Game 43: Flyers at Devils, 1/13/18 @ 7

Howie58

Greetings:

We say good bye to the bye with a tough opponent that might be the biggest surprise other than VGK.  NJ is installed as the favorite, and the Devils are much better over the last 10 games:

http://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-new-jersey-odds-january-13-2018-868109

I guess the question is whether we have momentum from the last three games to carry on to the second half? This will be a very good test as we begin to play intensively within the division. Flyer killers Elias and Henrique are off the radar...but there is always someone lurking. Nico vs. Nolan is another angle. 

LGF

I feel like Neuvy will have to channel his inner Brian Boucher to win this game.

Image result for Brian boucher save gif

Should be a good one.

Won't be able to see it i will be long drunk after the Eagles game and then out to celebrate with friends at Brazilian steakhouse!

Go Flyers!!!!!!!

PROJECTED LINEUPS 

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny 
12 Michael Raffl - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 93 Jakub Voracek
40 Jordan Weal - 19 Nolan Patrick - 17 Wayne Simmonds
56 Tyrell Goulbourne - 21 Scott Laughton - 15 Jori Lehterä

9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
47 Andrew MacDonald - 8 Robert Hägg
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

30 Michal Neuvirth
[37 Brian Elliott]

Scratches: 6 Travis Sanheim (healthy), 20 Taylor Leier (healthy), 22 Dale Weise (healthy), Shayne Gostisbehere (illness, probable to start).

DEVILS

9 Taylor Hall - 13 Nico Hischier - 63 Jesper Bratt
90 Marcus Johansson - 19 Travis Zajac - 21 Kyle Palmieri 
44 Miles Wood - 37 Pavel Zacha - 18 Drew Stafford
40 Blake Coleman - 11 Brian Boyle - 39 Brian Gibbons

6 Andy Greene - 16 Steve Santini 
2 John Moore - 45 Sami Vantanen
8 Will Butcher - 12 Ben Lovejoy

35 Cory Schneider
[1 Keith Kincaid]

Scratches:10 Jimmy Hayes (healthy), 23 Stefan Noesen (healthy), 28 Damon Severson (healthy), 25 Mirco Mueller (IR, broken clavicle).

I hope they are ready to go after getting some rest.

Go Eagles!!!!!!!!

Hopefully Neuvirth doesn't collapse.  We need someone who can protect the net.  Seriously, a strange moment for Flyers fans...and Neuvy, but one that almost summarizes his career.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=neuvirth+collapse+on+ice#id=4&vid=f6f2c2181f2a62d49dd84104fb04cb81&action=view

46 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Hopefully Neuvirth doesn't collapse. 

For as rusty as he was suppose to be he looks damn good last game...but we know how flat the Flyers come out after a rest see the Panthers game before they played Tampa.

6 hours ago, brelic said:

I hope this gives NP a little extra motivation for the game!

4-1 Flyers. Couturier, Patrick, Provorov, and Laughton. 

Me too, but this is the flyers. They will lose

5-1. hischier will have his first hat trick and the only goal the flyers will score will be in the last 5 min of the game and be scored by Manning. 😔

22 minutes ago, vonginous said:

Me too, but this is the flyers. They will lose

5-1. hischier will have his first hat trick and the only goal the flyers will score will be in the last 5 min of the game and be scored by Manning. 😔

It is easy to have little faith in the team given their inconsistency.  We don't know if the Saint Louis killers show, or the team that struggles with Panthers and Sabres shows?  Neuvy could look like Georges Vezina, or the Zepper, or whomever.  And to top it off, you wonder if the Iceman, d/b/a Hakstol, can adjust the team during the game?  

Well, despite some defensive lapses and dumb penalties, a good win.  Nolan Patrick needs to get with it.  But Konecny and Hagg look like they belong.  Coots and G are their usual selves but I like Raffl chipping in.  

@Howie58

Patrick had a rough game. Glad the benching woke him up a bit. He played under 9 minutes. 

The usual suspects had strong games. Coots, G, Voracek, Provorov despite a few miscues. Elliott kept them in it for sure. TK looked really good, making things happen. Laughton was very active too.

Great to win against the Devils!

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Strange hat Neuvy is getting the start???

Showcasing him?

