Where are the Fire Hakstol chants now?

hf101

Where are the Fire Hakstol chants now?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still want a different coach at the end of the Season?

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

He is still "handling" Konecny and by all accounts of late, it appears whatever is going on with Travis is working.

As much junior hockey as you watch I would think you of all people would allow that player development isn't linear nor does it adhere to regimented benchmarks.  If limiting 11's minutes to this point got him where he is, hasn't the process worked ? 

11 looks to me like he is making the most of his opportunity playing with 14 and 28. Do you think having had the experience of dragging jobbers around for 10 minutes a night might help with that motivation?

As for Sanheim, I don't know that I saw a whole lot from him that would have him playing over Manning, if you're honest you'd say the same thing, potential be damned... Right now 6 is back in LHV getting minutes and getting better.  The Hextall mantra of not wanting to yo-yo guys back and forth may have played into Sanheim's prolonged scratches.  

The Flyers were not better with him playing in place of Manning or MacDonald. 

Next year I expect 6 makes the NHL if he uses this time to improve rather than pout. 

Sanheim wasn’t the reason the team wasn’t better. 

The factnis  is the team created more overall offense and chances and had a better overall playdriving ratio with Sanheim in the game. 

BUT, they are winning... so why screw with it?  

The BEST reason I have heard cane from Charlie O’Connor at The Athletic and BSH Radio and his point was that even if you decide that They’re even or Manning has an edge now (because i’ll Grant it that Manning has actually scored more goals)  Playif sanheim now would probably make him better by April (Patrick, Konecny, Provo all got better with minutes) and Manning is going to be exactly as good as he is now in a April.  IF they’re going to make a playoff push, you’re giving your team a shot at a better defenseman if you’re playing Sanheim now.  If he doesn’t improve, you can always insert manning back in and he will likely be  xactly the same as he is now.  

I think that makes a lot of sense.  

...except they’re winning, so why screw with it.  

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as much as I am not a fan of Hak now is not the time to fire him.  nor is the end of the season...   he has the team playing good hockey right now and it is either (1) they are playing over their heads right now and will come back to reality or (2) the team is finally getting some breaks and secondary players are performing.   i still see this team as a bubble team at best.  

i want to see what hak will do once he has more options in the lineup.   if he continues to go with veteran stiffs over talent next year than I am all for replacing him.  let things play out a bit... this team is nowhere near contending anytime soon so i dont see the rush in showing him the door unless the team completely quits on him.

29 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Sanheim wasn’t the reason the team wasn’t better. 

The factnis  is the team created more overall offense and chances and had a better overall playdriving ratio with Sanheim in the game. 

BUT, they are winning... so why screw with it?  

The BEST reason I have heard cane from Charlie O’Connor at The Athletic and BSH Radio and his point was that even if you decide that They’re even or Manning has an edge now (because i’ll Grant it that Manning has actually scored more goals)  Playif sanheim now would probably make him better by April (Patrick, Konecny, Provo all got better with minutes) and Manning is going to be exactly as good as he is now in a April.  IF they’re going to make a playoff push, you’re giving your team a shot at a better defenseman if you’re playing Sanheim now.  If he doesn’t improve, you can always insert manning back in and he will likely be  xactly the same as he is now.  

I think that makes a lot of sense.  

...except they’re winning, so why screw with it.  

It's a decent argument, but it also feels biased against Manning because they say what they want to fit their narrative.

Manning is an undrafted defenseman that has been developed by the Flyers. He's in his 7th year with the organization, 4th with the NHL club.

In those 4 years, he's developed and improved.

- He's improved his points per game in every season, from 0.13 three years ago to 0.27 now.

- He's increase his shots per game ratio in each of the last three seasons.

- His shooting % has increased in each of the past three seasons.

- His ice time has increased each year.

- His CF% has remained right around 50 over the past three seasons despite a consistent decrease in the number of offensive zone starts (three years ago he was at 57% OZ starts, now he's at 48%).

