Where Does E. Kane End Up?

Kane.jpg

Trade deadline coming up.... Kane will be a UFA at season's end, Buffalo, as usual, is going nowhere this season and would like to recoup some assets for the big, talented, but sometimes troubled winger.

Evander's 2017-18 cap hit?

$5.25M.

Sabres have the cap room if they want to re-sign him....but do they really?

And even if they did, apparently Kane being on the team still isn't enough to cover the many holes Buffalo has.

The answer HAS to be continue the rebuild.

And a 26 yr old winger, probably asking for a raise on his current salary likely isn't in the cards for a continued rebuild.

But who takes a chance on Evander?

He has a checkered history, not only with performance, but with attitude, actions off the ice, and injuries.

Most of that seems to be by the wayside since he has been in Buffalo.....yet still the team continues to flounder and he doesn't really look like any sort of solution for them.

Kane's name has been linked to a few teams looking or a scoring power forward.... including top teams like the Tampa Bay Lightning and St. Louis Blues.

Word is, the Sabres want quite a bit in prospects and/or picks.....but that they would also be willing to retain some of Kane's salary.

Kane's salary, while sizeable, probably isn't the sticking point however......it is more likely the amount of picks and prospects Buffalo is asking for that is the tricky part.

Is there a team out there desperate to win bad enough to give up those picks? Is that wise?

He would be a rental after all...unless the trading team likes him enough to sign him long term....which that in itself could be quite a process.

So who ends up with him?

He seems somewhat intriguing for the Lightning....but he doesn't quite fit in with the type of group the Bolts have built...and with TB, and the RFA's coming up and the salary already on the books, he'd definitely be a rental as I can't see Yzerman signing him long term to a big contract.

St. Louis?

Not a ton of cap space. His style of play seems to fit them better than Tampa Bay and they still don't have Jayden Schwartz, but would St. Louis give up a lot to get him, again, probably as a rental, only to have him walk after the season?

Who else might Kane fit in with?

Or is Buffalo going to have to basically "give him away" (settling for lesser prospects or picks) in order not to end up empty handed after 2017-18?

The writing is on the wall in Buffalo, Kane love him or hate him is a candid guy and he says he has been more than willing to talk with the Sabres but they have not approached him about a new deal. Sounds like he is gone like a cool breeze.

If the Sabres deal him for need it would be for a defenseman preferably one who doesn't trip over his own skates when he has the puck on his stick. For half a season last year Ristolainen looked to be that guy but he has been god awful for a full calendar year. The entire defense is to blame for their inept season, it is the only defense in Hockey that rivals my Red Wings for awfulness. It only took them 44 games to finally get a power play goal from any blueliner. Seriously. So Kane for a defensive prospect would be ideal. The only problem is that teams are holding onto d-men with both hands and a rental even a talented one like Kane probably wouldn't net them much from a contender.

My personal feeling, thinking outside of the box is he may end up in Vancouver for Chris Tanev. Vancouver has long coveted Kane, he would be a great fit in their top six, he and Boeser on the wings with Horvat would be a legit top line for the future, Tanev isn't the best in the world as a puck mover but is among the games most underrated shut down defenders and would allow Risto to do his thing without fear that his partner cannot handle it in his own end if he is caught up ice. I have thought of this deal, I would not be surprised if it ends up something along these lines.

To Buffalo

Vanek, Tanev

To Vancouver

Kane, McCabe

A real hockey trade, not a dump. Mark it.

Wow, @yave1964

Kane to Vancouver, eh?

The Canucks are supposed to be rebuilding as well.

Unless they think Kane can help them fast track that rebuild, I wouldn't have thought Kane to Vancouver would be viable.

I think Botterill will try to shoot high in his search for a good Kane return, but he may ultimately have to "settle" for less as he really doesn't have much in the way of leverage against other GM's.

Like you said, Tanev is not 'top of the line', but if teams aren't going to give the prospects/picks Botterill is looking for, a deal like the one you outlined may be what he will have to settle for.

Crazy thing is, Kane may end up getting dealt to a contender as a rental, THEN end up signing in the off season with a team like the Canucks for the long term.

I mean, if you are Vancouver, why give up a guy like Tanev (who has a NMC by the way), if Kane could possibly be had in the off season?

Interesting destination for Kane (ending up in BC), although to be honest, I don't see that.

Would it surprise anyone if Kane ended up in, say, Pittsburgh, alongside Kessel, Malkin, or Crosby, and they manage to turn him around (and grab themselves a third consecutive Cup...damn them)? Yea, I know....not fair....but then, the NHL often isn't fair.

Or how about Anaheim?

Kane certainly fits in with their power forward style.

Plus the Ducks have a defenseman factory down in San Diego it seems....could possibly offer the Sabres the kind of D-man they could use.

Or how about Anaheim?

Kane certainly fits in with their power forward style.

Plus the Ducks have a defenseman factory down in San Diego it seems....could possibly offer the Sabres the kind of D-man they could use.

I think the Ducks have a goalie that the Sabres or at least a certain Sabres fan would be interested in.......:VeryCool:

51 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok then Andrew Macdonald for Evander Kane..........done!!!

Only if we flip him and he never sets foot in the locker room.

Archived