Are the Hawks done? (poll)

yave1964

Are the Hawks done?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Hawks make the postseason?

• yes
    • no

The Hawks are coming off a six game homestand that they entered as a playoff team and now sit in last place in their division and 12th overall in the West. After splitting the first two games with the Wild and Jets the wheels came off, losing four in a row by an absurd combined score of 16-5. No offense, no goaltending, the team is a mess. They are in last place six points deep buried in the basement and the question is, are the Hawks chances done for the year?

Corey Crawford has never been a favorite of mine I have always viewed him as a product of the team, on a great team he would put up great numbers, on a bad team bad numbers, kind of the modern Chris Osgood but this year he carried the team for the first half until concussion symptoms rocked his season. A fragile team lost their best player and it has quickly spiraled out of control. A look at a few things that have caused this proud franchise to fall so far so fast:

1) The trade of Panarin and Motte to the Jackets for Saad and Forsberg has not worked out, Panarin has been a solid top line producer and Motte after time in the AHL has turned into a fine 4th liner, Saad has an anemic 23 points through 48 games and Forsberg has been average at best.

2) The injury to Crawford, enough cannot be said about how great Crow was before the injury. Losing him was devastating.

3) Seabrook especially but Duncan Keith as well have looked human, slowed and tentative at both ends of the ice. They have lost a half a step and haven't adjusted their game and both have lots of years remaining on their contracts. Maybe they can get the Marian Hossa itchy sweater disease and the Hawks can bury their contracts.

4) Sharp, wingels, Jurco and Bouma were brought in for bottom six secondary scoring and have not produced. The team relies too much on their top line.

5) Toews, like Seabrook and Keith seems to be hitting the phase of inevitable decline, his offense has been slipping for years, he is looking like a solid 3C and nothing more. Anisimov has slipped badly this year as well even before being hurt.

6) The trade of Hjalmarsson was to dump salary, it turns out he was the perfect safety net for the defense and hasn't been replaced.

Not everything has failed, Debrincat and Schmaltz have stepped up as top six forwards, Kane is down a bit but still over a point a game, Murphy and Oesterle form a nice complimentary second pairing on defense. 

IMHO you cannot blame injuries for their decline, other than Anisimov and Crow the team has been remarkably healthy, I think this is the inevitable situation that occurs when a team puts too much of their salary cap into two players. Look at Edmonton with Draisatl and McDavid, similar situation where a team cannot afford to retain or add key role players to fill out the roster. Same with the Kings.

I think this is it, they are done. 

On 1/25/2018 at 9:07 AM, yave1964 said:

The Hawks are coming off a six game homestand that they entered as a playoff team and now sit in last place in their division and 12th overall in the West. After splitting the first two games with the Wild and Jets the wheels came off, losing four in a row by an absurd combined score of 16-5. No offense, no goaltending, the team is a mess. They are in last place six points deep buried in the basement and the question is, are the Hawks chances done for the year?

Corey Crawford has never been a favorite of mine I have always viewed him as a product of the team, on a great team he would put up great numbers, on a bad team bad numbers, kind of the modern Chris Osgood but this year he carried the team for the first half until concussion symptoms rocked his season. A fragile team lost their best player and it has quickly spiraled out of control. A look at a few things that have caused this proud franchise to fall so far so fast:

1) The trade of Panarin and Motte to the Jackets for Saad and Forsberg has not worked out, Panarin has been a solid top line producer and Motte after time in the AHL has turned into a fine 4th liner, Saad has an anemic 23 points through 48 games and Forsberg has been average at best.

2) The injury to Crawford, enough cannot be said about how great Crow was before the injury. Losing him was devastating.

3) Seabrook especially but Duncan Keith as well have looked human, slowed and tentative at both ends of the ice. They have lost a half a step and haven't adjusted their game and both have lots of years remaining on their contracts. Maybe they can get the Marian Hossa itchy sweater disease and the Hawks can bury their contracts.

