Where are the Fire Hakstol chants now?

hf101

Where are the Fire Hakstol chants now?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still want a different coach at the end of the Season?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

REPORTED!

(C'mon, that's funny)

Hackstol quote  " I think it is important to get the shootout point"

First Flyers coach with that mentality...

Just now, hf101 said:

Hackstol quote  " I think it is important to get the shootout point"

First Flyers coach with that mentality...

Well, in this particular case, that shootout point is the difference between first place and not first place.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Can we still fire Lappy after the year is over?

The PK worse than the Flyers is the Oilers.

Lappy may be a part of that Team Chemistry though, just saying.

11 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Bump.

First place in the Metro folks...

He deserves a lot of credit.  Never panicked.  Made some excellent lineup moves.  Think he has a real good feel for this team and the players individually.  Has them playing well. 

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

Lappy may be a part of that Team Chemistry though, just saying.

Yes, because they know his PK sucks they have decided to just stop taking penalties.  Actually, that's a brilliant coaching strategy when you think about it: suck bad to make them stop taking penalties.

I'm happy to say that while I was in attendance at the game with the "Fire Hakstol" chants, I did not participate.  I have never been convinced that he has been the problem.  I do think he has made his share of mistakes along the way, but I have given him the same amount of patience that I have given to Hexy and I believe we are reaping the rewards.   

1 hour ago, Adamflyers said:

I'm happy to say that while I was in attendance at the game with the "Fire Hakstol" chants, I did not participate.  I have never been convinced that he has been the problem.  I do think he has made his share of mistakes along the way, but I have given him the same amount of patience that I have given to Hexy and I believe we are reaping the rewards.   

I can vouch for you as I was sitting right next to you at the time.  Like you I did not participate as I was very frustrated at the time but not ready to throw in the towel on him yet.

In view of all that, while there was great awkwardness in the building at the time it was happening, in some ways I see it as a positive as it forced Hexy to address publically it and it angered the players too.  I cant prove it but I am willing to bet that this indecent was a motivating factor to help get this team going after they finally ended the losing streak.  

I think he's done good things with the forwards. I still think his managing of the defense and the goalies is questionable at best.

His biggest fault is over reliance on middling to poor "veterans." Hextall (and Vegas) had to take his toys away. Yet he's gravitated to new bad players on the PK and in the waning minutes of games.

I get that Lehtera, Weise, Filpulla all can't sit. Even though I think Leier brings more in tenacity and speed, I can accept that maybe he's not the guy Hakstol wants in his lineup on a nightly basis. But Lehtera and Filpulla are statistically your WORST penalty killers. STOP using them to do something they are ill equipped for. Don't use your worst players in key situations, use your best ones.

That's the thing that kills me about him. And it doesn't seem like he's going to change that.

14 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

I can vouch for you as I was sitting right next to you at the time.  Like you I did not participate as I was very frustrated at the time but not ready to throw in the towel on him yet.

Yabutt you're @Adamflyers's brother and neither of you can be trusted as witnesses. In fact, it was probably you guys who were booing Santa!!

14 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

this indecent

That's a funny (and ironic) typo. Well done.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

His biggest fault is over reliance on middling to poor "veterans."

In fairness to Hak, he's not alone in this. In fact, I think you can reliably say it about every coach in any league anywhere.

38 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I think he's done good things with the forwards. I still think his managing of the defense and the goalies is questionable at best.

His biggest fault is over reliance on middling to poor "veterans." Hextall (and Vegas) had to take his toys away. Yet he's gravitated to new bad players on the PK and in the waning minutes of games.

I get that Lehtera, Weise, Filpulla all can't sit. Even though I think Leier brings more in tenacity and speed, I can accept that maybe he's not the guy Hakstol wants in his lineup on a nightly basis. But Lehtera and Filpulla are statistically your WORST penalty killers. STOP using them to do something they are ill equipped for. Don't use your worst players in key situations, use your best ones.

That's the thing that kills me about him. And it doesn't seem like he's going to change that.

Really, though, he’s pushed all those middling veterans as far down the lineup as he can. He doesn’t have the power to demote, and they can’t all sit as you say. But he has made adjustments.

