Who do you think should go come trade deadline

Must Go

I think Hextall has to do whatever is necessary (within reason) to move the following:

• Filppula.  He's done.
  • At least one of Manning, Gudas or MacDonald.  Sanheim and Morin should be ready to step in next year.  I think Manning is most likely since he's UFA.  I think Gudas would net the highest return, but he is also their only rightie.  Unlikely anyone takes MacDonald, but you never know.

Do whatever you can to move

I think Hextall should make every effort to move the following, but I think a move would be highly unlikely:

• Lehtera
  • Weise
  • MacDonald (only if Gudas is not traded)

No objection

I have no objection to trading the following for a reasonable return (or less in some cases):

• Voracek
  • Raffl
  • Weal
  • Laughton
  • Gudas (only if MacDonald is not traded)
  • Leier
  • Manning (even if MacDonald or Gudas is dealt, I would be fine with dealing Manning)

Would listen, but...

I would listen to offers for the following, but would have to think hard about it:

• Simmonds
  • Hagg (if Manning is dealt, I'd put Hagg in the bottom category)

Wouldn't listen, unless...

I wouldn't listen to offers for the following, unless they involve significant over-payment:

• Provorov
  • Couturier
  • Ghost
  • Patrick
  • Giroux
  • Konecny

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, King Knut said:

The Cup Window is cracked open now... there's a slight draft and a whiff of fresh air and just gets wider over the next 3-4 years.  No need to sell the farm to buy that missing piece yet.  Giroux is a key part of everything.  I hate to say it because of his contract but Jake is too and I don't think that will change dramatically for either in the next 3 years, at least not due to aging alone.  

Simmonds is the tough one.  We're probably not going to resign him because he will probably get a stupid contract from someone that is more than he will be worth, but TOTALLY something he deserves so he should absolutely take it.

So I say if they market's up on Simmer now, you get some good stuff for him.  Gives you a year to figure out how to play without him.  

I would like this, except, I don't.

It's a good idea, rational, use an asset that to make the team better,  all that. 

I like Simmer on my team too much to "like" it.

I totally get it. I don't like it.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I would like this, except, I don't.

It's a good idea, rational, use an asset that to make the team better,  all that. 

I like Simmer on my team too much to "like" it.

I totally get it. I don't like it.

Dont get me wrong.  I hate it.  I like Simmer enough that I want him to get what he deserves.  More than that if possible. 

I just don’t think it’s a great idea for the Flyers to spend that money on a guy his age. 

1 hour ago, vis said:

No objection

I have no objection to trading the following for a reasonable return (or less in some cases):

• Voracek
  • Raffl
  • Weal
  • Laughton
  • Gudas (only if MacDonald is not traded)
  • Leier
  • Manning (even if MacDonald or Gudas is dealt, I would be fine with dealing Manning

I would not trade Raffl unless someone is offering an absurd pick or prospect.  

I would not not trade Voracek unless they have it on the record that Tavares wants to play RW.  

**Doubly so when you realize Wayne Simmonds probably isn’t going to be a Flyer in a year and a half.  

Laughton is an interesting thought.  They have a lot of centers.  If only they’d seen some of vecchione to know if they can insert him into Laughton’s spot.  Being that they haven’t, I would tend to keep Laughts. 

Manning is far more in my list of “move them for anything” than MacDonald.  Mac has been much better of late, Manning (despite an assist on Saturday) has just plain stunk.  

Gudas can can go as far as I’m concerned but given the option, he’s the only Vet D man i’d Keep.  

Leier... whatever.  He’s a warm body.   Ono e’s taking him at the deadline. 

14 hours ago, King Knut said:

I would not trade Raffl unless someone is offering an absurd pick or prospect.  

Disagree there.  I don't really see him as a big part of the future.  He has moments here and there and then disappears again.  If you can get a good asset for him, move him.  Don't see a need to be blown away by a deal for him.  But I'm also not trying to trade him for a back of pucks.  Just see no reason why he shouldn't be available for a reasonable return.  

I would not not trade Voracek unless they have it on the record that Tavares wants to play RW.  

This is more about cap management down the line and resigning Simmonds.  I think V could net a nice return (but that contract...), particularly given the stats he's put up.  There is still much to his game that I don't like.  Again, reasonable return and I deal him.  Reality is that no one will probably make an offer.  

**Doubly so when you realize Wayne Simmonds probably isn’t going to be a Flyer in a year and a half.  

See above.  Would prefer to keep Simmonds over Voracek, hence why I'd be willing to trade V over Simmonds.  

Laughton is an interesting thought.  They have a lot of centers.  If only they’d seen some of vecchione to know if they can insert him into Laughton’s spot.  Being that they haven’t, I would tend to keep Laughts. 

Again, for a reasonable return and the possibility of Becchione stepping up, why not?

Manning is far more in my list of “move them for anything” than MacDonald.  Mac has been much better of late, Manning (despite an assist on Saturday) has just plain stunk.  

Fair point.  I'd prefer to deal Manning.  

Gudas can can go as far as I’m concerned but given the option, he’s the only Vet D man i’d Keep.

