Is hockey Canada's sport still??

Fanboy

Canada has always been known for hockey, it's their national sport, every kid grows up playing it.  But is it still Canada's sport?  USA has been dominating Canada in the junior tournament for the last 6 years, in the NHL no Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup in over 25 years and yes most teams still have most players on their rosters as Canadian, but USA is starting to really dominate hockey, more young talent is coming from the USA and it seems like the prestige title of hockey being Canada's game is starting to wean.

Is hockey still Canada's game or has the USA taken over the game?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Fanboy said:

Canada has always been known for hockey, it's their national sport, every kid grows up playing it.  But is it still Canada's sport?  USA has been dominating Canada in the junior tournament for the last 6 years, in the NHL no Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup in over 25 years and yes most teams still have most players on their rosters as Canadian, but USA is starting to really dominate hockey, more young talent is coming from the USA and it seems like the prestige title of hockey being Canada's game is starting to wean.

When the US beats Canada best on best...then start this thread. When they do it again...I'll listen.

The US junior program has come along really well. The WJs really shows that. But most years Canadas best players are already in the NHL. And winning the WJs doesn't make you the best in the world...it makes you arguably the best juniors.

1 hour ago, Fanboy said:

Dominated?> Really?  The Carlson goal came in OT. Last year was decided by a shootout, this year shoot out. Just for the record, I consider the talent difference in these two countries to be razor thin at the moment, has been for years. 

Add the population totals for the USA and Russia, the hundreds and hundreds of million of population to draw from compared the 38 mill for Canada....yet, Canada has more NHL players than Russia and USA combined. Wrap your head around that....that is astounding. Let's go one further, take the top 20 scorers from the past 10 years, break them down by country and see which nation produces the most NHL point producing stars per capita. When you are done the math, you will have your answer, yes this is STILL our game. 

Since the NHL has joined the Olympics, Canada has won 3 of 4 Gold Medals, Sweden has the other won in the past 20 years. So, in other words, our VERY best, beat your very best everytime when it counted, with a Gold on the line. 

To say the USA has dominated Canada because of a blizzard and a few shoot out goal, that is just not right. If Canada won that way I would consider it cheap. It's not the way men settle things. A ton of respect for what USA has done and continues to do is impressive. No way are they dominating us, 

Finally some movement from the IIHF on shoot outs deciding Gold Medals. 

Apparently, instead of a shoot out next year, 65 year old Henry Winkler will jump a tank of sharks in downtown Las Vegas. Canada and the USA will have fountains on either side of the jump, and whichever fountain Fonzie's bike lands closest to wins the Gold...true story. 

EDIT...as an added bonus, you can redeem your Shark jump tickets for a free stay at ....yes....the Holiday Inn Express. 

I still think of hockey as Canada's Sport.

I'd like to think the US has adopted it as one of theirs too, but really, the US is all about the NFL, sadly.

Still though, kinda nice to be in the US and really love something like hockey, which was born outside my country, and be in the minority.

Makes me feel like a rebel....like a non conformer....YEA! That's it! %$# the NFL / NBA establishment!!

Errr, sorry...got carried away... :InnocentSmiley:

But yea.

When I think of hockey, I still think of Canadians.

As for competitiveness, look, it IS in Canada's best interest to have other countries get real good at their sport.

Makes for more compelling games when it comes to worldwide competitions.

Sure, any proud Canadian should be wanting their team to always be number one....but how much fun would that really be if everyone else was a cake walk?

Nahhh, it's better this way.

The US can ice a competitive team as can some countries in Europe.

Hockey may not be as popular in the States as the NFL, NBA, or even the MLB, but if it continues to gain worldwide attention, it can be like soccer (or football for you Euros)...meaning it may not be the most attractive sport to some in the US, but worldwide, it is catching on...and that can only be a good thing for Canadians and THEIR sport of hockey.

Now...I am going to be a rebel once again, HOP ON MY BAD ASS BIKE and eschew talk shows, NFL playoff shows, golf talk, and anything that isn't hockey, feed my family, then settle in for some Tampa Bay at Toronto in just a bit....

I am just b-b-b-b-b-b-bad to the bone that way.... ;)

14 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

When the US beats Canada best on best...then start this thread. When they do it again...I'll listen.

The US junior program has come along really well. The WJs really shows that. But most years Canadas best players are already in the NHL. And winning the WJs doesn't make you the best in the world...it makes you arguably the best juniors.

You are not taking this well it seems.  

I know it hurts. You get over it....soon. Cheers!

:beer:

Sounds like I hit a nerve with the Canadian audience here, I'm just asking in general if hockey is still Canada's game.  And why has no Canadian team not won a Stanley Cup in 25 years??