- His PIM per game ratio has decreased in each season.

In short, it's probably not even a Sanheim vs Manning issue in Hakstol's mind. Manning has worked hard, developed and improved in each season, and has earned the ice time he's getting. Why should he not be rewarded for that? 

What has Sanheim earned to date? He will get his shot, and he will probably be here for a long time. But in the meantime, I just don't see how it is such an egregious crime to have Manning in the lineup as the #5/6 defenseman.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

In short, it's probably not even a Sanheim vs Manning issue in Hakstol's mind. Manning has worked hard, developed and improved in each season, and has earned the ice time he's getting. Why should he not be rewarded for that? 

What has Sanheim earned to date? He will get his shot, and he will probably be here for a long time. But in the meantime, I just don't see how it is such an egregious crime to have Manning in the lineup as the #5/6 defenseman.

I can see it both ways myself.  My biggest issue with the above however is that to me, it's not about a player earning jack.  I hate it when coaches and GMs like Hextall say that.  I don't care what a player "earns". I don't care how long he's been on the team or how hard he's worked.  I can have sympathy for how much it might suck to lose his spot, but ultimately,  I care what a player contributes to the team winning or will contribute to the team winning.

They're winning right now and that's an argument for keeping Manning in the lineup.  Hell, they're barely playing Golbourne, but if he's the good luck "feather" to this team's Dumbo, then keep him in the lineup as far as I'm concerned.  

It's a guessing game ultimately.  Does Sanheim work out enough kinks to make him as responsible as Manning by April? I'd have to bet yes as they're fairly even the last time Sanheim played IMHO and Sanheim has a much higher offensive contribution level.  If Hak had been playing Sanheim on the PP2 unit, I'm not sure he would have been able to stop playing him.  

However, does playing Sanheim between now and April to help him work out those kinks put playing beyond then in jeopardy?  

How does one weigh that?  

To me right now however, the best reason to keep playing Manning is so they could trade him at the deadline for something decent... but if you do, Sanheim's probably only going to be about as good as he was when Hak took him out of the lineup  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I can see it both ways myself.  My biggest issue with the above however is that to me, it's not about a player earning jack.  I hate it when coaches and GMs like Hextall say that.  I don't care what a player "earns". I don't care how long he's been on the team or how hard he's worked.  I can have sympathy for how much it might suck to lose his spot, but ultimately,  I care what a player contributes to the team winning or will contribute to the team winning.

They're winning right now and that's an argument for keeping Manning in the lineup.  Hell, they're barely playing Golbourne, but if he's the good luck "feather" to this team's Dumbo, then keep him in the lineup as far as I'm concerned.  

Yes, I agree that 'earning' it can go too far. If Sanheim were head and shoulders better than Manning, then it wouldn't make sense to play Manning. But I really don't think that's the case - there are great things about Sanheim's game, but there are more holes right now too.

There's a reason that Hextall and other GMs talk about 'earning' a spot or play time - because it's a real thing. They're real people and these things matter. Again, within reason.

ANd, as you say, why mess with a winning formula right now? 

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It's a guessing game ultimately.  Does Sanheim work out enough kinks to make him as responsible as Manning by April? I'd have to bet yes as they're fairly even the last time Sanheim played IMHO and Sanheim has a much higher offensive contribution level.  If Hak had been playing Sanheim on the PP2 unit, I'm not sure he would have been able to stop playing him.  

However, does playing Sanheim between now and April to help him work out those kinks put playing beyond then in jeopardy?  

How does one weigh that?  

To me right now however, the best reason to keep playing Manning is so they could trade him at the deadline for something decent... but if you do, Sanheim's probably only going to be about as good as he was when Hak took him out of the lineup  

The thing about Sanheim working out the kinks by April might be true - but, you know as well as I do that hockey in March and April looks nothing like hockey in October and November. It's about more than just the kinks is his game - it's about the added pressure of playoff-style hockey where mistakes are amplified.