Hakstol, “Elliott just had a week off. I have him penciled to start every game until March 5th”

7 hours ago, Samifan said:

Hakstol, “Elliott just had a week off. I have him penciled to start every game until March 5th”

Yeah that press box time is working wonders on Sanheim's defensive game...

giphy.gif

...Norris trophy look out!!!

Speaking of Norris man what a play by Ivan...

giphy.gif

Nice win....i think that makes 4 in a row. 1 point outside a playoff spot with 2 games in hand.

23 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I feel like Neuvy will have to channel his inner Brian Boucher to win this game.

Image result for Brian boucher save gif

Should be a good one.

Won't be able to see it i will be long drunk after the Eagles game and then out to celebrate with friends at Brazilian steakhouse!

Go Flyers!!!!!!!

PROJECTED LINEUPS 

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny 
12 Michael Raffl - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 93 Jakub Voracek
40 Jordan Weal - 19 Nolan Patrick - 17 Wayne Simmonds
56 Tyrell Goulbourne - 21 Scott Laughton - 15 Jori Lehterä

9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
47 Andrew MacDonald - 8 Robert Hägg
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

30 Michal Neuvirth
[37 Brian Elliott]

Scratches: 6 Travis Sanheim (healthy), 20 Taylor Leier (healthy), 22 Dale Weise (healthy), Shayne Gostisbehere (illness, probable to start).

DEVILS

9 Taylor Hall - 13 Nico Hischier - 63 Jesper Bratt
90 Marcus Johansson - 19 Travis Zajac - 21 Kyle Palmieri 
44 Miles Wood - 37 Pavel Zacha - 18 Drew Stafford
40 Blake Coleman - 11 Brian Boyle - 39 Brian Gibbons

6 Andy Greene - 16 Steve Santini 
2 John Moore - 45 Sami Vantanen
8 Will Butcher - 12 Ben Lovejoy

35 Cory Schneider
[1 Keith Kincaid]

Scratches:10 Jimmy Hayes (healthy), 23 Stefan Noesen (healthy), 28 Damon Severson (healthy), 25 Mirco Mueller (IR, broken clavicle).

I hope they are ready to go after getting some rest.

Go Eagles!!!!!!!!

Problem Solved:  Elliott starts. 

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah that press box time is working wonders on Sanheim's defensive game...

giphy.gif

...Norris trophy look out!!!

Speaking of Norris man what a play by Ivan...

giphy.gif

Nice win....i think that makes 4 in a row. 1 point outside a playoff spot with 2 games in hand.

I am so sick of this untaltended uncompetitive team!    ;)

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I am so sick of this untaltended uncompetitive team!    ;)

Yeah that is talent right there Sanheim displayed looking like a pylon Devil forward just shrugs off the weak stick check and right around him.

Would love to see him learn and get away from that crap this ain't the 1st time it's happened to him.

Guess after the 100th time it happens he figure it out. This ain't juniors.

Is Patrick eligible to go to the AHL? If so he should be sent down to get first live minutes with the Phantoms AND LEARN HOW TO CONTROL HIS STICK! Dude takes careless high sticking penalties as easy as Coots scores!

15 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Is Patrick eligible to go to the AHL? If so he should be sent down to get first live minutes with the Phantoms AND LEARN HOW TO CONTROL HIS STICK! Dude takes careless high sticking penalties as easy as Coots scores!

He's 19...he should be playing for Brandon. Can't go to A til next season.

25 minutes ago, Samifan said:

No that’s the problem. He should be there. He wasn’t physically prepared for the NHL.  

He should sit for a game or two after tonight’s discipline problems with the stick.  

Give Vecchione a game or two.  If he proves ready, he should play out the season. This team could very well be ready to play for real for a little while. 

@flyercanuck @King Knut

The strange thing is after his benching, he actually started to care and assert himself.

I dunno, that makes it seem like a motivation problem. Like he’s just used to coasting through life on talent.

That’s probably a tough adjustment for someone like that. 

I’m sure he will adjust fine over the next few seasons, and that’s why I think his issue right now is more about what’s between his ears than anything physical.

I don't think this was a great game but it was a good game and a win at the Rock.  The youngsters are beginning to show some mettle. Still, I would like to see more secondary scoring.

As for goal--Neuvy must be on the poop list. I have to wonder if he will be waived or traded at the deadline...not that I know who would want him.  Elliott's ability to read the team and stop play must rate highly in Hakstol's book.

