Flyers recall Tyrell Goulbourne!!!

OccamsRazor

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Simmonds is likely on a no fight order what with his brand new mouth full of teeth.

Manning just got tuned up. Laughton is gun shy. And Weise is waiting for the team to be eliminated so he can start playing. I get the feeling Gudas is leashed.

You can still play tough without dropping the gloves.

They are soft all there is to it. They are easy to play against.

20th in the NHL in hits.

They just don't finish checks like they should.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

You can still play tough without dropping the gloves.

They are soft all there is to it. They are easy to play against.

20th in the NHL in hits.

They just don't finish checks like they should.

They are playing Very Soft, to be sure.

As you've noted On Other Threads, it would be nice to have the Giroux with an edge back - but I'm not sure that guy exists any more.

Once they get rid of Simmonds, I expect the team will all man up and play tougher. :ph34r:

15 minutes ago, radoran said:

They are playing Very Soft, to be sure.

As you've noted On Other Threads, it would be nice to have the Giroux with an edge back - but I'm not sure that guy exists any more.

Once they get rid of Simmonds, I expect the team will all man up and play tougher. :ph34r:

wonder if Cote could stop smoking the herb for a bit and come back as the "enforcer" for this team.   

I really don't know anything about Tyrell Goulbourne other than what is on a stats sheet (and that he has a cool last name), but based on what I see on his stat sheet, a soon to be 24 yr old who hasn't produced a whole lot at the minor league level really shouldn't have anyone thinking he is some sort of 'rescuer' to the Flyers' season.

That said, one may then, understandably, ask, "Why bring him up?"

From where I sit, calling up a guy like that may have a few upsides:

1-- He IS still 24, or will be a bit later this month. Maybe he is a late bloomer. Not like that hasn't happened before in the NHL.

Philly's season is one where they likely do NOT make the playoffs and still have issues of all sorts up and down the lineup, despite having some nice pieces (albeit, still very young) on the roster.

Can't hurt to bring up a guy who MAYBE is hungry enough to play his arse off and perhaps produce in the NHL in ways he never did in the AHL.

Heck...even if he LUCKS into some production, the Flyers will take it at this point.

2-- As many have noted...this Flyer team is not particularly 'tough' to play against. Sure, there are a couple guys like Hagg the Hitter, Gudas the Decapitator, Weise the Slugging Slug, and Simmonds the Welterweight Boxing champion, but beyond those guys, not many Philly players play with the kind of sandpaper the team has long been noted for.

I understand The Ghoul (his new nickname to go along with 'Ghost' ;) ), has that bit of sandpaper in him. Maybe it will rub off on some other players...again, can't hurt matters at this point.

3--- He can serve as a wake up call to some vets on the team. 

"Hey, if you guys aren't gonna play with heart n soul out there, we will go so far as to call up guys who aren't as good as you, but certainly play with more passion!"

That's the message I would get if I were a vet coasting along on the Flyers' roster.....

4--- The front office needs to know what kind of role players, grinders, and general blue collar guys they have in their system.

Sure, every team wants top six or top pair D guys......and most of those are somewhat easier to define as they develop.

But equally as important are the bottom six guys, the guys who do the dirty work with little glory. The guys who truly play with heart despite lacking the higher end skills of their top six counterparts.

Sometimes those guys aren't so easy to identify until you have seen them play for you at the NHL level.

Well, The Ghoul will be given his chance, and the Flyers, not really playing for a post season spot, let alone a Cup right now, can afford to bring him up, and others like him, to see what they really have in that type of player down below.

It sure beats the heck out of continually signing guys like a Weise or Lehtera (yea, I know he was traded for in a deal having nothing to do with this...just making a point, so put down the "Yea, buts...") to fill needs as workmanlike players...when you could very well have them all along in your system. No better way to find out then to call two or three of them up  during a season where you likely are going nowhere to find out for future reference, right?

To give an example from my own TB Lightning... before the Bolts were fully loaded with the fast skaters, scorers, and workmanlike players on the bottom six and on the defense, they called up guys like Luke Witkowski, Mike Angelidis, JT Wyman, JT Brown, Mark Barberio, and Richard Panik.