I'm not saying he can't or wouldn't adjust - only that it's not a black and white argument, and there's no certainty that Sanheim would work out the kinks, or even progress his game for that matter. Development is not linear. 

And you're right - they might trade him at the deadline. My guess is that would be a smarter move than to just let him walk away for nothing after the season. I don't think he's in the long-term plans anymore simply because of roster space and prospects crowding him out. 

I hear the Oilers are looking for defensemen. So is Toronto. If they can get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him, they done good.

Then you bring up Sanheim and you have Alt as a bit of a safety net if you need him. Or maybe Morin's game would be better for the Flyers at that point - if he's healthy.

Anyway, I think they *should* trade him at the deadline, but something tells me they won't.

50 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yes, I agree that 'earning' it can go too far. If Sanheim were head and shoulders better than Manning, then it wouldn't make sense to play Manning. But I really don't think that's the case - there are great things about Sanheim's game, but there are more holes right now too.

There's a reason that Hextall and other GMs talk about 'earning' a spot or play time - because it's a real thing. They're real people and these things matter. Again, within reason.

ANd, as you say, why mess with a winning formula right now? 

The thing about Sanheim working out the kinks by April might be true - but, you know as well as I do that hockey in March and April looks nothing like hockey in October and November. It's about more than just the kinks is his game - it's about the added pressure of playoff-style hockey where mistakes are amplified.

I'm not saying he can't or wouldn't adjust - only that it's not a black and white argument, and there's no certainty that Sanheim would work out the kinks, or even progress his game for that matter. Development is not linear. 

And you're right - they might trade him at the deadline. My guess is that would be a smarter move than to just let him walk away for nothing after the season. I don't think he's in the long-term plans anymore simply because of roster space and prospects crowding him out. 

I hear the Oilers are looking for defensemen. So is Toronto. If they can get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him, they done good.

Then you bring up Sanheim and you have Alt as a bit of a safety net if you need him. Or maybe Morin's game would be better for the Flyers at that point - if he's healthy.

Anyway, I think they *should* trade him at the deadline, but something tells me they won't.

I think Hextall would probably listen if someone made him an offer and he'll probably make a few calls to teams that have a banged up blue line come deadline time. He likes stockpiling picks and if you've got a need for a 5/6 D man going into the playoffs, Manning might be worth it.  If the Flyers love him so much they can resign his butt in July.  

That said, I kinda hope he's not here in October no matter what.  He's serviceable and would be good for the team as a 7th man going forward.  I'd have no problem with him in that role, but seeing as we're likely to still have MacDonald next year, I don't want any more players blocking the progress of Morin and Sanheim than necessary and I fear the temptation for Hakstol to keep dressing Manning would be too great.  Alt seems like he was literally BORN to be the 7th D man.  

You don't want anyone to get hurt or suspended, but it would be good to get Sanheim some more minutes this season if possible.  

As you say Playoff hockey and even just playoff PUSH hockey is very different than November/December hockey and I want Sanheim and Morin to get THAt experience as well.

Sadly, I don't see Morin getting any time again this year.  Who knows what's going on with his injury, but if he needs mid section surgery, I want him to have it now and start recovery rather than waiting until the off season.  As we saw with Giroux, Ghost and Patrick, even wonderfully successful surgeries require a long recovery even if you can play through it.  And as we also saw with Giroux and Ghost, putting off that injury in lieu of playing time doesn't necessarily buy you much.  At least with those guys, the team was pushing for the playoffs.  Morin's got no reason not to have the surgery now.  The Phantoms playoffs are far less important than Morin's recovery and development and if he's playing in the AHL playoffs hurt, I'm not sure they'd be much help to his development anyway.  

10 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I think Hextall would probably listen if someone made him an offer and he'll probably make a few calls to teams that have a banged up blue line come deadline time. He likes stockpiling picks and if you've got a need for a 5/6 D man going into the playoffs, Manning might be worth it.  If the Flyers love him so much they can resign his butt in July.  

