The case for Couturier and the Selke

brelic

On 5/11/2018 at 6:12 PM, AJgoal said:

So I was looking at numbers with regards to Voracek, and I found this of note: 

Of the top 51 point scorers in the league (51 because there is a tie there), Couturier ranked third in primary points percentage (goals+primary assists), at 84.21%. He had only 14 secondary assists all season. For a guy over 70 points, that's pretty remarkable. For comparison, Giroux came in at 65.6%. Bergeron 80.1, but he also didn't crack the top 50.

This seems to suggest that secondary assists aren't important.  I for one think there should be some additional stat for tertiary assists because it's often that one that makes the zone entry and is the most key.  Not to give it a point, but to acknowledge it somehow and keep track of it.  

Kinda like the way the NBA has an award for the best 6th man.  I think it's an important thing that is easily dismissed and makes it easier to dismiss players to actually begin things. 

On 1/15/2018 at 10:43 AM, RJ8812 said:

Unless he is the clear cut winner, it's unlikely for a first year nominee to win the Selke. 

I'd be surprised if he isn't a finalist though,  and even more surprised if he wins it 

It's going to be Kopitar this year and if I wasn't such a big fan of Coots, I'd be okay with that.

Bergeron shouldn't even be in the conversation, but his reputation precedes him... just like the rest of the field in this particular award.

On 5/11/2018 at 11:54 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Trade him now his value will be no higher....

:w00t:

Which also suggests how desperately this team still needs him.

Which I know is a disappointment to most here.  I have no personal attachments to the player.  I'm a bigger fan of a lot of guys on this team including Coots, G, Simmer, yadda yadda...  but if I'm realistic, we need Jake pretty badly at this point.

Go ahead Ronny... make some moves and change it :)

22 minutes ago, King Knut said:

This seems to suggest that secondary assists aren't important.  I for one think there should be some additional stat for tertiary assists because it's often that one that makes the zone entry and is the most key.  Not to give it a point, but to acknowledge it somehow and keep track of it.  

Kinda like the way the NBA has an award for the best 6th man.  I think it's an important thing that is easily dismissed and makes it easier to dismiss players to actually begin things. 

By the same token, there are many cases where the primary assist is incidental to the goal, and not necessarily because of a great play. So I agree with you that arbitrarily giving more weight to primary assists is too broad. There is a lot of context and case-by-case analysis to be made if you really want to determine how valuable a particular assist was.

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

This seems to suggest that secondary assists aren't important. 

Sorry if that's how it sounds, it's not really intended, though primary assists are less likely to be accidental. Primary point numbers are generally more predictable over future years, though.

Archived