya who else misses the old NHL... Radko Gudas.

Man, if this guy would have been a defenseman, say, oh, around the early 90's to about the early 2000's, he would have been a HIGHLY sought after commodity.

Big, bruising defender who not only hits, but skates decently enough with a decent point shot....and a guy NOT afraid to play on the edge, occasionally crossing the border, and not really caring whether your name is 'superstar' or 'journeyman'.... he is an equal opportunity wrecker.

I don't know from personal fan experience of hockey in the 70's and 80's (except to know that those decades were REALLY nuts), so don't know if Radko would have fit in there, but the 90's into the turn of the millennium? Sure, absolutely.

In today's NHL, Radko is considered by many an "animal" that needs watching and if he even LOOKS at another player cross eyed, call him for 'unsportsmanlike staring' or some such....

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

occasionally crossing the border, and not really caring whether your name is 'superstar' or 'journeyman'.... he is an equal opportunity wrecker

To your point, in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s (hell, probably 5 years ago), he wouldn't have been anywhere near any border.   He would have been awesome.   Here, he may be soon out of a job.

On 29/12/2017 at 5:31 PM, ruxpin said:

They lost me with the 1994 strike, and I never really went back.  I enjoyed the Phillies' teams circa 2006-2010 but rarely, if ever, watched a 9-inning game (if I did, it was playoffs or world series).

The 1994 strike killed the Montreal Expos and greatly damaged the Toronto Blue Jays.

At that moment in time, Toronto had just won back to back World Series titles and broke the MLB season attendance record. The Expos were the best team in the National League. The strike (the first of its kind to cancel a season) killed fan interest in Montreal and the resulting fire sale killed the franchise. Fans never came back. That was the Expos only good season in their franchise history.

The Jays have really struggled to win back fans since 1994 because not only did the team go into decline, but interest was already low from the strike. The attendance at SkyDome went from 50,000 fans per game in 1993 to about 15,000 fans per game when baseball resumed in 1995, and the Jays returned with a horrible team that wouldn't get a sniff at the playoffs until 2015.

10 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I miss it sometimes too, provided it doesn't get back to three fights per game where it was.  :)

I kind of liked it when there were 3 fights at the same time. 

I don't miss the staged fights. And sometimes the fights had the same effect, for me, as extended fight (or even chase) scenes in a movie. If it's the combination of built up emotion or climactic in some way and/or if it's pivotal and outcome changing, then it's exciting to me.  Otherwise, in both cases, it's an interruption and a time filler/killer. 

They don't even let them fight half the time ! THAT REALLY SUCKS!  Sometimes that's just what a team needs, can't always yank the goalie, for a momentum change, and a timely bonecrushing hit or a decent fight can do ALOT !!!!! I'm not saying go back to the seventies (although I wouldn't mind) don't take it out of the game, period!

1 hour ago, Pucked in the head said:

They don't even let them fight half the time ! THAT REALLY SUCKS!  Sometimes that's just what a team needs, can't always yank the goalie, for a momentum change, and a timely bonecrushing hit or a decent fight can do ALOT !!!!! I'm not saying go back to the seventies (although I wouldn't mind) don't take it out of the game, period!

The league has been taken over by Kevin Collins. Hated that guy.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I must say i miss it too.

Damn a shootout deciding a game.

I wish they would at least add 5 minutes to the 3 on 3 before going to a shootout.

I wish they'd extend the time, as well.   Most coaches only have a handful of players out during the extra session.  With longer time, they'd either have to expand the bench or risk playing very tired players.   And I wish they'd get rid of the three point game, but that's another beaten to death discussion altogether.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I wish they'd extend the time, as well.   Most coaches only have a handful of players out during the extra session.  With longer time, they'd either have to expand the bench or risk playing very tired players.   And I wish they'd get rid of the three point game, but that's another beaten to death discussion altogether.

I'd LOVE for the 3 on 3 to go 10 minutes.

That would almost guarantee the shoot out never sees the light of day in deciding a game.

Well, at least shoot out outcomes would be greatly reduced anyways.

But all that open ice, and six of the best skaters and snipers out there?

I'd say the chances of the game being decided in straight OT is much better.

On 3/23/2018 at 11:40 AM, ruxpin said:

Do you go back to the days --probably 70s and 80s -- when you turned it on mid-game and had to wait for them to go to commercial to put the score up?   No nothing in terms of graphics.   I don't really want to go back to when the game had to be halted for a dinosaur to pass, but to the time you describe (in terms of onscreen graphics) would be nice.    Hockey isn't actually too bad with it typically (I suppose it depends upon who's broadcasting), but I completely agree about baseball.

Hey Rux! Yeah I go back to those days. Certainly an era example 

when less = more did indeed equal just that. 

"I don't really want to go back to when the game had to be halted for a dinosaur to pass"-- :D

Despite some :hockey: arenas now displaying alternating ad graphics up and behind the nets, 

TV hockey's easier on the eyes than most TV baseball. I hope hockey watching doesn't get

as bad as some stations that broadcast baseball. Even after all these years watching ice battles,

I still scramble sometimes to find the blasted puck! :) 

Oldish Man Newest Lights doesn't need any more distractions given that. :nonono:

• 2 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:48 PM, ruxpin said:

That first line is certainly true, but God, I miss it.   You're right, though, that the sport was never going to grow if they kept the fighting the way it was.

I also think the last line is largely true and I think I miss that the most.  I miss the ferocity and the emotion.   Everyone yammers "skill, skill skill!"   I get that.  There's something to that, I suppose.   But sometimes I think they should just get rid of the nets and the scoreboard and go to a panel of judges and just wear weird costumes.  Or a Wild uniform.

LOL about the Wild uni. Absolutely right about the emotion. I would get so emotionally involved in wanting my team(North Stars) to not only win but kick somebodys ass. We had a huge rivalry with the Blackhawks in the '80's--I literally hated that team. I swear I couldn't sleep for the 2 days before I went to the BHawks games. I should come clean and say the other  2 teams I couldn't stand were the Bruins and the Flyers(that was a long time ago) mainly because we couldn't beat them--and Bobby Clarke. Those were the days!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I miss the days of no salary cap..... but I made a separate thread about that. 

Somehow the NHL has decided to implement a model that would sink MLB if it was ever tried there. Imagine Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox fans being told they have to pay 10x as much for tickets and then field the same roster that the Miami Marlins have.....  lol.   

On 12/29/2017 at 9:24 PM, Fanboy said:

I really miss the old NHL from the 80', 90's and early 2000's.  I miss the big body checks, the fights, now it's all about speed. 

I'm slowly losing interest in hockey. 

Me too minus checks in the head.

Me too. That's why I find myself quite often watching clips from Youtube.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived