Unfortunate preview of the rest of the season

SpikeDDS

If you were wondering what the rest of the Red Wings’ season was gonna look like, tonight’s game confirms that Detroit will be sellers at the deadline. Just awful.

Howard looked asleep. His positioning was poor, unlike most of his season. Was he not mentally ready after sitting out the last two? Did Mrazek outplaying him for 2+ games ding his ego enough to bring back Old Jimmy? Gosh, I hope not!

We need to move one of our netminders. Neither looks good tonight, although Mrazek looks better than Howard did. (Pretty low bar, though.)

Once we sell what we can, it’s not going to look better, so get ready to watch more hockey like this. Well, maybe not THIS bad, but...bad.

I can hear the auctioneer warming up his voice. 

@SpikeDDS

Remember the game before the Hawks entered their bye they played the Wings and looked tired and slow and disinterested? Coach Q is an elite goalie and although his team has been slumping I feel very confident that he had this game circled on every calendar in the locker room. The Hawks were flying last night, they brought it and meant business.

The wings as currently set up can play with most anyone, keep a game close unless the opponent plays at their highest level, and even then we can hang as long as the netminder brings it, Howard kept us in many games early when the Wings had no business being there. However when the other team brings it andour goalie is less than stellar well 5-1 games are what you are gonna get. We didn't really challenge Forsberg in net with high percentage shots last night, he has struggled badly most of the year even losing his job to a 32 year old KHL retread who after 13 years bouncing around the world finally made his NHL debut this year so Forsberg is not exactly a Vezina candidate.

@yave1964

Perhaps you’re right about Q marking this game. I thought about that. This was the last game before the ASG break for both of these teams. One team was on vacation already. Perhaps the Blackhawks learned their lesson from the game before their bye week.

And my point was, in part, that soon after Mike Green is gone and hopefully a few others, our talent level will no longer make your first sentence of your second paragraph be true. We WON’T have enough talent to play with most anyone on any given night. We will have to be playing at the top of our game, and other teams will have to be playing average to below average.

We, as fans, must be mentally prepared for what is coming. It’s not gonna be pretty in the short run. At some point, the talent level runs low enough where even if you play an average game, that the result will be “not good enough.” That point is approaching...if the Wings are smart. 

Archived