Yes, probably would take the most for me to trade him.

44 minutes ago, vis said:

Disagree there.  I don't really see him as a big part of the future.  He has moments here and there and then disappears again.  If you can get a good asset for him, move him.  Don't see a need to be blown away by a deal for him.  But I'm also not trying to trade him for a back of pucks.  Just see no reason why he shouldn't be available for a reasonable return.  

Well everyone has a price, but Raffl's just a really useful guy.  The guy has literally played on every line and done fairly well.  That's significant. 

I think a line with Laughton and Weal is a great spot for him or the 4th when it was Laughton and Leier and Raffl looked good.

A 4th line with Vecchione & Raffl is almost exactly the kind of line you'd want.   They can trade him if they want or if they have a good deal, but I'm really not sure who'd replace him in the lineup, so they'd probably have to go to free agency which makes me wonder, why bother trading him?

Raffl's the kind of guy who fills out a championship roster whereas Lehtera and Weise and maybe even Leier are just not guys who are on Championship rosters.

This is more about cap management down the line and resigning Simmonds.  I think V could net a nice return (but that contract...), particularly given the stats he's put up.  There is still much to his game that I don't like.  Again, reasonable return and I deal him.  Reality is that no one will probably make an offer.  

See above.  Would prefer to keep Simmonds over Voracek, hence why I'd be willing to trade V over Simmonds.  

You're right, there's a paradox problem with trading Jake in that most teams in a position to need that extra push don't have the cap room for him.

But my problem with trading him is more funadamental.  He's incredibly important to this team.  Sorry, but this season in particular he's been FAR more important than Simmonds, who is looking sharper lately, but is having a fairly off year for him.  On a night to night, goal to goal basis, Jake's been a huge force for this team.  Simmonds and his role can be replaced.  Jake and his role... like I said, if they get it on good authority that Tavares wants to play wing... then go ahead trade him and sign Johnny T.  Otherwise, he's just too important for the time being.  

Jake is a powerhouse on this team.  I know he does things once in a while that poeple jump on his case for, and if fans are looking for a perfect player, he's obviously not it.  But if a fan isn't seeing how vital he is to this team, then I really don't know what to tell them.  

Again, for a reasonable return and the possibility of Becchione stepping up, why not?

I'd feel more comfortable with it if Hextall would let himself (and us) get a look at Vecchione. 

The other half of that for me is that Laughton feels like the kind of player that gets traded and starts lighting it up for someone else (AKA Sharp).  The guy has played for Berube and Hakstol as a professional... I don't think we have any inkling of what he's really capable of.  

To me, Laughton plays out his contract and is a consideration for a deadline move this time next season after you see what you have in Vecchione and a better idea of what's going on with Vorobyov and Rubstov.  

Long story short, I think the goal is to have your Centers be:  Coots, Patrick, Frost & Vecchione/Laughton/Vorobyov.  Rubstov and Laughton are decent possibilities for a move to wing.  Ultimately it makes Laughton potential expendible.

At the end of the day, I don't see the wisdom in trading guys that will have to be replaced in Free Agency by guys who are just about as good at best but probably cost more.  

Fair point.  I'd prefer to deal Manning.  

MAKE IT SO!!!

45 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Noboby is going to offer anything substantial for Raffl. Pretty sure Hextall had an offer of two 2nds for him a few years ago. We'll be lucky if anyone offers one 2nd for him now 

No need.  He's important to the team and an incredibly useful player.  

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

No need.  He's important to the team and an incredibly useful player.  

I like Raffl, but thinking he's an important player is a stretch. He isn't part of this team's core and he isn't a game charger. He's a solid bottom-6 forward and that's it. By this time next season, he'll be on the block or already traded 

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

Well everyone has a price, but Raffl's just a really useful guy.  The guy has literally played on every line and done fairly well. 

I agree and at his price i can't see him getting moved. His is useful to this club.

It would have to be an overpayment before Hextall trades him....hell he has more value than Wiese.

22 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

I like Raffl, but thinking he's an important player is a stretch. He isn't part of this team's core and he isn't a game charger. He's a solid bottom-6 forward and that's it. By this time next season, he'll be on the block or already traded 

I believe that makes him about the 7th or 8th most important forward on the team... but if we're honest with ourselves, that's ONLY in the past few weeks since Konecny and Patrick have been moved up and responded so well.  Before that I'd have called him the 5th or 6th most important forward on the team.

He's valuable because he can chew up minutes responsibly and help make some good things happen, but in the event of injuries, etc he can move up in the lineup and not look out of place.  He looked pretty damn good with Jake and Filppula until Filppula suddenly seemed to remember how old he was. 

The goal is to make him the 11th or 12th most important forward on the team by this time next year.  But once again, for his price tag and what he brings to the team, I see no advantage in getting rid of him.  They don't particularly have prospects waiting in the wings to replace what Raffl does.  THey have a few guys who may eventually get there if they successfully make the switch to a different position... but if they unload Raffl now, they'll just have to replace him in Free Agency and that'd just be a waste for what they'd get for him in trade.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just revisiting this topic.  At this point, I am really reluctant to trade anyone (even Manning, Filppula, Lehtera and Weiss) unless it’s a meaningful upgrade to the current roster.  Seems they have a good chemistry with these guys and I’d be a little afraid to disrupt that.  They earned the right to make a run with the current group.  