Meanwhile, this division is super-competitive. I don't see playoff ranking established until the last week...maybe the last day. 

The trade deadline is February 26th.  I could see a contender wanting someone like Michael Raffl or Valteri Filpulla. If Hakstol wants room for his youngsters, those are candidates.  Dare I mention Radko Gudas (through '20) for a team wanting a hitter?  The Wayne Meister is a possibility too.  

My view here has always been that "making the playoffs" in this league isn't such an achievement. If we are a marginal playoff team later this month or next, the GM may go all in on rebuild assuming he may not have much other than one terrific top line and 2-4 really good defenders. 

Bottom line--I am happy to win against NJ but the next month may be really significant in our development.  

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

The trade deadline is February 26th.  I could see a contender wanting someone like Michael Raffl or Valteri Filpulla. If Hakstol wants room for his youngsters, those are candidates.  Dare I mention Radko Gudas (through '20) for a team wanting a hitter?  The Wayne Meister is a possibility too. 

Good points. Some part of this likely comes down to how Hexy feels about the current crop of prospects. If he's not so certain they're ready for the big time, he may opt to sign Raffl and Fil to small extensions of some sort. My thinking right now is that Raffl will be retained. I have a feeling Fil is on the move though. We may get a third out of him.

As you say, Gudas is another possibility. I'm not confident there is a ready replacement for him yet though. Morin would have been the most likely candidate, but his injuries this year may weigh on Hex's decision there. He may want to have Morin start next year in the AHL again. If so, my thinking is he'll keep Gudas for at least another season.

That said, I'm sure he'd listen if a good offer came along. I just don't think he'll actively shop him around until or unless he feels Morin is ready to move up.

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Good points. Some part of this likely comes down to how Hexy feels about the current crop of prospects. If he's not so certain they're ready for the big time, he may opt to sign Raffl and Fil to small extensions of some sort. My thinking right now is that Raffl will be retained. I have a feeling Fil is on the move though. We may get a third out of him.

As you say, Gudas is another possibility. I'm not confident there is a ready replacement for him yet though. Morin would have been the most likely candidate, but his injuries this year may weigh on Hex's decision there. He may want to have Morin start next year in the AHL again. If so, my thinking is he'll keep Gudas for at least another season.

That said, I'm sure he'd listen if a good offer came along. I just don't think he'll actively shop him around until or unless he feels Morin is ready to move up.

Greetings:

I don't see us as major movers. There is a good stockpile. 

Playoffs aside, I think the franchise is at some kind of tipping point.  We may have a first line at its peak.  But I am not sure about the rest of the forward corps.  Gudas is affordable but does he hold someone back with greater offensive potential and less suspension risk?  

Meanwhile, we meet a Rangers club that was humiliated by the Rangers. They will be angry. 

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Gudas is affordable but does he hold someone back with greater offensive potential and less suspension risk?  

I don’t think Gudas is kept around for his offensive prowess. He’s not awful on offense, but he’s never really been that kind of player. To me, he’s always seemed the kind of guy who does a solid job defensively and can chip in on offense if called upon to do so.

With Provo and Ghost around, he is rarely called upon in this capacity, which is good. He’s a good mid-dman imo, and that’s the role he’s currently playing. He does have a penchant for penalties and suspensions, which is unfortunate. At the same time, I’m sure I’m not the only one who enjoys watching the bone crushing hits. 

More to the point though, I do believe it’s possible Hex might move Gudas if the right deal comes around. I don’t think he’ll shop him around too much. We do have some solid prospects, but I’m not sure Hex would consider any of them ready for the NHL just yet.

As I mentioned previously, Morin is the most likely candidate, but he’s spent much of the season nursing injuries. That may give Hex some pause and prompt him to keep Gudas around for at least another season. 

I think Sanheim will be seen as a guy who wasn’t ready but was brought up anyway. That’s not a great way to go imo. I don’t think Hex will make the same mistake twice. 

TL;DR: I’m sure Hex is willing to listen to offers on Gudas, but I don’t think he’ll actively shop him around. 

Elmatus:

I hope Morin pans out.  That is a topic for another day.  

Meanwhile, Gudas is fairly young, 26 or 27, which is a plus.   He could be part of long-term picture.  My fear with our top line is decline with age with youngins taking a while to ripen.

Archived