Guys who many of you may be sitting there going "Who??"

Exactly.

The Bolts needed to know who they had NOT named Kucherov, Palat, Johnson, etc, whom they could count on to fill other roles and needs.

Obviously, many of those guys aren't with the team, but one (JT Brown) is.

TB did this mainly on years where it looked like the playoffs were a long shot.....they just needed to know where they stood with role players to supplement the soon to be star players.

So don't be surprised if the Flyers make more moves similar to call ups like The Ghoul.

Especially if the playoff chances become smaller and smaller.

I think most Flyers fans, whether they believe this now or not, should be glad Hextall is taking this kind of approach rather than the shoot-from-the-hip, throw it at the ceiling see if it sticks, impulsive, reckless style that his predecessor often took as a response to "improve" the team.

My take as an outsider to the fanbase anyways.

36 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Sure, there are a couple guys like Hagg the Hitter, Gudas the Decapitator, Weise the Slugging Slug, and Simmonds the Welterweight Boxing champion, but beyond those guys, not many Philly players play with the kind of sandpaper the team has long been noted for.

How in the world can you leave off Brandon "Human Speed bag" Manning?? C'mon TFG tighten up!

37 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

4--- The front office needs to know what kind of role players, grinders, and general blue collar guys they have in their system.

Exactly!

And he was the 72nd overall pick in the 3rd round.

They passed on some talent to take him.

Pavel Buchnevich, Jake Guentzel, Anthony Duclair, Oliver Bjorkstrand and Will Butcher off the top of my head.

And yeah to be about to be 24 and yet to play in the NHL......would love to know where he is at.

I hope the Flyers look like a genius for taking this guy.....we'll see. 

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

How in the world can you leave off Brandon "Human Speed bag" Manning?? C'mon TFG tighten up!

:lol:

Sorry bout that....I was just under the impression that Manning fell in the same company of Hal (Rhymes with Shrill), and was NOT to be spoken of in threads lest you get reported!

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I think most Flyers fans, whether they believe this now or not, should be glad Hextall is taking this kind of approach rather than the shoot-from-the-hip, throw it at the ceiling see if it sticks, impulsive, reckless style that his predecessor often took as a response to "improve" the team.

Great post overall, TFG. Agree with all of your points. 

If Homer were still GM, he’d have fired the coach and made at least one, if not two, significant trades involving some prospects or picks for established veterans. 

While the temporary improvement in play might be exciting, we’ve all seen how that story ends. It’s not sustainable.

Basically, there are two ways to approach the Hextall regime. You can accept it or get upset by it.

Either way, it’s not changing and we have no control over that.

so...

Embrace The Ghoul! Lol

While i am glad to see Goul get  the start this Flyer club will need some more firepower if they ever intend to get closer than 4 points.

I would love to Lindblom and Vecchione added at some point. They need it.

On 1/3/2018 at 5:55 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers recall Tyrell Goulbourne from Phantoms

About time. Let's see what this kid can bring after Manning getting beat down it is time for some FIYA on the ice.

I want to see him display a reason why the passed on some key talent!!!

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers-recall-tyrell-goulbourne-from-phantoms/

Hey maybe if they can't win some games they can beat some ass!!!

Except they didn't play him... was it just to shake things up for the existing bottom 6?  get  'em scared or something?

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Except they didn't play him... was it just to shake things up for the existing bottom 6?  get  'em scared or something?

He couldn't get a flight out. He will dress in Leier's spot from what i have been reading versus Blues.

I would rather scratch Weise than Leier but i digress. 

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He couldn't get a flight out. He will dress in Leier's spot from what i have been reading versus Blues.

I would rather scratch Weise than Leier but i digress. 

I'm with you 100%.  But Weise doesn't tend to play on the 4th and they obviously want him for some energy, hitting and PK time I assume.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

I'm with you 100%.  But Weise doesn't tend to play on the 4th and they obviously want him for some energy, hitting and PK time I assume.  

I know let Goul play 4th line LW and move Leier up, kid can play better than Weise.

