Ho Sang ripped by Weight and Thompson

yave1964

According to Josh Ho Sang, “I enjoy playing up there and I find that when I’m up there, I’ve had quite a bit of success,” Ho-Sang said. “I think I’ve had more success up there than hardship. But they want what they want.” They. Not we, THEY.Image result for josh ho sang meme 

Josh Ho Sang has been a whipping boy in the organization for several years now ever since he overslept for the start of training camp a couple of years ago and was sent out to send a message. He was recalled last year in March and showed NHL talent, and playing on a third line to start the year with the Isles he had 12 points through 22 games although coach Doug Weight constantly berated him for his play without the puck and refusing to come off the ice with linemates at the end of his shift. In late October the Isles shocked everyone by sending him to the AHL.Image result for josh ho sang meme 

Since then numerous injuries have forced the Isles to recall such non luminaries as Ross Johnston, Alan Quine, Steve Bernier and Tanner Fritz (Go buckeyes!) none of whom are to be confused with real NHLers on their best days except maybe by their mom. When Josh Bailey was hurt and the Isles needed offense instead of Ho Sang who had been a healthy scratch because of dogging it in practice by AHL head coach Brent Thompson (according to reports during sprints he was by far the slowest guy on the ice including the Zamboni) was passed over yet again. Coach Thompson said, "He is a baby and immature and has a lot of growing up to do." Doug Weight did not mince words on why Ho Sang is still at Bridgeport.

“[The fans] can be upset he’s not here,” Weight told Newsday on Saturday morning. “They see his skill, they look at analytics. I understand that. But why did Tanner Fritz get an opportunity? Why did Steve Bernier come up right away? That is how you build your whole organization, with accountability. And there has to be accountability. There has to. It’s a crying shame he’s not playing with John Tavares when Bails goes down,” Weight said. “We had six guys out. It was a perfect opportunity. And Josh should be upset with himself. Whether our view of the world is wrong is something we can argue later. But the fact is, we need to be able to look at how some guys are laying it on the line [in Bridgeport] and he’s a healthy scratch. So to go from that to the first lineup here, where is he learning from that? That’s a big, big part of this.”

Ho Sang is having none of it. "Yeah I am only young but I am burning years off my NHL career down here. It sucks. You want to be on top I was looking forward to my first NHL season."

What has to be the hardest for Ho Sang is Barzal has clearly stolen his thunder and fellow rookie Anthony Beauvillier who was a Doug Weight whipping boy early in the season has put his head down and bought into the system and has saw a marked uptick in both ice time and production. They have essentially stolen the story that Ho Sang planned on for himself.

In spite of all this the Isles swear they aren't done with Ho Sang, they hope he puts the effort in and gets back in the lineup with a middle six wing slot open to be taken. They have been unhappy with his play without the puck and some in the organization are questioning his Hockey IQ. With the Isles ISO a top four defenseman and a goalie it seems more and more likely that he is the carrot dangling at the end of the stick to make one of those things happen. The question is this, are they hurting their own chances of a fair return or are they doing the right thing? Would you want him on your team?

As a Wings fan I have listened to Jimmy Howard bandied about in trade rumors with the Isles the likeliest destination. I was listening to a podcast two days ago discussing a Ho Sang for Howard deal and my first thought was they had to have this wrong, no way no how do the Isles wanna move this guy but then I started reading the quotes by Thompson and Weight and Ho Sang less than passive resistance to being in the AHL and thought, wow, maybe I wouldn't want the guy on my team. 

@yave1964

Welcome to the age of entitlement.  Sadly it is obvious Ho-Sang has the talent but just does not want to put in the effort.  Dude is getting a wake up call and yet it is does not seem to be sinking based on his quotes.   Until he grows up, he will be in the AHL for quite some time.   Shame....what a waste of talent.  However he has only himself to blame.

I don't know anything about Ho-Sang's personality....and indeed, other than his short stints in the NHL, I haven't seen him actually play much either.

That all said, the Islanders as an organization are not exactly known to do things with players that puts them (both players and the team) in positions to succeed.

In the past, many, many questionable decisions have been made regarding personnel by the powers that be.

I am NOT saying Ho-Sang should be given any sort of pass....and I certainly understand that a guy like Doug Weight himself was a hard working guy so he should expect that from his players.....but I DO question whether the Islanders are properly equipped to deal with such an "unruly" young player.

