Who do you think should go come trade deadline

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

To Philadelphia: Erik Karlsson
To Ottawa: Travis Sanheim, German Rubtsov, Jordan Weal, Two first-round picks

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers-hypothetical-trade-erik-karlsson-ron-hextall-sanheim-rubtsov-picks-myers-frost-plan-accelerating-stockpile-picks-prospects/

Since everyone is talking about moving Sanheim....what about his suggestion??

To Philadelphia: Erik Karlsson, Mike Hoffman

To Ottawa: Travis Sanheim, German Rubstov, Dale Weise, Jordan Weal, Three first round picks and a 3rd.

Go big or go home.

29 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

To Philadelphia: Erik Karlsson, Mike Hoffman

To Ottawa: Travis Sanheim, German Rubstov, Dale Weise, Jordan Weal, Three first round picks and a 3rd.

Go big or go home.

I think I'll go home.   

Flyers have about $1.7M in cap space.

Karlsson + Hoffman = $11.7 Million in cap space.

Weise + Weal = about $4.1M   I'm not sure where the roughly $6M is coming from.

I'd love both.  Actually, I'd like Hoffman.   His $5.5M would probably be doable.  I'm wondering about Karlsson's foot.  It also sounds like Ottawa is demanding the trading partner take Ryan with Karlsson so they can't get away from his idiotic $7.25M cap hit over the next 4 years.  I don't know what they're going to do there (Ottawa).   Ryan isn't worth a 10th of that figure.

I stay out of the Ottawa sweepstakes.   I'm doubtful we do anything and go to war with what we have.    We actually have as much chance as anyone in the east at this point.   

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think I'll go home.   

I'd love both.  Actually, I'd like Hoffman.   His $5.5M would probably be doable.  I'm wondering about Karlsson's foot.  It also sounds like Ottawa is demanding the trading partner take Ryan with Karlsson so they can't get away from his idiotic $7.25M cap hit over the next 4 years.  I don't know what they're going to do there (Ottawa).   Ryan isn't worth a 10th of that figure.

I stay out of the Ottawa sweepstakes.   I'm doubtful we do anything and go to war with what we have.    We actually have as much chance as anyone in the east at this point.   

True. Maybe we get a deal where Ottawa can retain some salary, and in return, they get good youth.

34 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

True. Maybe we get a deal where Ottawa can retain some salary, and in return, they get good youth.

On its face, your trade idea isn't horrible.   Whether that's something Hextall would do is another story.  I think three 1st rounders would be awfully steep for Hextall.   If Karlsson would become healthy, moving Sanheim for him wouldn't be horrible.   With all of the forwards in the stable and since Frost will most likely move in front of him, I don't think moving Rubstov would be a disaster, either.   Again, though, it comes down (for me) to whether Hextall would move 3 first rounders.   I also wonder if it would actually take that given the rest of the package.   2 might do it, but I don't think any less than that.   It's a definite maybe since there's really no salary to speak of going out the other way.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

On its face, your trade idea isn't horrible.   Whether that's something Hextall would do is another story.  I think three 1st rounders would be awfully steep for Hextall.   If Karlsson would become healthy, moving Sanheim for him wouldn't be horrible.   With all of the forwards in the stable and since Frost will most likely move in front of him, I don't think moving Rubstov would be a disaster, either.   Again, though, it comes down (for me) to whether Hextall would move 3 first rounders.   I also wonder if it would actually take that given the rest of the package.   2 might do it, but I don't think any less than that.   It's a definite maybe since there's really no salary to speak of going out the other way.

I just threw this out for discussion i would stay away from trades like this myself.

Stay the course.

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I just threw this out for discussion i would stay away from trades like this myself.

Stay the course.

Yeah, that's actually my position on it.   I agree with stay the course and use the draft picks.   That seems to be working well, so stick with it.   The idea of replacing Manning in the lineup with Karlsson is extremely tantalizing, though.  As is replacing Weal/Weiss with Hoffman.

But ultimately, I think you're right.

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I think I'll go home.   

Flyers could afford it. They can absorb about $8 million in cap hits at the deadline due to banked space. With the money going the other way, it would work out. Whether I'd do it on the other hand...

I think yesterday is the first Ottawa game I've ever seen where I didn't notice Karlsson at all. The guy basically hauled that team to the ECF by himself last year. Hoffmans a left wing in his prime on a good contract for a couple more years. But 5 firsts  (when you include Sanheim and Rubtsov) is really, really expensive.

Why in God’s name would we want Karlsson.? We don’t need another offensive defenseman with no defensive skills. If anything we need a defensive stalwart who can shutdown the other team. We are not one player away from the cup, so in the long run we are a better team when Rubtsov and Sanheim join the team and it doesn’t cost us first round picks and strap us with another’s big contract.

2 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Makes no sense to get Karlsson.

It’ll never happen. If the asking price on Kane is currently too high for Hex, I can only imagine what any such convo involing Karlsson would involve. 

That said, I absolutely hope Hex has at least contacted Ottawa to ask.

2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

It’ll never happen. If the asking price on Kane is currently too high for Hex, I can only imagine what any such convo involing Karlsson would involve. 

That said, I absolutely hope Hex has at least contacted Ottawa to ask.

Honestly, while we need more help on defense currently, I'd be more interested in getting Hoffman.

I'm not certain where we'd play Hoffman, but I think I could wait and work that out later.

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Honestly, while we need more help on defense currently, I'd be more interested in getting Hoffman.

I'm not certain where we'd play Hoffman, but I think I could wait and work that out later.

