Offside question

timelydew

If a defending player passes the puck back toward his own zone (from the neutral zone), but it hits an attacking player before entering (the deflection causes the puck to enter the zone) would it be offside if another attacker who is already in the zone touches it? What f it deflected off a defender?

On 1/8/2018 at 4:38 PM, timelydew said:

If a defending player passes the puck back toward his own zone (from the neutral zone), but it hits an attacking player before entering (the deflection causes the puck to enter the zone) would it be offside if another attacker who is already in the zone touches it? What f it deflected off a defender?

On 1/9/2018 at 1:05 PM, timelydew said:

@AlaskaFlyerFan, you would officially earn the title of Most Interesting Man in the World if you know this one.

It's a judgement call.  If the attacking player does anything to intentionally deflect the puck, like trying to deflect the puck with his stick or throwing a leg or skate out to deflect it, then it is offside.  If the deflection off the attacking player is not intentional, then it is not offside because the defending player propelled the puck and caused the deflection.

The same thing applies if the defending player is passing the puck out of the defending zone and the deflection happens in the neutral zone.

Stay thirsty my friends...

:beer:

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2018 at 8:52 PM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

It's a judgement call.  If the attacking player does anything to intentionally deflect the puck, like trying to deflect the puck with his stick or throwing a leg or skate out to deflect it, then it is offside.  If the deflection off the attacking player is not intentional, then it is not offside because the defending player propelled the puck and caused the deflection.

The same thing applies if the defending player is passing the puck out of the defending zone and the deflection happens in the neutral zone.

Stay thirsty my friends...

:beer:

I don't visit here much, sorry. I got an entirely different answer when I posted this to Reddit a while back.

What do you think? No offense at all, but I think I side with the crowd over here. You can still be the Most Interesting Man if you want to be!

Archived