Morgan Frost

King Knut

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well all i know is that now makes the Schenn trade bad....

:beer:

Now hold on. We all know the main reason for that trade was to get Jori in a Flyers jersey. This kid's alright, I guess. Also next year's extra first round pick is an okay bonus I guess. But really, it was clearly a Lehtera trade. 100%.

:cheers:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, elmatus said:

But really, it was clearly a Lehtera trade. 100%.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

...it's a secret the Cup is ours now!!!!!!!!!

:beer:

Three stars of the week

1. Morgan Frost (3 games, 1 goal, 6 assists, 7 points)
  2. Isaac Ratcliffe (3 games, 4 goals, 1 assists, 5 points)
  3. Tanner Laczynski (2 games, 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 points; 10-game point streak)

Prospect leading scorers

1. Morgan Frost – 79 points (28 goals, 51 assists) in 47 games (1.68 PT/G)
  2. Tanner Laczynski – 36 points (12 goals, 24 assists) in 26 games (1.38 PT/G)
  3. Wade Allison – 30 points (15 goals, 15 assists) in 22 games (1.36 PT/G)
  4. Cooper Marody – 31 points (9 goals, 22 assists) in 26 games (1.19 PT/G)
  5. Carsen Twarynski – 53 points (31 goals, 22 assists) in 46 games (1.16 PT/G)
  6. Matthew Strome – 49 points (28 goals, 21 assists) in 46 games (1.07 PT/G)
  7. German Rubtsov – 34 points (12 goals, 22 assists) in 34 games (1.00 PT/G)

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Morgan Frost – 79 points (28 goals, 51 assists) in 47 games (1.68 PT/G)

At what point is it reasonable to start wondering if this kid could make the team next season? I can't help but feel those numbers are firmly in elite territory.

8 minutes ago, elmatus said:

At what point is it reasonable to start wondering if this kid could make the team next season? I can't help but feel those numbers are firmly in elite territory.

I guess you can actually wonder it at any point. But it won't be answered till next camp/preseason.

He will have to stand a lot reason would say i think not to be sent back to juniors since he can't be sent to the AHL during the season if need be.

But after Patrick was kept without looking outstanding i honestly don't know about Hak and Hextall.

The fact it took them so long to send Travis down was shocking to myself. So i really don't know.

But yeah those numbers are looking elitish i think. One more year of junior is they way i lean as of right now.

27 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Good question. In Giroux's draft+1 year, he put up 1.78 points per game (112pts in 63 GP), and returned for a final year to put up 1.93 points per game (106 in 55). But he was in the Q.

If we look at OHL players around the same draft position as Frost (28th) - 

Fabbri went 21st overall in 2014, and in his draft+1 year, put up 1.7 ppg (51 in 30). He made the Blues in draft+2, and put up 0.51 ppg in his rookie year.

McCann (24th, 2014) - Draft+1 - 1.45 ppg

Draft+2 - NHL, 0.26 ppg.

In his 3rd NHL season, he's at 0.35.

Goldobin (27th, 2014) - Draft - 1.40 ppg

Draft+1 (went to Finland) - 0.55

Draft+2 until now - bounced back and forth between AHL and NHL, total of 9 points in 37 NHL games played (0.24 ppg)

Ho-sang (28th, 2014) - Draft+1 - 1.35 ppg

Draft+2 (OHL) - 1.24 ppg

Draft+3 & 4 - 0.45, 0.54

He's bounced back and forth between AHL and NHL in his first few NHL seasons.

Konecny (24th, 2015)

Draft+1 - 1.68

Draft+2 (NHL) - 0.4

Draft+3 (NHL) - 0.45

There's a bunch of others, but it looks like he could make the squad, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect anywhere from 0.3-0.5 ppg.

Of course, a lot depends on his linemates.

37 minutes ago, elmatus said:

He's looking like the smartest move the team has made in a long while and he's definitely going to make things interesting next year.

As I see it, the team has two open slots at Center next fall and Laughton will be in one of them (Whether they'll keep him as 4C or move him up to 3C will likely depend on who the other center is).  That leaves 1 Center slot for Vecchione, Rubstov & Frost to battle it out for as far as I can tell. 

Without knowing jack about jack internal politics wise, I'm kind of assuming that Vecchione has the edge on the other two.  Ruby hasn't played 30 games with the same team in... I'm not sure if he ever has actually.  He was a little banged up and is doing OK on the year (still a point per game guy) but isn't carving out the impression for himself that Frost is.  Most importantly, though, he'll be AHL eligible next year.  

Frost will have to look like an elite Calder Candidate type center in camp and preseason to beat out Vecchione, not because Vecchione has been stellar, but because Vecchione is more of a Hakstol type player and fits a 3rd or especially 4th line role really well. 

Hextall doesn't like to use the 9 game eligibility rule thing, but depending on how everyone looks in camp, trying it out on Frost might be the thing to do.  If this kid can come out and play like a champ out of the gate and prove he belongs then great.  But if he looks like Patrick did after 9 games, they can send him back to the OHL and bring up Vecchione with little trouble.  