9 minutes ago, vis said:

Just revisiting this topic.  At this point, I am really reluctant to trade anyone (even Manning, Filppula, Lehtera and Weiss) unless it’s a meaningful upgrade to the current roster.  Seems they have a good chemistry with these guys and I’d be a little afraid to disrupt that.  They earned the right to make a run with the current group.  

Dropping those three would be a meaningful upgrade to the current roster.

9 minutes ago, vis said:

Yes it is hard to mess with a winning lineup...however they have 7 mill in cap space....this isn't the NFL where you can roll that into next year.

In fact i don't think you can even use it to resign guys for later.

It would be crazy for the Flyers not to use that space....now i don't think they can use it all (not sure) some maybe needed for when Elliott returns.

So if they have say 5+ mill to spend i could see them trying to find some a scorer for the wings. Or even another defensive option for depth instead of having to use a call up.

I just think they can use some more fire power. 

Will they i have to say Ron has at least one more move to pull the trigger on.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Dropping those three would be a meaningful upgrade to the current roster.

Lol.  I get that, but right now this seems to be a tight group.  Remember, the players appointed Filppula an “A.”  Weise seems to be liked based on some of the fluff pieces the Flyers post on the website.  Manning might be good to keep for depth in the POs even if they call up Sanheim or Morin. Lehtera has been contributing.  I wouldn’t trade any of them for anything, eg, picks.  I think that might change chemistry or send a wrong message.  I would consider trading if they get a player(s) back that fill a need on the current roster, eg a good PK player.  

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So if they have say 5+ mill to spend i could see them trying to find some a scorer for the wings. Or even another defensive option for depth instead of having to use a call up.

I just think they can use some more fire power. 

I think my post may be being misinterpreted.  As I said,  I am really reluctant to trade anyone unless it’s a meaningful upgrade to the current roster.  Key part is bolded.  I wouldn't be looking to trade players simply for draft pics.  When I first posted in this thread, I categorized a number of players as "must go" and categorized others as players I would do anything I could to trade.   In my mind, that meant trading those players for picks and/or possibly taking back more salary.  Not necessarily upgrading the current roster.  Now, I don't think I'd trade anyone just for picks or to dump a player.  For me, I think they should only trade if they get a player back that upgrades the current roster.  Your suggestions above fit the bill for me.

6 minutes ago, vis said:

I think my post may be being misinterpreted.  As I said,  I am really reluctant to trade anyone unless it’s a meaningful upgrade to the current roster.  Key part is bolded.  I wouldn't be looking to trade players simply for draft pics.  When I first posted in this thread, I categorized a number of players as "must go" and categorized others as players I would do anything I could to trade.   In my mind, that meant trading those players for picks and/or possibly taking back more salary.  Not necessarily upgrading the current roster.  Now, I don't think I'd trade anyone just for picks or to dump a player.  For me, I think they should only trade if they get a player back that upgrades the current roster.  Your suggestions above fit the bill for me.

I guess you lost mean when you mentioned Manning Lehtera and Weise and i don't think those guys could be part of an upgrade.

Those guys would be part of salary/roster spot dumps.

I think if you try to upgrade it will require a prospect/roster player back (ie. Weal and a 3rd for example)....but i could be wrong.

But if you could move a turd in the trade too....even better.

However i got what you're saying.

Why does anyone want to trade Laughton and Raffl ? They are perfect fourth line players. Laughton has 10 goals , which is pretty good  and he should only get better, and Raffl is a great utility guy, he can play all the forward positions and when injuries hit, he has always stepped up his game when he plays with more quality linemates.

To Philadelphia: Erik Karlsson
To Ottawa: Travis Sanheim, German Rubtsov, Jordan Weal, Two first-round picks

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers-hypothetical-trade-erik-karlsson-ron-hextall-sanheim-rubtsov-picks-myers-frost-plan-accelerating-stockpile-picks-prospects/

Since everyone is talking about moving Sanheim....what about his suggestion??

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers-hypothetical-trade-erik-karlsson-ron-hextall-sanheim-rubtsov-picks-myers-frost-plan-accelerating-stockpile-picks-prospects/

Personally I'm kind of uneasy with a Karlsson deal. With that being said, I'd like to see the Flyers be the third team in there to help with salary issues and walk away with some additional picks and prospects. From what the rumored deal with Tampa Bay and Las Vegas is, Vegas will take on a big contract (Ryan), but they'll end up with a first, second and prospect Taylor Raddysh. I'd be content if the Flyers could pull that off.

45 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

If Holmgren or Bobby Clark were the GM this likely would be a trade.  But this is now Provorov's team that Hextall has put into place, and a deal like this won't happen.

55 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am really shocked that Ottawa is even considering moving Karlsonn?  SHOCKED.  

Archived