That said, I kinda hope he's not here in October no matter what.  He's serviceable and would be good for the team as a 7th man going forward.  I'd have no problem with him in that role, but seeing as we're likely to still have MacDonald next year, I don't want any more players blocking the progress of Morin and Sanheim than necessary and I fear the temptation for Hakstol to keep dressing Manning would be too great.  Alt seems like he was literally BORN to be the 7th D man.  

Now that I think about it, maybe they will keep Manning as the 7th next year. He's got a lot more experience than Alt, and is trustworthy to fill in. Alt did well too, but is more of an unknown commodity. It doesn't do his game any good to sit as the 7th, whereas the effect would be less on Manning, I think.

39 minutes ago, brelic said:

Now that I think about it, maybe they will keep Manning as the 7th next year. He's got a lot more experience than Alt, and is trustworthy to fill in. Alt did well too, but is more of an unknown commodity. It doesn't do his game any good to sit as the 7th, whereas the effect would be less on Manning, I think.

That's why I want him sitting THIS year.  ha ha.

I don't want Hakstol tempted to play the dude over Morin or Sanheim next year.  

It's TIME.  

If they resign him, Hextall with HAVE to stow him in the minors until there's an injury.  It's going to be tricky enough getting Morin minutes next season... let alone if Myers and Friedman bring their games along...  

I agree, he's a good 7th D man.  They can keep him, but they have to sit him.  

As far as Alt goes, I think he's the Manning of the future.  Good 7th man.  I'm not sure his game is progressing much at this point without extensive NHL minutes anyway.  I'm fine using him as the bench guy going forward.  

THe real key is getting Morin and Sanheim their starts.  

On 25/01/2018 at 8:12 AM, mojo1917 said:

He is still "handling" Konecny and by all accounts of late, it appears whatever is going on with Travis is working.

As much junior hockey as you watch I would think you of all people would allow that player development isn't linear nor does it adhere to regimented benchmarks.  If limiting 11's minutes to this point got him where he is, hasn't the process worked ? 

11 looks to me like he is making the most of his opportunity playing with 14 and 28. Do you think having had the experience of dragging jobbers around for 10 minutes a night might help with that motivation?

As for Sanheim, I don't know that I saw a whole lot from him that would have him playing over Manning, if you're honest you'd say the same thing, potential be damned... Right now 6 is back in LHV getting minutes and getting better.  The Hextall mantra of not wanting to yo-yo guys back and forth may have played into Sanheim's prolonged scratches.  

The Flyers were not better with him playing in place of Manning or MacDonald. 

Next year I expect 6 makes the NHL if he uses this time to improve rather than pout. 

Hakstol is still an incompetent putz. His handling of Konecny was nothing short of atrocious. I look no further than last season when Konecny had a fantastic game against St.Louis and then the next game, Haktard scratched him for 'not playing the game the right way', yet the game against St.Louis, Konecny had a three point game. He was the only plus player that game as well. Yet the 'tard still scratched Travis. Then look at this year when he put Konecny on a line with Weise and Filppula. The guy was stuck on a black hole line. It was a farce. No one should be surprised at how Konecny is playing now that he has viable linemates. And the thing is, he hasn't changed his game any.

As for Sanheim, Haktard has a guy who can skate like the wind and he never took advantage of that. He intentionally held Sanheim back. Let him rush the puck and do what he does best, but nope, Haktard and the other dumbass of the coaching staff, Gord Murphy, have done everything they can to neuter his game and render him ineffective. Look at how Sanheim is doing now that Scott Gordon and Kerry Huffman got him back. They're letting him lead rushes. They're letting him skate and carry the puck. They aren't holding him back and are letting him play his game that he plays. Once again, coaching staff in Philadelphia in neuters his game, coaching staff in Lehigh Valley embrace his strengths and lets him run like the horse that he is.

