Game 41: Blues at Flyers, 1/6/18 @ 1

Howie58

Greetings:

Saint Louis plays well on the road and has a great record against the Metro Division.  And as this post notes, we are 1-5 over the last six Saturday games:

https://statsalt.com/games/nhl/1-6-2018/st-louis-blues-vs-philadelphia-flyers-expert-prediction-7708/

Carter Hutton is on a tear and plays well against the Flyers.  On the other hand, Elliott plays wells against his former team.  Perhaps the question is which Flyers squad shows: The engaged unit that beat the Isles or the disengaged group overrun by the Pens?  

Pretty much the same lineup from last game.

Goulbourne in for Leier on the 4th.

Will Elliott play his 16th straight vs the Blues guess we'll see hiw they feel about Neuvy.

I'm back on 1st shift today so no game for me.

Let me know how it goes.

7 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

Saint Louis plays well on the road and has a great record against the Metro Division.  And as this post notes, we are 1-5 over the last six Saturday games:

https://statsalt.com/games/nhl/1-6-2018/st-louis-blues-vs-philadelphia-flyers-expert-prediction-7708/

Carter Hutton is on a tear and plays well against the Flyers.  On the other hand, Elliott plays wells against his former team.  Perhaps the question is which Flyers squad shows: The engaged unit that beat the Isles or the disengaged group overrun by the Pens?  

OMG is Allen out?  Unreal. 

First of all I would expect Allen to start.  No way is he the backup goalie.  And he is listed as likely on the site when you Google "starting goalies" they are pretty good and up to date.  I would expect the Blues to want a bit of revenge from that 2-0 loss early in the year that you say the Flyers walked on them in?  We know who the better team is.  There is no doubt there.  The Blues are coming off a win over pesky Vegas.  No Shwartz but Teresenko, Steen, your former boy Schenn who is on fire, Pietrangelo and a lineup that is star studded.  I stand by my pick for them to take the Cup.  But I will admit Tampa is going to be a  handful and maybe Vegas and Nashville  and the LA Kings out West.  Tampa is the team in the East it would seem but I believe the Capitals are playing possum so to speak.  The Capitals do not give a rats behind about the regular season.  They want wins in the playoffs and to me are the huge sleepers if you can even call them that in the East.  If anyone can beat Tampa its going to be Washington.  I am hoping Nashville has to play either Vegas or the Kings.   Then if either knock Nashville out, I say the West is St Louis's to lose.  Minnesota is the sleeper out there I would say.  Putting my new streak on ESPN on the Blues and Rams today.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

First of all I would expect Allen to start.  No way is he the backup goalie.  And he is listed as likely on the site when you Google "starting goalies" they are pretty good and up to date.  I would expect the Blues to want a bit of revenge from that 2-0 loss early in the year that you say the Flyers walked on them in?  We know who the better team is.  There is no doubt there.  The Blues are coming off a win over pesky Vegas.  No Shwartz but Teresenko, Steen, your former boy Schenn who is on fire, Pietrangelo and a lineup that is star studded.  I stand by my pick for them to take the Cup.  But I will admit Tampa is going to be a  handful and maybe Vegas and Nashville  and the LA Kings out West.  Tampa is the team in the East it would seem but I believe the Capitals are playing possum so to speak.  The Capitals do not give a rats behind about the regular season.  They want wins in the playoffs and to me are the huge sleepers if you can even call them that in the East.  If anyone can beat Tampa its going to be Washington.  I am hoping Nashville has to play either Vegas or the Kings.   Then if either knock Nashville out, I say the West is St Louis's to lose.  Minnesota is the sleeper out there I would say.  Putting my new streak on ESPN on the Blues and Rams today.

Hutton has filled in nicely i think.

Didn't know Allen was hurt.

This Flyer club can beat the Blues.

Ask the Lighning who had their first loss in month in their barn to the Flyers.

We just don't know which Flyer squad will show up.

The one who squashed the Bolts?

Or the one who caved vs the Panthers?

Guess we'll see soon.

It doesn't help the fact the Flyers have the 2nd worse home PK in the NHL for sure.

Maybe Goulbourne can help them there.

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hutton has filled in nicely i think.

Didn't know Allen was hurt.

This Flyer club can beat the Blues.

Ask the Lighning who had their first loss in month in their barn to the Flyers.

We just don't know which Flyer squad will show up.

The one who squashed the Bolts?

Or the one who caved vs the Panthers?

Guess we'll see soon.

It doesn't help the fact the Flyers have the 2nd worse home PK in the NHL for sure.

Maybe Goulbourne can help them there.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/starting-goalies/

Nothing confirmed for Blues yet.   But Allen is not hurt and I would expect him to start today

Flyers really doing a number on the Blues this afternoon.

Certainly spoiling Brayden Schenn's return.

3-0 about halfway through the game as I type this.

Philly just looks faster and much more prepared to play than St. Louis does.

Limiting quality shots against Elliot, a quick transition game, and taking advantage of scoring opportunities....The Fly is doing it all to this point.

To quote another thread, "Truly a Jekyl and Hyde team"..... well, they are Jekyl today!  (Errr, that's the GOOD one right?  :bigteeth: )

That all said, still 1 and a half periods to go, so lots of hockey to be played.

But you Flyers fans should be real please with the effort put forth thus far.

Laughton, Giroux, and Weal with goals....

Provorov and Voracek with assists....

Not bad.

Those are the kinds of names you wanna see on the scoresheet.

EDIT:

Add Sean Couturier to the scoring parade as I finished my post...  4-0 Philly.

6 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I would expect the Blues to want a bit of revenge from that 2-0 loss early in the year that you say the Flyers walked on them in?  We know who the better team is.  There is no doubt there.  Putting my new streak on ESPN on the Blues.

Good ol curse of HJ! :VeryCool:

Two down, one to go.  Let's see if they put the dagger in the heart.  Nice to see Weal get back his wheels.  We expect good things from the first line. Now it's time for depth scoring.

I don’t watch the Blues, like, ever, so this is my observation based on the two games we’ve played against them.

They will never win the Cup playing as soft as they do. All the firepower in the world doesn’t matter when you have no fire. I’m not surprised they are regular season heroes but come up small when it counts.

Go Flyers! 

You know, again, not a bad game by the Flyers....but they DO realize a game is 60 minutes long....right?

4-2 Flyers...Blues not going away.

Philly needs to go back to what got them the 4-0 lead before.... playing fast, smart, transition hockey.

They caught St. Louis off guard with that, but if they get into a track meet with the Blues, or if the Flyers buy into some of the extra after whistle nonsense the Blues may try, the lead will disappear quickly!

Solid team win, looked a lot like the win over the Isles. Strong start, dominant 2nd, and managed to weather the pushback in the 3rd.

Lots of positives, especially the resurgence of Weal and Konecny.

G, Coots, and Voracek are having amazing seasons. Couturier is on pace for 42 goals. G on pace for 102 points. Crazy good first half.

With Patrick, I wonder if he was used to being considered “fast” in junior, and the fact that he’s slow in the NHL might have him trying to adapt and find the kind of game that will work for him here. This was a weak effort for him after a few solid games before today. 

Only 5:36 for Goulbourne, but he was noticeable in a good way. I hope he gets another game. 

I wasn’t impressed by Schenn. I imagine this was one of his weaker games this year, but he looks like the same player that left, just surrounded by more talent. Mostly invisible.

Archived