Where Lehtera, Weise, and Filppula played higher in the lineup and all three on the PP at some point, that nonsense has stopped. Filppula is still out there on the PP but at least has a modicum of skill. They are now the bottom 3 players of 12. 

As you say, Leier is the only one sitting, and other than speed, he doesn’t bring much. Definition of dime a dozen. Sure, I like it when he plays, but I’m not too bothered by his sitting either. 

As for the PK, who would you have out there instead? Genuinely curious. I agree with you, but wonder if it would just put additional wear and tear on our better guys. I think Ghost would be great to try on the PK, but those are hard minutes. Simmonds plays, Laughton, Raffl, G and Coots. Maybe Patrick at some point? Don’t know if he ever killed penalties before.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

As for the PK, who would you have out there instead? Genuinely curious. I agree with you, but wonder if it would just put additional wear and tear on our better guys. I think Ghost would be great to try on the PK, but those are hard minutes. Simmonds plays, Laughton, Raffl, G and Coots. Maybe Patrick at some point? Don’t know if he ever killed penalties before.

I need to look back at the game logs, but I feel like Laughton is basically off the PK, and Raffl will be off after Simmonds gets back. So I'd start with a top 4 forwards of Laughton, Couturier, Simmonds, and Raffl, in no particular order. Lindblom has all the marks of a good PKer. 

My point isn't so much about the fact that they are used there, it's that they are overused there when proven ineffective. They do have to play some PK minutes (I believe in at least three pairs of forwards), but limit them, and use them against second units.

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Lindblom. Seriously, he's a puck hound and is smart.

butting in here, I haven't seen enough of his skating to think he'd be good on the PK.

I have seen him make great smart plays / passes around the net in the offensive zone and have seen him win races to the puck by taking "smart" angles on the forecheck though.

I don't know that I've seen the better than average start/stop change of direction I see in the very good penalty killers.

Edit:

Leier does have that ability and is a smart player as well...dime a dozen maybe but I feel he's been under utilized on the PK.

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

butting in here, I haven't seen enough of his skating to think he'd be good on the PK.

I have seen him make great smart plays / passes around the net in the offensive zone and have seen him win races to the puck by taking "smart" angles on the forecheck though.

I don't know that I've seen the better than average start/stop change of direction I see in the very good penalty killers.

Edit:

Leier does have that ability and is a smart player as well...dime a dozen maybe but I feel he's been under utilized on the PK.

Yeah, fair enough re foot speed and the like. But Coots kills penalties and, as we all know, he can barely skate.

Just now, Podein25 said:

Yeah, fair enough re foot speed and the like. But Coots kills penalties and, as we an know, he can barely skate.

to your point, I like to see pressure on the puck, taking away the time and space of the power play, it is effective against our guys.

Couturier is effective with the the stick in the passing lane, keep the guys to the outside for the lower percentage shot, way.  I reckon it depends how the coaching staff wants to kill penalties. 

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

to your point, I like to see pressure on the puck, taking away the time and space of the power play, it is effective against our guys.

Couturier is effective with the the stick in the passing lane, keep the guys to the outside for the lower percentage shot, way.  I reckon it depends how the coaching staff wants to kill penalties. 

Yeah, understood. I think the best is one of each (one Coots like, one speedy guy) on each pair.

11 hours ago, swflyers28 said:

I don't get how our PK is so bad with a guy like Lappy in charge of it, I mean this guy did this on a number of occasions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqDvaA7onaU

I don't have an answer as to why the Flyer PK has issues, but having Lapierriere in charge of it isn't in itself a recipe for success anymore than Patrick Roy running the Colorado Avalanche could make their goaltending any better.

Lapierriere can't MAKE others execute as well as he did.

It's a matter of the guy in charge knows what needs to get done....then getting the right personnel to do it.

The ol "leading a horse to water" spiel.

47 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I don't have an answer as to why the Flyer PK has issues, but having Lapierriere in charge of it isn't in itself a recipe for success anymore than Patrick Roy running the Colorado Avalanche could make their goalending any better.

Nice. 

Archived