Answers??

1 hour ago, Fanboy said:

Sounds like I hit a nerve with the Canadian audience here, I'm just asking in general if hockey is still Canada's game.  And why has no Canadian team not won a Stanley Cup in 25 years??

Answers??

Is hockey still Canada's game?

Stanley Cup - This one comes up all the time, and after all these years, and for the life of me,  I can't figure out why. It's either obtuse or purposefully intellectually dishonest, and either way doesn't speak highly of the person asking. If a Canadian team had won the Stanley Cup every year for the last 25 seasons, but without any Canadian players, would it go any further to answering your question? Which teams wins the Stanley Cup is completely unrelated to any country's power as a hockey nation. If the Toronto Raptors win the NBA Championship for the next 10 years, it doesn't make Canada a basketball powerhouse. Dignifying this question with a response actually p|sses me off.

World Juniors - Far more reasonable question. Many countries are missing their best players at the tournament, so it's not like we get a true idea from this either. If we look at the draft, we see that lion's share of lottery and top 10 picks come from Canada, so the country is probably hit harder than any other.  Reading too much into the results of a short tournament, particularly where the best players are often present, may not yield the best results.

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I was born with skates on my feet and no teeth, North of the 53rd parallel. 

You figure it out. 

Holy crap!

*I* was born with no teeth either, blood brother!  

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Holy crap!

*I* was born with no teeth either, blood brother!  

Well that settles it doesn't it?

The real answer to the OP's question is not necessarily even found on the ice: look at the empty stands in Buffalo for the US-Russia game?!

There was almost as many Russian  supporters as American supporters. Pathetic. First, the GOP sells out to the Russians, and now this!

2 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

So when can I expect to see a Stanley Cup parade in a Canadian city?  It's only been 25 years since Montreal won in 1993

What on Earth does that have to do with how good Canadians are at playing hockey? Are you trolling or is this the level you can dig to?

I asked if hockey is still Canada's game because there has been no Stanley Cup in Canada in 25 years other then when Sydney Crosby brings it with him to Cole Harbor NS.  The American juniors have dominated Canadian juniors for the last 6 tournaments and Canada didn't even win the IHF World Cup this year, it went to Sweden.  Sure Canadians are very passionate about hockey but are they still the best in the world at it?  Because the way I see it, Americans seem to be the hockey front runners right now.  It has nothing do with trolling. 

Every time I ask an American why no Canadian team can win a Stanley Cup, they all say because Canadian teams suck and are just not good enough, and don't have the talent like the American teams ie

2004 Tampa over Calgary

2006 Carolina over Edmonton

2007 Anaheim over Ottawa

2011 Boston over Vancouver

So that is why I'm asking is Canada losing their identity as a hockey nation, because if I ask that question in Toronto they will say yes because they will say soccer is bigger with the TFC winning it all or cricket is getting big or basketball with the Raptors.  So is hockey still Canada's game?

5 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

I asked if hockey is still Canada's game because there has been no Stanley Cup in Canada in 25 years other then when Sydney Crosby brings it with him to Cole Harbor NS.  The American juniors have dominated Canadian juniors for the last 6 tournaments and Canada didn't even win the IHF World Cup this year, it went to Sweden.  Sure Canadians are very passionate about hockey but are they still the best in the world at it?  Because the way I see it, Americans seem to be the hockey front runners right now.  It has nothing do with trolling. 

Every time I ask an American why no Canadian team can win a Stanley Cup, they all say because Canadian teams suck and are just not good enough, and don't have the talent like the American teams ie

2004 Tampa over Calgary

2007 Anaheim over Ottawa

So that is why I'm asking is Canada losing their identity as a hockey nation, because if I ask that question in Toronto they will say yes because they will say soccer is bigger with the TFC winning it all or cricket is getting big or basketball with the Raptors.  So is hockey still Canada's game?

Welcome by the way.

I think the problem with your question is that it's interpreted by people like me, reasonably I suggest, as a question about identity, when what we're likely really talking about is economics

Capiche?  

48 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

48 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

2004 Tampa over Calgary

2007 Anaheim over Ottawa

The US juniors have dominated Canada over the last 6 tournaments? Sure, if your definition of "dominated' is winning what, 1 more game over 6 tournaments including several in shootouts or OT. I've never seen such domination. 

Get real.

Crosby is the best player on the Stanley Cup champion. Canadian. Letang is their best defenceman. Canadian. Murray is their #1 goalie. Canadian. Maybe your friends could watch a bit more hockey? 