I also won't forget Haktard's complete mishandling of Gostisbehere last year and how Gostisbehere has openly admitted he doesn't listen to Haktard anymore and just plays his game. One of the best players on the team is openly defiant of the coach and his tactics. It's only a matter of time before others follow suit. Let's also not forget Haktard's complete mishandling of the goaltending in Philadelphia as well. He's ridden his starting guys incredibly hard because he doesn't 'trust' the back ups. He wouldn't give Stolarz a legitimate shot. He wouldn't play Lyon while here either to give Elliott a rest.

He's a moron. I tried to like the man, but his coaching decisions and his decisions to handcuff his defensemen by something as simple as not allowing them to lead a rush is ridiculous, especially when you've got two of the best in Provorov and Gostisbehere. He continues to over rely on incompetent veterans (MacDonald, Filppula, Manning stick out prominently) and then he tries to utilise guys like Lehtera and Weise over young guys that need the ice time to get better. He was brought in to be a development coach, but it's clear he has next to no patience with young players. 

Now, I'm sure people will probably have me on full blast after my comments and I get it. I also want to say that I really tried hard to like Hak, especially after his first year. He seemed to get through to Schenn and the guys really stepped up in the second half after the Lecavalier/Luke Schenn trade to the Kings. However, I watch his handling of the young guys year after year and I see that he puts them in roles that don't fit their skillsets or plays them with guys who have no business being on the team. His preferential treatment of veterans is a joke, especially when the vets make more mistakes than the kids do. Hak has often said that everyone on the team is held accountable for their mistakes, yet guys like Filppula continually make the same mistakes over and over and over and Hak continually does nothing when he does. However, guys like Patrick, Konecny, etc...make mistakes and he nails them to the bench. It's irritating and infuriating. 

I'm worried how he and the staff are going to change the games of guys like Ratcliffe, Frost, Bunnaman, Laczynski, Aube-Kubel, Rubtsov, etc....when they get here. I have zero confidence in the coaching staff. It's not just Hak, but seeing as to how he's the guy who is in charge and oversees everything, it all falls on him. And before anyone says that he didn't hire the assistants, Hextall gave him the opportunity to bring in new assistants and he kept the same guys on staff. 

On 1/24/2018 at 10:16 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'd fire the entire coaching staff, minus Dillabaugh and Knoblauch. The handling of Sanheim has been absolutely atrocious and the over reliance on mediocre veterans are just two of a multitude of reasons. His handling of the goaltending situation has been brutal for two years. Running guys into the ground is absolutely unnecessary. I also look at his mishandling of Konecny. Nope, I hate the man and want him gone.

Agree with all of that. I would leave Knoblauch also. In general, the Flyers pp has looked more creative this season. The Sanheim thing is brutal. There were multiple games this year where multiple young dmen were healthy scratches, how does this help their development? There is a whole bigger question of whether Haksotl is good for young prospects, will he have a positive effect on them, will he put them them in positions to succeed? We shall see, but the early returns are not good. 

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Agree with all of that. I would leave Knoblauch also. In general, the Flyers pp has looked more creative this season. The Sanheim thing is brutal. There were multiple games this year where multiple young dmen were healthy scratches, how does this help their development? There is a whole bigger question of whether Haksotl is good for young prospects, will he have a positive effect on them, will he put them them in positions to succeed? We shall see, but the early returns are not good. 

I honestly believe that if the team were full of veterans, Hakstol might be the guy. He seems to have great rapport with veterans. However, Hextall is adding an incredible amount of youth to the team and that requires a coach who can be patient when they make mistakes and put them in a position to succeed. I really don't think Hakstol is that guy. Now, some will point to his NCAA background, but at the same time, there's constant churn there, so it's basically a 'who fits the system best' approach that he used. On top of it, he never won anything at the NCAA level. It was only once Hak left UND that they won the Frozen Four. 