He'd immediately be your 2LW with Patrick and Voracek. I don't think there's be any question. Then Laughton centers Lindblom and Simmonds. Raffl - Flip - Weal on the 4th line.

ETA: I think Hoffman is going to be way too expensive to consider acquiring. 

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

ETA: I think Hoffman is going to be way too expensive to consider acquiring. 

I suspect you're quite right.   Between he and Karlsson, though, he'd be my preference just given cost and being less likely to screw up Provorov/Ghost/up-and-comers on defense.

If Hoffman and Karlsson are on the same shelf at the same price, though, gotta go Karlsson, right?

I really like the thought of Hoffman on the 2nd line like you describe and on the 2nd PP unit (if not the first).

14 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I suspect you're quite right.   Between he and Karlsson, though, he'd be my preference just given cost and being less likely to screw up Provorov/Ghost/up-and-comers on defense.

If Hoffman and Karlsson are on the same shelf at the same price, though, gotta go Karlsson, right?

I don't see Karlsson as being someone to screw up the defense. The issue could be whether his injury is going to linger a la Forsberg. But if he is the Karlsson of old, you get essentially two #1 pairs on defense and are you really worried about losing out on one of Morin/Sanheim/Myers/Hagg? 

That said, he is going to be way more expensive than the Flyers should pay. They'd have to re-sign him for it to make sense, and he's probably a max deal contract. 

Hoffman would be a big get for the Flyers in that he solidifies the top 6, with the effect of pushing talent down the lineup and solidifying the bottom 6 and the powerplay. Unless of course, Hakstol screws it up.

I don't think the Flyers are one of these guys away, so I don't think they should move on either. But I wouldn't throw a tantrum if Hoffman came over for a reasonable cost.

9 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

are you really worried about losing out on one of Morin/Sanheim/Myers/Hagg? 

That said, he is going to be way more expensive than the Flyers should pay. They'd have to re-sign him for it to make sense, and he's probably a max deal contract. 

More concerned about the second part than the first.   And the money tied up that could cost Ghost or Provorov when it's payday.

But I think we pretty much agree this is a no-go.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

More concerned about the second part than the first.   And the money tied up that could cost Ghost or Provorov when it's payday.

But I think we pretty much agree this is a no-go.

I think so. From a purely hockey perspective, I don't think there's any reasonable way you can believe adding Karlsson would be a bad thing. But the ancillary costs of acquiring him and then keeping him make it untenable for the Flyers, IMO.

Just now, AJgoal said:

I think so. From a purely hockey perspective, I don't think there's any reasonable way to can believe adding Karlsson would be a bad thing. But the ancillary costs of acquiring him and then keeping him make it untenable for the Flyers, IMO.

As I mentioned, it's a franchise altering move similar to bringing in Pronger. 

1 minute ago, brelic said:

As I mentioned, it's a franchise altering move similar to bringing in Pronger. 

Which is silly at this point, because this is not at all the same situation.

Karlsson won't happen. There's no way. I highly doubt Hoffman will be an option either. The price will be too high.

Hex has been patient with our kids. They're now starting to trickle in. There's no reason to change course right when the plan is starting to bear some fruit.

I think @brelic had the most likely scenario in Reinhart. I'm not saying I want Reinhart on the team. I personally don't think he brings us anything we need. But I can see someone like him being a more likely candidate simply because it would not be a major departure from the Hex plan. Karlsson and even Hoffman would be.

Karlsson is a gamebreaker, no doubt, but we'd have to give up everything to land him. It's not going to happen. Hoffman is a decent player, but whatever team gets him will be over paying. I just can't see Hex doing that at this point.

Reinhart I can see, only because he is so much younger and has a higher ceiling than Hoffman does. Again, I'm not convinced I want him, but it would make more sense imo.

Kane... well... I wouldn't be super surprised honestly. In many ways, he does offer what we're lacking, especially now with Simmer on the mend for a bit. I was just chatting with @brelic about this. Kane does two things in bunches: He hits and he shoots. As it stands, we don't have a ton of forwards who fit that mould. Hex could see it as a need and be more willing to pay the price.

Of course, what happens after this season then? Does he resign? If so, how much and for how long? While no one can say for true if Kane's reputation as a s*** disturber is overblown, I don't think any respectable GM would ignore the possibility either. Does that influence any such decision? I expect it does.

But, what happens if Kane does come over, and he plays very well. This current Flyers team is stacked with playmakers. We've been crying for less passing and more shooting ever since Hartnell was pulling the Hogan cheer out of the crowd. Kane definitely does that bit -- a lot. This also would be the most skilled team he's ever been a part of. It's entirely possible Hex figures that will bring out the best in a guy who has shown potential in the past. Maybe he sees him as the next Simmonds -- sign him now for relatively cheap and watch him become the 30+ goal scorer he was expected to become.

Again, I'm not saying any of this will happen of course. Just adding fuel to the fire. :cheers:

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

In fairness, Sanheim has the upside to be a game breaker and Gostisbehere is looking like he's a game breaker. The only issue with Sanheim is that we have a coach who's head is so far stuck up his ass he can't see the upside Sanheim brings.

I think there is gamebreaker and then there is actual gamebreaker. Karlsson is quite possibly the best dman of this generation. Ghost is clearly very good, but few people would really compare the two. Sanheim even less so.

I see what you're getting at. And really, would a team be better off with one gamebreaker in Karlsson or a pair of high caliber in Ghost and (possibly) Sanheim? Ottawa hasn't exactly done well with just the one guy after all.

Archived