I think the major difference between him and Patrick is that they came up with the idea to move Giroux back to the wing kind of on the fly (no pun intended) during the preseason. I think we can all agree that was definitely the right thing to do, but it also created an open roster spot at center.  THey had a lot of choices to fill that role which is probably one of the rasons moving Giroux was an easier choice, but none of those choices were particularly wonderful.  Patrick was still recovering from surgery and looked a bit meh, BUT If they didn't keep Patrick and sent him back to Juniors, who else were they going to slot into that middle 6 spot?  Vecchione?  Lehtera?  Another rookie or a big, heavy on the puck slug of a player?  

I think if they hadn't moved GIroux to wing, Lindblom would probably have made the team and Patrick would have gone back to juniors.  

Perhaps if that experiment hadn't shown such dividends so quickly, maybe they would have sent Patrick back to Juniors despite Hextall's misgivings over the concept.  Who knows?

I think he goes back to the Soo...he's not even 19 yet and could certainly use a bit more filling out. 

Next season he'll be relying more on himself than the likes of Katchouk and Timmons (which he did absolutely fine with this season while they were away) and he can get the WJ experience as well. 

Plus he can get some more gel time with future Flyer prospect Barrett Hayton (right BCF?)

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I think he goes back to the Soo...he's not even 19 yet and could certainly use a bit more filling out. 

Next season he'll be relying more on himself than the likes of Katchouk and Timmons (which he did absolutely fine with this season while they were away) and he can get the WJ experience as well. 

Plus he can get some more gel time with future Flyer prospect Barrett Hayton (right BCF?)

See, I'd really like to see Vecchione get some NHL time this year.  Maybe Hextall's thinking of shopping Filppula for the deadline so they can get Vex minutes in the stretch run.  

If they Play Vex and he's okay, then they know they can let him and Frost duke it out next summer without risking anything.  If they play him and he sucks, then they know they should probably sign a 3C. 

They'll have a few extra bucks this summer and it would be good to know if they need to be shopping for a short term 3C.  I don't really feel like watching them sign Filppula to an extension to fill that role. If Vecchione isn't going to cut it, I'd rather find out so Hextall can make a move in July.  

No matter what, Frost will have his work cut out for him next summer and I'm frankly not even sure making the team is on his radar yet.  The kid seems pretty focused on what he's doing.   

It's just going to be really hard for hextall to know what he needs to get if he doesn't know what he has.  I don't want to see another year of Hakstol playing Filppula out of obligation.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Three stars of the week

1. Morgan Frost (3 games, 1 goal, 6 assists, 7 points)
  2. Isaac Ratcliffe (3 games, 4 goals, 1 assists, 5 points)
  3. Tanner Laczynski (2 games, 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 points; 10-game point streak)

Prospect leading scorers

1. Morgan Frost – 79 points (28 goals, 51 assists) in 47 games (1.68 PT/G)
  2. Tanner Laczynski – 36 points (12 goals, 24 assists) in 26 games (1.38 PT/G)
  3. Wade Allison – 30 points (15 goals, 15 assists) in 22 games (1.36 PT/G)
  4. Cooper Marody – 31 points (9 goals, 22 assists) in 26 games (1.19 PT/G)
  5. Carsen Twarynski – 53 points (31 goals, 22 assists) in 46 games (1.16 PT/G)
  6. Matthew Strome – 49 points (28 goals, 21 assists) in 46 games (1.07 PT/G)
  7. German Rubtsov – 34 points (12 goals, 22 assists) in 34 games (1.00 PT/G)

I can't believe Allison got hurt.  I was really hoping at least the Phantoms would get a chance to see him for the playoffs this year.  Bummer!

9 minutes ago, King Knut said:

See, I'd really like to see Vecchione get some NHL time this year.  Maybe Hextall's thinking of shopping Filppula for the deadline so they can get Vex minutes in the stretch run.  

I'm pretty sure Hextall was thinking of flipping Filp at some point from the moment he came back in the trade.

If they Play Vex and he's okay, then they know they can let him and Frost duke it out next summer without risking anything.  If they play him and he sucks, then they know they should probably sign a 3C. 

Vecchionne has SIX years on Frost...and is probably a better 3C fit. 

They'll have a few extra bucks this summer and it would be good to know if they need to be shopping for a short term 3C.  I don't really feel like watching them sign Filppula to an extension to fill that role. If Vecchione isn't going to cut it, I'd rather find out so Hextall can make a move in July.  

Ya, I'd rather deal Filppula for whatever we can get at the deadline (a 3rd?), and sign an equal talent for less (IF vecchione can't cut it...I think he could)

No matter what, Frost will have his work cut out for him next summer and I'm frankly not even sure making the team is on his radar yet.  The kid seems pretty focused on what he's doing.   

He certainly didn't pout when he didn't even get an invite to TC this year...he put the Hounds on his back and kept that train a rollin'.

It's just going to be really hard for hextall to know what he needs to get if he doesn't know what he has.  I don't want to see another year of Hakstol playing Filppula out of obligation.

Agreed!

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Had Frost been born a couple of months later, would he be considered the top prospect in this draft ?

