Little Joe Hicketts recalled

yave1964

Image result for joe hicketts recalledOne of my favorite Griffins has been recalled by the Red wings, with Tevor Daley nicked up Hicketts has been recalled from the Griffins. We could have plugged in Jensen and Oullet and been done but with the season going downhill quickly it doenst hurt to see what little Hicketts can do.

Hicketts in 43 games has only 8 points, a dropoff from last season when as a rookie with the Griffs he had 34 points and was a key cog on the back end as the Griffins won the Calder Trophy. Offense isn't his game tho, he is a five foot eight one hundred and eighty pound fire hydrant out there who simply loves hitting anything and everything. He is only 21 and IMHO the offense will catch up and he will be a solid second pair defenseman for years.

I witnessed first hand a game against the Monsters in Cleveland last year where he got tangled with one of the Monsters snarling vets (I think it was nasty Brett Gallant who while unknown in the NHL has made a long career beating the crap out of people at the lower level. Anyway, Hicketts was facing one of the nastiest meanest snarling animals in the game and he swung his stick like a lumberjack drilling him. There was a full on line brawl and somehow Hicketts was neither thrown out nor suspended. I actually sat there stunned.

But that isn't his game, his game is defense, running his man off the puck, hitting and making sure they know he was there. 

This was a few months ago towards the end of the preseason, he was like a heat seeking missile. That is his game. A lot of little guys try to finesse to compensate for their size but not Hicketts. Cocky little sucker, glad he is finally getting the call.

@yave1964

Kinda reminds me size and attitude-wise of Dino Ciccarelli only a D-man. Pesky, a little on the dirty side—maybe “gritty” is better?—a battler. Competitive.

Demember a couple of years ago Babcock’s man-crush on Luke Glendening, saying he was one of the most competitive players he’d coached—in the same league as Bergeron, Toews, Pav and Z? I bet Babs would buy this kid flowers!! :hehe:

@SpikeDDS

Devils anouncers gushed about Hicketts last night, he looked very comfortable back there. 

They announced that he is the last member of the 2015 Canadian World Junior team to make the NHL (The Connor Mcdavid Junior team) which was only a couple of years ago and says something about the ridiculous talent they had on that club. 

Archived