Sanheim sent to Phantoms, Alt recallled

AJgoal

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/otf-flyers-recall-alt-loan-sanheim-to-phantoms--philadelphia-flyers/c-295169102

If they're not going to play him, this is what they needed to do. It's not going to hurt or ruin the kid to play in the AHL, and at least he'll play. You just can't convince me that, even with Sanheim's rookie hiccups, Manning is a better option. Or that Sanheim needs to get more AHL work.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/otf-flyers-recall-alt-loan-sanheim-to-phantoms--philadelphia-flyers/c-295169102

If they're not going to play him, this is what they needed to do. It's not going to hurt or ruin the kid to play in the AHL, and at least he'll play. You just can't convince me that, even with Sanheim's rookie hiccups, Manning is a better option. Or that Sanheim needs to get more AHL work.

Like you said....at least he'll play. 

And lot's.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Like you said....at least he'll play. 

And lot's.

Yeah. Sitting him in the press box for however many games was frustrating because he's not going to get better that way.

Manning is the next one of Hakstol's toys that Hextall needs to get rid of.

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

It's fine... I still just don't see why they're not playing him.  If I saw Manning doing more than just bad things, I'd be less curious.  But I only see Manning screwing up or getting beat.

In the grand scheme of things, Manning bothers me far less than Lehtera... but the fact that either one of them is on the PP is utterly mind blowing. 

They're 8-2-0 over their last ten.  15-5-1 since the streak ended.  I'm not going to complain too much.  I can only hope that if they ease off the pedal and problems start to arise, they'll do the right thing and change out the flat tires.

58 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It would be nice if they could get at least a 3rd rounder for Manning.

I don't think a 3rd is so crazy. Manning is a reasonable third pairing or 7th dman in the league. The majority of 3rd round picks never make it to the NHL. It's not unreasonable to trade a 3rd for a known quantity, if that quantity is something you feel you need. Every team needs third pairing guys. Manning isn't the worst such option around really.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I don't think a 3rd is so crazy. Manning is a reasonable third pairing or 7th dman in the league. The majority of 3rd round picks never make it to the NHL. It's not unreasonable to trade a 3rd for a known quantity, if that quantity is something you feel you need. Every team needs third pairing guys. Manning isn't the worst such option around really.

Depending how how desperate or banged up the team is, I think Hextall could probably get a 2nd.  

It would help if Manning could put in a few more points with all this power play time... but  either way, it's a no brainer of a deal if a half decent offer comes.  They can make this team whether they look like they're headed to the playoffs or not which is not something they can risk with a Simmonds.

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

It would help if Manning could put in a few more points with all this power play time...

He's been stapled to the bench on the PP in favor of Konecny.

8 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

He's been stapled to the bench on the PP in favor of Konecny.

Well I really can't argue with that.  

I noticed Konecny out there yesterday... but the PP's were so screwy that I didn't see who he was in for.  

This is what the little turd bettman has done to the NHL. It is no longer a hockey league, it is a business tool for the owners. Having to play 47 and 23 and sit 6 in the press box is the awful evidence. Flyers are on a great run right now, kudos to them for their efforts. Personally, I would be targeting high picks in a deep draft.

3 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

This is what the little turd bettman has done to the NHL. It is no longer a hockey league, it is a business tool for the owners. Having to play 47 and 23 and sit 6 in the press box is the awful evidence.

???

On 23/01/2018 at 11:51 AM, flyer4ever said:

This is what the little turd bettman has done to the NHL. It is no longer a hockey league, it is a business tool for the owners. Having to play 47 and 23 and sit 6 in the press box is the awful evidence. Flyers are on a great run right now, kudos to them for their efforts. Personally, I would be targeting high picks in a deep draft.

???

On 1/23/2018 at 11:51 AM, flyer4ever said:

I really think 47 and 23 (and 15 for that matter) are on the ice because Hakstol thinks that gives the team the best chance at winning games right now.

Honestly.  

Golbourne is playing.  5-7 minutes a night, but he's playing over Weise (who makes more than Manning).

Lehtera makes the most and he started the season in the press box.  

I genuinely think he's on the ice because Hakstol thinks it's worthwhile.

Take that and do with it what you will, but I don't believe it's a corporate B.S. or salary based anything at all.  

What would they do with the high draft picks?

They already have high draft picks and prospects (enough to recharge half the roster) that they won't be able to play for years yet because there's no room.  

It's actually time to start winning now.  

1 hour ago, brelic said:

@AJgoal @RJ8812

If I had to guess, I'd say @flyer4ever is saying that the quest for profitability / money is driving personnel and roster decisions?

Meaning the quest for the playoffs?  

Are we suggesting that a team needs to be motivated by profit to want to make the playoffs?  

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Meaning the quest for the playoffs?  

Are we suggesting that a team needs to be motivated by profit to want to make the playoffs?  

I dunno... I left my decoder ring at home, so I was just spitballing lol. 

On 1/22/2018 at 10:08 AM, RJ8812 said:

Good 

Alt has looked fine in his limited action. Let's hope they move Manning by the deadline and give Alt the 7 spot next season 

So Alt would be the 7th guy? Where is Morin Meyers and Sanheim? 

2 minutes ago, Jam1986 said:

So Alt would be the 7th guy? Where is Morin Meyers and Sanheim? 

None of those guys should be 7ths anyway. They're all more talented than that. It makes no sense to bring any of them up, just to have them play 3-4 mins a night. Keep them in the minors if that's going to be their plight. At least they'll get ice time there.

Breaking down Travis Sanheim’s first game back with the Phantoms

Breaking down Travis Sanheim's first game back with the Phantoms

A good read with some good gifs..

http://sonsofpenn.com/travis-sanheim-breaking-down-all-situations-three-zones-exit-entry-passing-defensive-zone-coverage/

Can wait till a confident guy like this returns...

giphy.gif

...it will do him some good to work on his game down there.

Archived