Alex Lyon is inexcusably bad

King Knut

I’m sorry, but the guy looks like he’s new to not only the position, but the game and the concept of ice. 

I hope this expkains to some of you who have been complaining abou Hakstol and his treatment of the goalies, why hak tried so hard not to play Lyon.  

He has looked not just awful but monumentally  awful.  Like worst goalie I’ve ever innthe nhl awful. 

I feel awful for the guy and forsaying it so bluntly but I simply don’t his atrocity can be understated.  

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

I’m sorry, but the guy looks like he’s new to not only the position, but the game and the concept of ice. 

I hope this expkains to some of you who have been complaining abou Hakstol and his treatment of the goalies, why hak tried so hard not to play Lyon.  

He has looked not just awful but monumentally  awful.  Like worst goalie I’ve ever innthe nhl awful. 

I feel awful for the guy and forsaying it so bluntly but I simply don’t his atrocity can be understated.  

Well look at the bright side...he isn't signed for 9 years for $51 million.

9 hours ago, King Knut said:

Reminds me a bit of Cal Heeter. He also looked like he’d never played goalie before. 

Oh well. Now we know, right?

Some grasp the moment and Lyons didn't.  Hopefully, Neuvirth can play healthy until Elliot returns.

Anyone know when Stolarz might be ready?  This team could use a 3rd NHL type goalie before the trade deadline.

I don't think any of this surprised the brass. He hasn't actually been good in Lehigh. He's been okay to not quite okay. 

Again, this is why Neuvy is even here. They knew he wouldn't even be suitable for a backup.  He's a place holder until Hart and Sandstrom reach that stage. He'll likely be backup to them in Lehigh. 

Stolarz is a meh backup at best. No more.  But he didn't embarrass himself when given the shot. So meh backup will be fine if that's the role he's placed in. 

I'm actually glad that Lyon didn't play over his head and confuse everyone -- team included.   That would have been an utter waste of time and would have been annoying. 

14 hours ago, King Knut said:

Well i for one feel better about it.

I always prefer to KNOW than to try and guess or watch someone in the AHL playing with a bunch of other career AHLers and prospects and project their game to the next level.

I prefer ok if the guy is playing well at the AHL level (which he most recently did at the outdoor game versus Hershey) an then give him a look in the NHL surrounded by NHL talent to then know yes he can help or no he can't.

Now the down side is that it sounds like he can't and will just be an after thought.

So now they will need to hope Stollie gets better soon and maybe he is resigned for next year in the AHL or even to tandem with Hart next year or Stollie could be penciled in to backup Elliott and they just move Neuvy at some point.

I feel bad for Lyon but that is how it goes sometimes. Not everyone can play in the NHL.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

But he didn't embarrass himself when given the shot. So meh backup will be fine if that's the role he's placed in. 

Yeah all he did was shutout the Devils and couldn't get another start......and hell Mason in 10 tries couldn't even beat them. 

That to me was the start of the WTF Hak moments last year....especially right after Mason had hurt his hand vs. the Oilers.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah all he did was shutout the Devils and couldn't get another start......and hell Mason in 10 tries couldn't even beat them. 

That to me was the start of the WTF Hak moments last year....especially right after Mason had hurt his hand vs. the Oilers.

Right.   Agree with all of that.

He'll still be a meh backup.

Heck, Andrew Hammond played over his head for a month or two.   Now he can't get a gig even as a backup.    This was my point about being glad Lyon didn't play over his head and cause the team to give him a dumb contract and for fans to do a Scottie Upshall for a couple years.  That would make me want to hurt myself.

Same with Stolarz.   He had a shutout against the Devils.   Yay.  He didn't embarrass himself.   He had a good game and so did the team in front of him.  But he is going to be a backup NHLer at best.   Now we have to have discussions about a shutout justifying the inane argument that he's a legitimate starting option in the NHL.   He's not.  He's not going to be.  He, too, is a place holder until better options arrive.   He has probably at least some NHL backup in him.  Lyons has drive-thru attendant written all over him.

I completely agree with the bolded part.   That was an excellent opportunity to give the kid a real "show me" shot instead of playing a broken guy we were shipping out of town anyway.

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

He'll still be a meh backup.

Maybe. Kid takes up a lot of room at 6-6.

He has pretty decent numbers for the 7 games he has played in. 2.07 gaa and 928% aren't to shabby. 1 shutout.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe. Kid takes up a lot of room at 6-6.

He has pretty decent numbers for the 7 games he has played in. 2.07 gaa and 928% aren't to shabby.

I would argue it's a mirage.   That doesn't mean you're wrong, either.

But I submit to you Hammond's numbers on his 24 game run.   A career "meh" minor leaguer and "meh" since.    1.79 GAA and 941% 

2014-15 Ottawa Senators NHL 24 1 0 1411 42 0 3 1.79 20 1 2 665 0.941

Just saying I'm glad Lyon showed exactly what he is so it didn't even inspire this particular discussion.

19 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I would argue it's a mirage. 

I disagree. I go by what i saw and i saw a guy who moved well side to side didn't give up a lot of rebounds and took up a lot of net.