4) Sharp, wingels, Jurco and Bouma were brought in for bottom six secondary scoring and have not produced. The team relies too much on their top line.

5) Toews, like Seabrook and Keith seems to be hitting the phase of inevitable decline, his offense has been slipping for years, he is looking like a solid 3C and nothing more. Anisimov has slipped badly this year as well even before being hurt.

6) The trade of Hjalmarsson was to dump salary, it turns out he was the perfect safety net for the defense and hasn't been replaced.

Not everything has failed, Debrincat and Schmaltz have stepped up as top six forwards, Kane is down a bit but still over a point a game, Murphy and Oesterle form a nice complimentary second pairing on defense. 

IMHO you cannot blame injuries for their decline, other than Anisimov and Crow the team has been remarkably healthy, I think this is the inevitable situation that occurs when a team puts too much of their salary cap into two players. Look at Edmonton with Draisatl and McDavid, similar situation where a team cannot afford to retain or add key role players to fill out the roster. Same with the Kings.

Can't judge until I see the team with a new coach. Regardless of how good a coach is, they all have a shelf life before familiarity begins to cause players to tune things they say out

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2018 at 6:07 AM, yave1964 said:

I think Seabrook will be a casualty at the trade deadline. Not sure why they brought Sharp back for a year. Need to start setting pieces for the future. Going to be a seller this year.

13 minutes ago, Hatrik98 said:

I think Seabrook will be a casualty at the trade deadline. Not sure why they brought Sharp back for a year. Need to start setting pieces for the future. Going to be a seller this year.

Hard to trade Seabrook as he has too much term/money left on his deal and his production is down. Sharp, maybe Forsberg to the Flyers to serve as a cheap stopgap in net and middle six on the cheap winger, Saad going somewhere is a possibility. Wow they got old and slow all of a sudden. This is more than just the loss of Crawford for a chunk of the year, the team just aged quickly and badly.

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

Hard to trade Seabrook as he has too much term/money left on his deal and his production is down. Sharp, maybe Forsberg to the Flyers to serve as a cheap stopgap in net and middle six on the cheap winger, Saad going somewhere is a possibility. Wow they got old and slow all of a sudden. This is more than just the loss of Crawford for a chunk of the year, the team just aged quickly and badly.

8 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I think it could be done. Hawks might have to be swindled a bit on paying some of his contract. All depends on what is offered. I definitely see Forsberg going somewhere. Philly is a good call. Maybe the Leafs.

53 minutes ago, Hatrik98 said:

I think it could be done. Hawks might have to be swindled a bit on paying some of his contract. All depends on what is offered. I definitely see Forsberg going somewhere. Philly is a good call. Maybe the Leafs.

The Leafs Curtis McBackup hardly plays but when he does he does a solid job, I think that last night was only his 4th start of the year but his numbers are outstanding for a backup. Forsberg, Philly down two goalies or the Isles now down Greiss make a lot of sense.

@OccamsRazor @ruxpin

A third round pick for Kempny????? A middling stay at home d-man with consistency issues who is a bad skater for a third? Wow the Wings better get a first for Mike Green. Not sure what Washington was thinking other than being sick of seeing Taylor Chorney getting torched every night.

I am pretty sure I was adamant that as soon as Toews and Kane's extensions kicked in, the Hawks would be hurting bigtime, particularly as Keith and Seabrook aged.

Extensions kick in

2 first round exits and now probably not making the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I am pretty sure I was adamant that as soon as Toews and Kane's extensions kicked in, the Hawks would be hurting bigtime, particularly as Keith and Seabrook aged.

Every second person  said NO NO, as long as Toews and Kane and Keith are there, they will be contenders, you will see.

This is about a year behind when I thought it would happen. 

2 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I amended my post with Quotes :)

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS: How to ice a team with two players making ten million a year eating up 30 percent of the cap?

Number one question mark from the same post. :)

Archived