As for the WC...Sweden beat Canada for gold...in a shootout. Your team was shutout and eliminated in the quarter finals... #Domination

You can make all the excuses you want about Canada losing in shootouts, but last time a I checked a loss is still a loss.  Overtime, shootout or with 3 seconds left in the 3'rd.  Still a loss.

Let me rephrase my statement "Canada is now schooled by American hockey teams" 

49 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Welcome by the way.

I think the problem with your question is that it's interpreted by people like me, reasonably I suggest, as a question about identity, when what we're likely really talking about is economics

Capiche?  

yes we an talk about economics until the cows come home, but the reality is no Canadian team has won a cup in 25 years and probably won't for another 25 years.  Yesterdays example, all Canadian teams that played last night lost.  We can go on and on how Canadian players play in the USA but bottom line is Canada has nothing to show in the hockey world today unless you think second place is ok

3 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Yesterdays example, all Canadian teams that played last night lost. 

LOL, I think stats people have a word for that.

4 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

bottom line is Canada has nothing to show in the hockey world today unless you think second place is ok

I wouldn't know, I think you probably have more experience with that, in hockey at least. 

5 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

yes we an talk about economics until the cows come home, but the reality is no Canadian team has won a cup in 25 years and probably won't for another 25 years. 

I'm not sure you know what a cow is.

You know, cutting through all the crabgrass in this thread, the original question was, "Is Hockey Still Canada's Sport"... and, again, using a machete to cut through the heart of the matter and ignoring the potentially inflammatory posts, I think, looking over at the postings, the OP got his answer.

I don't see ANYONE that posted on here, American, Canadian or otherwise, say that hockey is NO LONGER Canada's sport.

Putting aside any wins or losses in tournaments, Stanley Cups or horse shoes...because NONE of that is the question..... I'd say hockey is still Canada's sport (I did say that in my initial post didn't I?), and from what I can tell, others seem to agree to that on here.

So honestly, unless there is some compelling, reasonable, and well put together argument for why hockey is NOT Canada's sport any longer, anything else would be superfluous, unnecessary, redundant, irrelevant, and potentially troll inducing.

And yes, I love my synonyms and adjectives.  ;)

Now, it seems, at least to me, that the OP WANTS to find people to say hockey is no longer Canada's sport (I could be wrong here), because that is likely is strong opinion.

Fine.

Now...I am waiting for a concise explanation as to WHY..... having nothing to do with the aforementioned wins/losses (Canada may have lost many of those tourneys and not won a SC for 25 years, but that does NOT mean Team Canada has not iced good teams or been competitive, nor does it mean there have been no good Canadian based NHL teams the last 25 years.

That is just plain ignorant, IMO, to believe that.

I will keep my weed wacker, machete, galoshes (when and if it gets pret-ty deep in here) handy, and see if there is a reasonable answer, or if this thread derails into HFboards quality potted meat product.

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I will keep my weed wacker, machete, galoshes (when and if it gets pret-ty deep in here) handy, and see if there is a reasonable answer, or if this thread derails into HFboards quality potted meat product.

In fairness to me @Podein25 I tried to take the high road. I really did. But when it starts looking like trolling I pulled out the big guns, which was to send @flyercanuck his/her way.

23 hours ago, Fanboy said:

I think so far from the comments I will have to say that "Hockey will always be in the hearts of Canadians, they love the game and I think that is great but is Canada the leader in hockey??  They produce the most NHL talent yes, but on a world scale when looking at national pride, Can Canada say they are the leaders in the sport??  Maybe 25 years ago, but since then other countries have become better, the Swedes, the Russians, the Americans.  Canada hockey pride is there I won't deny it but if I was a new immigrant to North America I would have to say

"Those Americans win all the Stanley Cups for the last 25 years and now they are winning all the junior tournaments and even the American women are winning it all the time.  If I didn't know any better I would think this was America's game"

7 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

a) They produce the most NHL talent yes, b) but on a world scale when looking at national pride, Can Canada say they are the leaders in the sport?? 

How did you do in school? I ask, because clause a) plus clause b) do not a coherent argument make. Almost the entire thread is made up of Canadians responding to your posts with what can fairly be called hurt pride.

I really hope Sweden kicks your assss and we can shift the conversation to how Sweden is the new hockey leader in the world. 

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

How did you do in school? I ask, because clause a) plus clause b) do not a coherent argument make. Almost the entire thread is made up of Canadians responding to your posts with what can fairly be called hurt pride.

I really hope Sweden kicks your assss and we can shift the conversation to how Sweden is the new hockey leader in the world. 

I'm just asking what people think??  Canadians say hockey is their game, and Americans say Canadian teams suck that is why they haven't won a cup in Canada in 25 years so I wanted to see what people think.  Just having a discussion about what people think?

Archived