As I mentioned, I tried to like him. But between the questionable personnel decisions, his lack of communication with players (something Hak has admitted to), his over reliance on players who have no future with the club, his constant running starting goaltenders into the ground and his handling of young/rookie players, I can't support Hak as head coach. As also mentioned, he's got three guys that can skate and carry the puck, but he won't let them lead a rush. What kind of coach doesn't take advantage of the players and the skill sets they have? Nope, it's all about system. Neuter a player's ability as long as they fit the system. Could you picture how much more effective a guy like Provorov could be if Hak let the chains off him and let him lead rushes? Or how about unleashing Gostisbehere and his world class skating ability? Or how about Sanheim going end to end on a power play? What kind of coach doesn't take advantage of that kind of skill set? I mean, I absolutely hated Ken Hitchcock when he was here, but even that rigid task master let his defensemen lead rushes. 

Anyways, I get that my view of things won't be popular with some and I'm perfectly fine with that. Personally, when the Flyers fired Berube, I was hoping for a guy like Todd MacLellan, Benoit Groulx, Mike Stothers, Todd Richards or Todd Reirden. 

Hey Hakstol finally realized that coaches can call timeout during a game, he’s called one two games in a row. Now that he has that mastered I am sure everything else will fall into place. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, brelic said:

I think Morin will no longer be waiver exempt next year, so they'll likely have to keep him as the 7th and platoon  him with someone.  Morin and A Mac is probably best, but it might end up being Morin and Sanheim or possibly even Morin and Gudas as their roles would be so similar... with the intention of being to trade Gudas at some point in the season if all is working out. 

Long story short, playing every night or not, Morin can't go up and down next year and they can't afford to stow him in the AHL for yet ANOTHER year. 

3 hours ago, Samifan said:

Hey Hakstol finally realized that coaches can call timeout during a game, he’s called one two games in a row. Now that he has that mastered I am sure everything else will fall into place. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

baby steps

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:00 PM, jammer2 said:

I don't buy Knoblach at all yet.  The PP should be much better than it is.  Maybe Hakstol is insisting that he put Lehtera on PP2 and maybe not, we'll never know.  What we do know is that the PP was better last year and at the start of this year both units were much better than they are now.  Something's off.

If Hockey teams had Head Coaches and Coordinators under them like football teams did, Hakstol would be a great Offensive/Defensive Coordinator.  He's just not a good head coach.

I really love the way he has the team playing and the way they are attacking and defending... MOST of the time.

There are some holes in his system that when they are exploited, it's BRUTAL.  The Penguins game, the Rangers game and last night were good examples though last night (Caps) saw some help from the stomach bug apparently. 

It shouldn't be so hard to compensate for those holes and fill them, but not everyone on the team is up to that task just yet.

Overall I think Hak's systems are strong... he's just not a great head coach.  He needs some support and guidance that he'll trust and listen to and Hextall doesn't exactly seem interested in nailing him down on that just yet. 

Hire Clark Donatelli ("Tommy Boy") away from WBS at the end of the year.  That guys gets more out of a pile of crap than any coach I've seen in years.  He's keeping the Baby Pens atop their AHL division with a line-up of free agents, castoffs and ECHLers because most of his early season lineup is up in Pittsburgh due to injuries.  Steal away talent from your enemy. I was happy when Hexy mostly went outside the Flyer family to build his coaching staff, but the college coach stuff never works.  Time to move on.  But give him until the end of the season.

Anybody want to change their answer from No to Yes now? This debacle against Ottawa just shows completely how out of touch the coaching staff is. Murphy can't coach defense if his life depended on it, Laperriere knows nothing about penalty killing and Hakstol is just a complete moron who continually goes to the same mediocre vets over and over again. If we see this, surely Hextall sees this and he can't possibly justify this. This is an embarrassment. 

4 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Anybody want to change their answer from No to Yes now? This debacle against Ottawa just shows completely how out of touch the coaching staff is. Murphy can't coach defense if his life depended on it, Laperriere knows nothing about penalty killing and Hakstol is just a complete moron who continually goes to the same mediocre vets over and over again. If we see this, surely Hextall sees this and he can't possibly justify this. This is an embarrassment. 

Make sure you. don't sugar-coat it. However, totally agree.

Archived