I don't imagine he would be considered the top prospect, but he would have been in the top ten for sure, quite possibly top five.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I expect you're right. I bet he's the next "Go back and be the best player in junior" guy. Worked for Provo and Hart, so why not?

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm pretty sure Hextall was thinking of flipping Filp at some point from the moment he came back in the trade.

Vecchionne has SIX years on Frost...and is probably a better 3C fit. 

Ya, I'd rather deal Filppula for whatever we can get at the deadline (a 3rd?), and sign an equal talent for less (IF vecchione can't cut it...I think he could)

He certainly didn't pout when he didn't even get an invite to TC this year...he put the Hounds on his back and kept that train a rollin'.

Agreed!

Shouldn’t be hard to get Filppula to waive the NTC, I imagine.  Even if the Flyers are still looking good. A contender is is a contender.  

Vecchione is a man full grown, but the long and short is that the best case scenario is for Frost to eventually become the 3C.  I’d say they could shift him to wing, but his vision and hockey sense really seem to indicate he’s a natural Center.  If he’s going to work out, the Flyers are going to be running 3 scoring lines.  so what do we do with Vecchione? 

I think him not getting a shot would be a true shame.  I almost wonder if he’s the 4C of the future and Laughton plays on his wing.  

The way Filppula has been playing I kinda want to see Laughton between Raff and Jake right now anyway.  

Not that he’s terrible, just that he seems ready to retire probably.  Laughton’s energy and speed could be something with them might be fun for the push, but I know it’s not the long term plan.  

Hopefully Frost holds up.  The thought of a Frost, Allison Lindblom line is a lot of fun. 2020 can’t get here fast enough. 

11 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Had Frost been born a couple of months later, would he be considered the top prospect in this draft ?

No way....Dahlin is a lock there it seems. Svechnikov/Zadina/Boquist should round out top 4. He could go anywhere after that I'd think....especially with the lack of C depth in the top ten.

14 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I think Frost goes back to the Soo next year as well. There's no need to rush him as he's still not physically ready, plus, he'd more than likely have to play on the wing. I think the Flyers want him at center and they probably want him to experience a WJC tournament as well. 

As for Hayton, yep, I'm convinced that that will be who the Flyers draft with their first pick. It just makes too much sense. He plays a game that is built around what the Flyers are trying to do (strong player in all three zones, great hockey sense, will sacrifice stats and plays in order to fit into the system) plus they've probably seen him more than any other prospect because of Frost. It should also be noted that Rick Pracey, one of the Flyers chief scouts and a former GM in Colorado, loves his OHL prospects and has a big say in how things roll come draft time. 

6 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I think Frost goes back to the Soo next year as well. There's no need to rush him as he's still not physically ready, plus, he'd more than likely have to play on the wing.

Just curious... how do you see the move to wing happening?

The only reason I could see him STAYING in Philly is becasue they kinda need a 3C next year and it's very possible he outplays Vecchione for the job.  

It's not what I think should happen, but it's the main reason I'd like Vecchione to get as many minutes as he can this year.  

It's been mentioned before, but getting Patrick kinda messed up their succession planning, I think. 

They were probably banking on G, Coots, Filppula, and Laughton down the middle. I don't know that G moves to the wing if we don't get Patrick in the draft. 

But then again, that still didn't leave room for Vecchione. I'd guess he's the most NHL ready of our LHV prospects, and it would be nice to know what we have.

Same with, oh I don't know, Lyon and Stolarz who can't buy a start.

54 minutes ago, brelic said:

It's been mentioned before, but getting Patrick kinda messed up their succession planning, I think. 

It's a pretty good problem to have.

As a side note, it is definitely not a bad thing to have centermen playing on the wing. The opposite isn't generally true, but there's nothing wrong with an abundance of centers imo.

9 hours ago, King Knut said:

Just curious... how do you see the move to wing happening?

The only reason I could see him STAYING in Philly is becasue they kinda need a 3C next year and it's very possible he outplays Vecchione for the job.  

It's not what I think should happen, but it's the main reason I'd like Vecchione to get as many minutes as he can this year.  

He moves to the wing if he makes the Flyers. That's the only place for him. Honestly, do you see Hakstol trusting another 19 year old at center? I can't see Hakstol doing that. 

As for Vecchione, I don't think he gets the third or fourth line center. I expect him to move to the wing in a bottom six role. I fully expect Laughton becomes center number and Vorobyov becoming the fourth center. 

32 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

He moves to the wing if he makes the Flyers. That's the only place for him. Honestly, do you see Hakstol trusting another 19 year old at center? I can't see Hakstol doing that. 

As for Vecchione, I don't think he gets the third or fourth line center. I expect him to move to the wing in a bottom six role. I fully expect Laughton becomes center number and Vorobyov becoming the fourth center. 

Vecchione I guess could see, though I think it’s not th best move for him, but a big part of what makes Frost Frost and why they took him is he vision and play making.  I expect him to be on the OHL next year because of his age, but he could make the choice to send him back very difficult. 

But then again Vecchione is a monster on face offs. Seems like a shame to wing him. 

Why do you think it’s Vorobyov?

Archived