Has Casey DeSmith taken over #2 spot in goal?

nossagog

With the return of Murray to the lineup, the Pens chose to send Tristan Jarry back down to WBS instead of Casey DeSmith.  Part of this was Jarry's play as he was a roller coaster. But an even bigger part was the play of DeSmith.  In his 5 appearences(only four starts) he has a .935%SP and a 1.86 GAA. Pretty good for a guy whom has, well, 5 appearences in the NHL.  

Some could say, probably correctly, that the team played tighter to shield him.  But watching him play, he does not look like a raw rookie at all.  He is one of those goalies who seems to see the play ahead, and get into the proper position to make saves.  I think he has a bright future ahead of him.  Pens are very lucky have the goalies on their squads that they do. 

Very humble also. When he got his first win, instead of gushing on how great it was for his first win after the game, the first thing he's bringing up is how the whole team feels about the passing of Murray's father, and how he hated getting the opportunity due to that. 

I think that Jarry and DeSmith will rotate between the NHL and AHL all year so that both get a couple of starts in a row in the AHL to keep rust from setting in. Three very nice young goalies, nice problem to have.

17 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I think that Jarry and DeSmith will rotate between the NHL and AHL all year so that both get a couple of starts in a row in the AHL to keep rust from setting in. Three very nice young goalies, nice problem to have.

Yeah, the two of Jarry and DeSmith were the best of the AHL last season. At some point, one of them will probably be moved. DeSmith will be 27 next year, so I think he would become a UFA. Would hate to lose him for nothing, as he could get at least SOME consideration.  Could be with his play, that they may shop him as Murray is the goalie of the future, and he deserves a shot. 

On 1/27/2018 at 2:05 PM, SlapShot66 said:

I missed the 3rd period of the last game when 3 goals were scored by The Wild and I think that DeSmith is an awesome goalie but I was wondering if he gave up the goals or were they not his fault ???

I'd say most goalies would have had issues with all of them.   First was a blocked shot that came back to Staal between the dots with no defender on him, he snapped a top shelfer.  Second was a PP goal that no one came to the front of the net with the Wild player, I think Granlund, screening him and he put the rebound around DeSmith. The third was the one he was screened  by two Pens trying to block lanes(as well as goalie view) and I don't think he saw it until too late. 

Wouldn't fault him for any of them, he made several highlight reel saves, including a couple on Parise.

16 hours ago, nossagog said:

I'd say most goalies would have had issues with all of them.   First was a blocked shot that came back to Staal between the dots with no defender on him, he snapped a top shelfer.  Second was a PP goal that no one came to the front of the net with the Wild player, I think Granlund, screening him and he put the rebound around DeSmith. The third was the one he was screened  by two Pens trying to block lanes(as well as goalie view) and I don't think he saw it until too late. 

Wouldn't fault him for any of them, he made several highlight reel saves, including a couple on Parise.

A few things stick out with DeSmith right away. His puck tracking ability and anticipation skills are elite. His lateral side to side movement also stands out. I thought enough of him to forgo picking up Ryan Miller (hoping Gibby has a minor ailment). Our league (NAHANA) is just outrageous for goalie shortages, so when somebody promising breaks through, it's big news. The thing with DeSmith, is he could be put in a real situation to excel. The Pens have the most back to back games left in the entire league, 10 of them, so DeSmith should see at least a game a week or so, and with a winning team like the Pens, that is big news for the waiver wire. 

Archived