With the Bills finished for this year, expect Housley to get axe

Buffalo Rick

I am going to boldly predict that Phil Housley will not last the week in Buffalo.  He shouldn't.  This is the worst job I can remember in this teams history.  And this is not the least talented team we have had by any stretch of the imagination.  I mean, they have Eichel, O'Reilly, Ristolainen, Rainhart, Okposo, Larson, Kane, Begosian, Girgensons, Pommenville, Puoliot, and Scandella just to name some that are all good players.  No coach can survive this nonsense.  I believe he has lost the team and the locker room.  

• hf101 changed the title to With the Bills finished for this year, expect Housley to get axe
37 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

It could certainly happen, but don't teams usually prefer to do make these moves when it's less likely to draw negative attention in the home market?

Cmon JR...you are NOT paying attention here!!

The Bills are finished!

And that TOTALLY has everything to do with how the Sabres are doing and how they are being run at ice level!

Bills only scored a field goal en route to their big loss and elimination.

Someone's gotta take the fall.

So, naturally, Phil Housely needs to be fired!

You can't have a head coach in hockey keep his job when the football team can't even score a touchdown....much less win the game.

You just can't have that!

Housely is a goner....  :ph34r:

16 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I am going to boldly predict that Phil Housley will not last the week in Buffalo.  He shouldn't.  This is the worst job I can remember in this teams history.  And this is not the least talented team we have had by any stretch of the imagination.  I mean, they have Eichel, O'Reilly, Ristolainen, Rainhart, Okposo, Larson, Kane, Begosian, Girgensons, Pommenville, Puoliot, and Scandella just to name some that are all good players.  No coach can survive this nonsense.  I believe he has lost the team and the locker room.  

Might as well tank the season by keeping him and stay in the Dahlin sweps.

Fire him after the season.

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Might as well tank the season by keeping him and stay in the Dahlin sweps.

Fire him after the season.

He wont last that long.  Pegula wont stand for it.  Eichel will fire his arse if Pegula doesn't.  LOL

8 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

He wont last that long.  Pegula wont stand for it.  Eichel will fire his arse if Pegula doesn't.  LOL

This is his SEVENTH season owning the Sabres and they're sitting 2nd last in the entire league. Again. Thats Edmonton Oilers slow rebuild.

Stand for it? It's looking like this is him. Eventually you'll just pile up enough high pick talent that you'll HAVE to be mediocre..but Pegula clearly doesn't have a clue when it comes to building a hockey team.

29 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

This is his SEVENTH season owning the Sabres and they're sitting 2nd last in the entire league. Again. Thats Edmonton Oilers slow rebuild.

Stand for it? It's looking like this is him. Eventually you'll just pile up enough high pick talent that you'll HAVE to be mediocre..but Pegula clearly doesn't have a clue when it comes to building a hockey team.

Pegula started treating the Sabres like a red headed step child once he bought the Bills. He realized that between the two leagues the NFL is the cash cow and focused all his time trying to get the Bills respectable. He also knows the Buffalo fans are loyal and waited 18 years for the Bills to make the playoffs so he knows they will wait however long it takes before the Sabres do the same. 

On 1/10/2018 at 3:59 AM, Samifan said:

Pegula started treating the Sabres like a red headed step child once he bought the Bills. He realized that between the two leagues the NFL is the cash cow and focused all his time trying to get the Bills respectable. He also knows the Buffalo fans are loyal and waited 18 years for the Bills to make the playoffs so he knows they will wait however long it takes before the Sabres do the same. 

Shredded!!!!!!!

:bonkingheadonwall:

On 1/10/2018 at 3:22 AM, flyercanuck said:

He does not really have to.  The GM does.  And if results are like this, the coach has to be fired

On 1/9/2018 at 6:18 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

So if i may who would you want as the new head coach?

Would you give their AHL coach Chris Taylor a chance?

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So if i may who would you want as the new head coach?

Would you give their AHL coach Chris Taylor a chance?

Why not. Or our former d man Patrick who was Ruff's assistant.  The one that hit the post in the 99 final in the final game vs Dallas in third OT

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Why not. Or our former d man Patrick who was Ruff's assistant.  The one that hit the post in the 99 final in the final game vs Dallas in third OT

I'm just a firm believer to have someone in mind when canning someone.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm just a firm believer to have someone in mind when canning someone.

Yup.

• You have to have a plan.
  • They don't have room or time for another rookie coach. They're burning Eichel's contract.
  • It's not always a terrible idea to bring in new blood instead of yet another guy from the old days.

17 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Yup.

• They don't have room or time for another rookie coach. They're burning Eichel's contract.
  • It's not always a terrible idea to bring in new blood instead of yet another guy from the old days.

And to be honest they have a lot of talent to work with.

The one glaring thing the Sabres miss/need is a stud goalie for the future to build around.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

And to be honest they have a lot of talent to work with.

The one glaring thing the Sabres miss/need is a stud goalie for the future to build around.

Line depth would also help these guys...

Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart and Okposo on good days... Evander Kane (if he is still a Sabre after the deadline)...then....????

See what I mean?

Same with defense.

You have Risto and Scandella.

Bogosian, if he is ever healthy....then....????

Winners are built around star players...but REAL contenders have the support to back those stars, plus even if they are missing a star player or two, have the depth to continue to compete.

Buffalo doesn't resemble any of that right now, Housely or no.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

Yup.

Yeah only 8 years left.  Are you kidding me. Ruff.

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Yeah only 8 years left.  Are you kidding me. Ruff.

There really is no point too simple that it can't be condensed just a little bit more, eh?

After this season is done, they will have burned through his ELC, so they've already missed the Crosby/Toews. This is what I'm talking about. From here on out, they will have to build that winner with a $10M Jack Eichel. It's a problem that lots of teams would love to have, but it does make things more difficult.

Time flies fast when a team makes the same mistakes over and over again. I would know; I've watched my team's eternal rebuild chew up high level players and spit them out, often going for less than 100 cents on the dollar, and all because of an insistence at putting rookies up and down the franchise ladder in key positions, and bringing in guys from the team's better days, and all under the watch of an owner with more money than apparent sense.

It happens.

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

There really is no point too simple that it can't be condensed just a little bit more, eh?

After this season is done, they will have burned through his ELC, so they've already missed the Crosby/Toews. This is what I'm talking about. From here on out, they will have to build that winner with a $10M Jack Eichel. It's a problem that lots of teams would love to have, but it does make things more difficult.

Time flies fast when a team makes the same mistakes over and over again. I would know; I've watched my team's eternal rebuild chew up high level players and spit them out, often going for less than 100 cents on the dollar, and all because of an insistence at putting rookies up and down the franchise ladder in key positions, and bringing in guys from the team's better days, and all under the watch of an owner with more money than apparent sense.

It happens.

I think the coach sucks and the roster is not as bad as the record.  True they need help but the goalie is a big piece of that help.  

Archived