Do they really know what to do with him and how to deal with him?

The most recent example I can think of the Islanders screwing up on player development is Nino Niederreiter.

Isles had him up and down from the AHL to the NHL then buried him in the minors...then finally traded him to the Minnesota Wild for a 3rd/4th line winger in Cal Clutterbuck.

It was said Nino had an "attitude" and was perhaps a bit too outspoken. Sounds very much like what Ho Sang is being portrayed as.

Indeed, when Minnesota first got Nino, he did appear to have a chip on his shoulder and the Wild made him toil in the bottom six for a time.

But somehow, someway, someone in the Wild organization got through to Nino in a way that no one in the Isles organization could.

And while Nino still to this day has a bit of chippiness about him, he channels it in the right direction, has become an outspoken TEAM leader type guy and has a solid place amongst the Wild's top six.

Again, not trying to excuse Ho Sang.... he probably DOES need to grow up some.

But are the Islanders the team to help him in that area?  I question that very much.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Ho Sang was dealt to a team that has a better way with 'wild childs' and THEY get through to him and he becomes a regular top six NHL player too....while the Islanders, once again, remain content to have whatever middling to lower tier NHL guy they traded him away for.

Just sayin...

I think Ho Sang needs a Messier type butt end in the face from a renowned NHL superstar to put him in his place.

Clearly he won't listen to coaches.

I know a lot of kids with entitlement issues and watched a lot of them grow out of it. But he does not seem to be

Theres nothing wrong with ho sang he gives the puck away to much trying to do to much with it,not bringing him back up and letting fritz play instead is a yell for a new coach needed fast.

8 hours ago, musky said:

Theres nothing wrong with ho sang he gives the puck away to much trying to do to much with it,not bringing him back up and letting fritz play instead is a yell for a new coach needed fast.

You mean he's selfish? Egotistical? Entitled? Self centered?

Say it ain't so.

2 hours ago, musky said:

plays the same style as barzal.If there not going to play him then trade him and get something for him.

It's not the style...it's the attitude. Ho-sang has always been all about himself. There's a reason Team Canada wouldnt touch him with a ten foot pole...and it had nothing to do with skill. 

The Windsor Spitfires, Niagara Icedogs, Team Canada, NY Islanders and Bridgeport Soundtigers don't all have a personal vendetta against poor Josh Ho-sang. He's got a lousy attitude that most hoped he'd grow out of eventually...yet here he is spewing the same old garbage.

26 minutes ago, musky said:

then trade him to another team get something for him .as i think teams would line up to get him.

As I outlined in my earlier post, this sounds suspiciously like the Nino Niedderreiter situation.

Not saying Nino was the exact same as Ho Sang, but the Isles didn't think much of Nino either and buried him in the minors....eventually setting for a 3rd/4th liner for him from Minnesota.....and the Wild haven't looked back since.

To be honest, even with Ho Sang's alleged attitude problems, if the Wild once again have a bottom six guy the Isles would be willing to take, I'd say make the deal for him, bring Ho Sang to Minnesota, have him pay some dues in Iowa with the idea of, improved work ethic will equal a call up.......... and based on the Wild's track history, they DO reward players who genuinely work hard in the minors.

Hell, they have given call ups to players with HALF the skill of Ho Sang, simply because they work hard.

Ball would be completely in Ho Sang's court at that point.

Of course, if Ho Sang REALLY is that difficult, maybe not even the patient Minnesota Wild want anything to do with him...... but I'd say for a bottom six guy, why not.

5 hours ago, musky said:

then trade him to another team get something for him .as i think teams would line up to get him.

They didn't line up in the draft for him. Unless the Isles are selling low, I doubt there'd be much interest. There's a reason a top ten talent fell to 28th...and 3 years later the self proclaimed best player in the draft is showing the hockey world they were right to be concerned.

1 hour ago, musky said:

with the way the isls are playing right now they need a spark dont be surpirsed to see him called up in the next week.

I wouldn't write him off yet. One day a light will click on in his head that it's HIM that's throwing away his career, and not some conspiracy against him. Hopefully before it's too late. He can certainly play.

I just don't see many teams giving up something of value for a guy they passed in the draft and who's still blaming everyone else for himself not growing up.

Archived