Maple Leaf announcers are the worst biased homers

Fanboy

I know every play by play announcer is always going to be biased towards the home team, even though they should be objective when calling a game.  I understand that, but the Maple Leafs announcer Joe Bowen has to be the worst Leaf blowing announcer ever.  He is even worse then Bob Cole and Harry Neal were back in the day.

Joe Bowen with his HOLY MACKINAW!!, if I hear it anymore I'm going to vomit,  I mean the Leafs have sucked for what 50 years now?  They haven't even won a round of the playoffs in over 10 years yet Joe Bowen makes each play by a Leaf player sound like it's game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Example.   Sydney Crosby comes across the line, drops it back to Malkin, Malkin deeks the 2 defensemen, and hits the cross bar, BUT BACK COMES BOZAK, ACROSS THE LINE!!,  passes over to Khadri, Khadri shoots 20 feet wide of the net (yet Bowen will be) HOLY MACKINAW!! KHADRI JUST MISSED THE NET!!!

Joe Bowen is the worst Leaf blowing announcer in the NHL!!! 

Sounds like the former Canucks fan has a bit of p#### envy about Toronto.   That's okay.  It had to suck being a Canucks fan all those years and never winning anything and being the place people said "where?" when they were new to hockey.   It's all good.

Toronto announcers are homers.   Their fans are rabid and a bit delusional even when their team is a corpse (not currently).   But I'll take the Toronto announcers any day of the week over Boston's.    

Actually, given the choice, I'll go watch an opera in Portuguese, but if it the only options were Toronto, Boston, or Buffalo, I gotta go with Toronto, then Buffalo, then set myself on fire.

So stop watching the game with Leafs' announcers. Get the NHL centre ice package on cable and watch it with biased announcers from the other team. Just keep in mind that the Leafs will still win....  ;)

On 12/29/2017 at 4:26 PM, Fanboy said:

Joe Bowen with his HOLY MACKINAW!!,

Joe Bowen is my favourite announcer. He's fun to listen to whether he's on radio or whether he's doing the CBC TV broadcasts.  :)

I actually like when the commentator is a homer. I figure if your own commentators aren't going to cheer for your team, who is? I'm pretty sure every commentator is a homer for the team they represent. They always cheer louder for their own team. 

8 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Joe Bowen is my favourite announcer. He's fun to listen to whether he's on radio or whether he's doing the CBC TV broadcasts.  :)

I actually like when the commentator is a homer. I figure if your own commentators aren't going to cheer for your team, who is? I'm pretty sure every commentator is a homer for the team they represent. They always cheer louder for their own team. 

You know I agree. 

But there's a difference between cheering louder -- which is what Bowen does, and Jackson (the Flyers play by play), for that matter -- and cheering against the opponent -- which is what Jack Edwards does in Boston. 

The opponent always did something egregious that needs to be taken out of the game (like a forward pass), a minor penalty should be a suspension and criminal charges and a grand jury investigation. And everything the Bruins do is faultless and laudable.  All in a voice that makes you want to field dress puppies. 

Objectively, Bowen and the rest of that team really shouldn't make any worst list. 

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Could you imagine the volume and the blood coming from the eyes had Steve Moore been a Bruin? 

Ya, I can barely stand Bruins games with Edwards talking....same goes for the Sabres games. And anything Doc Emerick.

The guys doing the Blues game yesterday sounded like they were teaching hockey to aliens from another planet.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, I can barely stand Bruins games with Edwards talking....same goes for the Sabres games. And anything Doc Emerick.

Agree on all counts. Oddly, I wasn't bothered by Emerick when he was the Flyers play by play. He either got worse or it seemed okay on a local broadcast. 

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Agree on all counts. Oddly, I wasn't bothered by Emerick when he was the Flyers play by play. He either got worse or it seemed okay on a local broadcast. 

He's like a guy who doesn't know actual hockey terms making up words to describe the game. I know some people think he's great...but it doesn't even sound like hockey he's commentating on to me.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He's like a guy who doesn't know actual hockey terms making up words to describe the game. I know some people think he's great...but it doesn't even sound like hockey he's commentating on to me.