Leier put up 37 goals and 42 assist his last year of junior so he has shown he can score when leaned on more.

I just think he brings more than Dale.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know let Goul play 4th line LW and move Leier up, kid can play better than Weise.

Leier put up 37 goals and 42 assist his last year of junior so he has shown he can score when leaned on more.

I just think he brings more than Dale.

Leier is in the dog house for some reason.  He's getting like 7 minutes a night at this point.  Not sure why.   #Hakstoproblems I guess.

Goulbourne only played around 6 minutes against the Blues, but he didn't look out of place and had that big hit on Pietrangelo that led to the Laughton goal. The kid did alright and if he continues playing a controlled aggressive game, he'll be a valuable teammate. I'm happy for him.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Goulbourne only played around 6 minutes against the Blues, but he didn't look out of place and had that big hit on Pietrangelo that led to the Laughton goal. The kid did alright and if he continues playing a controlled aggressive game, he'll be a valuable teammate. I'm happy for him.

He would have a spot on my team sit Weise and Lehtera.

Put Leier back in too.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

He would have a spot on my team sit Weise and Lehtera.

Put Leier back in too.

Yep, I'd be down with that.

Weise and Lehtera should never see light of day again. Banish them to the press box and leave them there for the remainder of their contracts. Maybe they'll be happy to terminate their deals and the Flyers walk away with $7 million extra dollars.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Yep, I'd be down with that.

Weise and Lehtera should never see light of day again. Banish them to the press box and leave them there for the remainder of their contracts. Maybe they'll be happy to terminate their deals and the Flyers walk away with $7 million extra dollars.

No way!

If I were Weise or Lehtera, and the Flyers are paying me millions to sit and enjoy some great NHL action from the awesome vantage point of the pressbox, I'd NEVER walk away! :bigteeth:

4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

He's had a bigger impact after his first shift than Leier and Lethtera have had all season 

51 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nice to see they have sent the kid back so he can play.

Just don't know why they won't do the same for Travis? He hasn't played in awhile.

Makes zero sense.

Sanheim will be fine. He's played 34 of 42 games, and Hextall said before the season started that he wasn't keeping young guys up to be healthy scratches most of the time. And that's been the case - Sanheim has played an overwhelming majority of games. 

Now, if Hak's plan is for Manning to be a regular and Sanheim to be the 7th, then I agree. Send him down, and bring up Alt. But it might just be giving Manning a handful of games so he can evaluate moving forward who he wants in the lineup. We'll know more after the break, I guess.

26 minutes ago, brelic said:

Sanheim will be fine.

No he's not. He has issues. He isn't ready. He needs some time in the AHL to work on his play in his own end and his play without the puck.

He has one measly goal and is -9 the worse on the team.

28 minutes ago, brelic said:

Hextall said before the season started that he wasn't keeping young guys up to be healthy scratches most of the time.

Exactly. So he has lied. No need for him to learn to serve popcorn.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No he's not. He has issues. He isn't ready. He needs some time in the AHL to work on his play in his own end and his play without the puck.

He has one measly goal and is -9 the worse on the team.

Yeah, he's had some defensive issues for sure. But again, I think maybe they're evaluating whether or not he just needed to watch a handful of games or go back for more work. Don't forget that being a healthy scratch as a rookie is not necessarily punishment. They get to watch and learn, be around the team and travel, work out and train at the pro level, etc. Development is not just black or white. 

And Hextall hasn't lied - Sanheim has played 34 games. Playing 15-16 minutes a night over 65-70 games as a rookie is worthwhile development. It doesn't have to be 82 or nothing.

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

Don't forget that being a healthy scratch as a rookie is not necessarily punishment.

Sure and neither is being sent back to the AHL.

Martel took it well. Leier and Laughton did too.

He needs more time.

Doesn't make sense to keep a forward like Lindblom down there to still work on his game and not let 21 year old Travis work on his.

If he has looked dominate last year towards the end of the year for the Phantoms and showed he was ready i could see it.

But i see a lot of the saw flaws he displayed last year....now.

Even Ghost was sent back because his overall game needed improving and it helped him have a great record set year the following year.

Archived