Also wasn't quick to go down. It is why i was so mad they didn't play him more last year when they needed wins.

I mean they needed some one who would cover up for their mistakes and i thought in the little bit i saw from him he played well enough to keep Mason on the bench.....but Hak wouldn't have any part in that he like it difficult.

He just turned 24 and i think he can help. However it might not be this year.

The plus side of the Lyon experiment was hey didn't cost anything....he was a free agent signing.

Makes me wonder now if the Flyers will pursue North Dakota's free agent goalie at the end of the year as a stop gap type signing?

Cam Johnson was recruited to ND by Hak so they could peresde him.

The unknown once again is could he help....this year or in the near future....sorry my crystal ball is broke.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I disagree. I go by what i saw and i saw a guy who moved well side to side didn't give up a lot of rebounds and took up a lot of net.

Also wasn't quick to go down. It is why i was so mad they didn't play him more last year when they needed wins.

I mean they needed some one who would cover up for their mistakes and i thought in the little bit i saw from him he played well enough to keep Mason on the bench.....but Hak wouldn't have any part in that he like it difficult.

He just turned 24 and i think he can help. However it might not be this year.

Only making me comfortable with my being happy Lyon didn't play over his head. 

One less player to be wasting time having this discussion about. 

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I don't think any of this surprised the brass. He hasn't actually been good in Lehigh. He's been okay to not quite okay. 

Again, this is why Neuvy is even here. They knew he wouldn't even be suitable for a backup.  He's a place holder until Hart and Sandstrom reach that stage. He'll likely be backup to them in Lehigh. 

Stolarz is a meh backup at best. No more.  But he didn't embarrass himself when given the shot. So meh backup will be fine if that's the role he's placed in. 

I'm actually glad that Lyon didn't play over his head and confuse everyone -- team included.   That would have been an utter waste of time and would have been annoying. 

Stolarz actually played very well.  He didn’t blow any minds, but he stopped the ones he was supposed to and IMHO more importantly, the team played better for him than for Mason. 

I saw no signs of him being anything but a good backup.  I think that’s what Hextall wantis d for this year and why he resigned Neuvy to protect Stolie.  Injuries had a different plan.  

Lyon looks like he’s used to high school or teener hockey. 

36 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Stolarz actually played very well.  He didn’t blow any minds, but he stopped the ones he was supposed to and IMHO more importantly, the team played better for him than for Mason. 

I saw no signs of him being anything but a good backup.  I think that’s what Hextall wantis d for this year and why he resigned Neuvy to protect Stolie.  Injuries had a different plan.  

Exactly. All of it. 

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

And right now that is all i would want from Stolie a backup spot who could play a few games to give Elliott a break.

And i think he can handle that.

Buy right now we don't even know if he can help at all this year.

So right now they need Neuvy bad.

Until Elliott can go again.

Mighy as well send Lyon back to the AHL if he can't help.

Flyers will be lucky as hell to make the playoffs i think now.

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

I'd bring Tokarski up 

The only problem is that he's not waiver exempt. I know, most people would say "so what?," except the organization is not likely to just give a goalie away if they can avoid it.

If he comes up, he stays up - and for that to happen, Elliott or Neuvirth would have to be traded.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Elliott or Neuvirth would have to be traded.

So trade Neuvy before hand. Problem solved.....however i think Neuvy is better than Tokarski....so that would be a problem.

It is looking like no playoffs for this club anyways.....so clear some junk out.

Greetings:

My take on Lyon may not be as bad as some, particularly in this last game.  I might argue the D left him out to dry on at least two of the goals.  I also think three games is a bit of short time to judge.  Mr. Sateri was second star this week in the NHL..his first three starts with the Panthers were terrible:

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/Panthers-Sateri-Named-Second-Star-of-the-Week-472775833.html

Granted, his pro background is deeper than Lyon's but three games and out is a little short.  If another start or two were poor...different story. 

And by the same token, Hamburgler had a great stretch, but as others have mentioned...he is now languishing in the minors.  

Best,

Howie

On 2/4/2018 at 4:48 PM, OccamsRazor said:

And right now that is all i would want from Stolie a backup spot who could play a few games to give Elliott a break.

And i think he can handle that.

Buy right now we don't even know if he can help at all this year.

So right now they need Neuvy bad.

Until Elliott can go again.

Mighy as well send Lyon back to the AHL if he can't help.

Flyers will be lucky as hell to make the playoffs i think now.

Really depends on how long Elliott's out.  Three games they can probably absorb if they can return to playing like they were. 

Much more than that and it's gonna get sticky quickly

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Really depends on how long Elliott's out.  Three games they can probably absorb if they can return to playing like they were. 

Much more than that and it's gonna get sticky quickly

Elliott is suppose to be back for the Canes game tomorrow....not sure if he will start.

12 hours ago, CoutsSnipes14 said:

Lyon hasn't looked great in his two starts but it's too early to make a call on the kid. We have to give him a chance to make mistakes like any rookie goalie. 

Unfortunately you can't just wait for a 24 year old goalie to show he belongs in the NHL

Archived