He's actually distracting from the game. When you're focusing on the announcer rather than the game, that's a problem.  And turning everything in the house into a verb distracts me. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

But there's a difference between cheering louder -- which is what Bowen does, and Jackson (the Flyers play by play), for that matter -- and cheering against the opponent -- which is what Jack Edwards does in Boston. 

I don't think I've ever listened to a Boston Bruins broadcast. To cheer against the other team would definitely be unprofessional I agree.  

50 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

He's actually distracting from the game. When you're focusing on the announcer rather than the game, that's a problem.  And turning everything in the house into a verb distracts me. 

While on this topic, the one (and only) Leafs commentator that drives me crazy is ...... (drum roll) ...... color man Craig Simpson

I don't like Simpson's voice. It just grates on me. Compounding the problem is the fact that Simpson will talk for the entire length of every play stoppage non-stop and into the live action of the next play, talking over Jim Hughson. It's repetitive nonsense commentary with the sole purpose of filling time. He actually draws out his words to make every sentence longer so that he's basically an Ent speaking in Entish.... taking a very long time to say not much at all.  :(

5 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

he's basically an Ent speaking in Entish.

This is a fantastic reference!

I haven't listened to a lot of Leafs' broadcasts but will listen for this next time I do.

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This is a fantastic reference!

I haven't listened to a lot of Leafs' broadcasts but will listen for this next time I do.

For me, I like to have some time during the broadcast where there is "dead air", and that time would occur during a play stoppage. I think less is more. 

In the case of Simpson, he never stops talking. (I'm sure he is being instructed to be that way by the higher ups, but I think it takes away from the game.) It should be immediately noticeable.  :bonkingheadonwall:

11 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

For me, I like to have some time during the broadcast where there is "dead air", and that time would occur during a play stoppage. I think less is more. 

In the case of Simpson, he never stops talking. (I'm sure he is being instructed to be that way by the higher ups, but I think it takes away from the game.) It should be immediately noticeable.  :bonkingheadonwall:

Frankly, Words, I think your entire post is biased, homeriffic, and unprofessional.....and for the love of puck STOP posting over the dead air I am trying to enjoy, dammit!  

:ph34r:

9 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Frankly, Words, I think your entire post is biased, homeriffic, and unprofessional.....and for the love of puck STOP posting over the dead air I am trying to enjoy, dammit!  

:ph34r:

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like the commentators to be sort of like the "friend next to me watching the game". They don't need to tell me the obvious. ie: Things I can plainly see on the TV. (This isn't radio.) Plus they don't have to talk constantly. Let me watch the game. During a play stoppage, say something brief (if it adds to the game) but don't just talk through an entire stoppage about the play I just watched. I saw it. I don't need an audio-book-like replay. 

Also, I'm more interested in the stats, and I've noticed that commentators rarely ever talk about how the team has been doing recently (their W-L record in the past five games say) and they never talk numbers involving the players unless it's ice time or some really obscure and useless stat like "number of offensive zone faceoff wins in the third period at the ACC when the team is trailing by two goals". I don't care! Give me goals, assists, points! Talk about shots on goal. Stick to the core stats and show me how player X is doing this year versus last year (if something is noteworthy). 

End rant. lol. :)

8 hours ago, ruxpin said:

It's kind of like how the parts of a Taylor Swift song that don't have vocals are the most enjoyable part of the song. 

I went to the wax museum in Niagara Falls and they had a Taylor Swift wax figure. If they're actual size (which I think they all are) then Taylor Swift is quite tall.  ie: 6ft tall.  :IDunnoSmiley:

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I went to the wax museum in Niagara Falls and they had a Taylor Swift wax figure. If they're actual size (which I think they all are) then Taylor Swift is quite tall.  ie: 6ft tall.  :IDunnoSmiley:

Yeah, she's 5'10".

She's shorter than my daughter (6'0"), but she's still tall. 

I don't think height is why Taylor can't sing, though. 

Archived