Alex Lyon is inexcusably bad

King Knut

On 2/8/2018 at 7:50 AM, RJ8812 said:

Unfortunately you can't just wait for a 24 year old goalie to show he belongs in the NHL

Normally, I'd try not to let his age bother me, but he didn't just make some mistakes, he looked utterly out of touch with how to play the position at this level.  

Somehow he looked like some kind of Alien that knew how to skate, how to wear the pads, and the basics of how a goalie stands and what a goalie does, but that he'd never actually played a game before.  

Like he'd been practicing in a rink in his basement for 15 years but playing entirely imaginary games.  

I hate saying that because it sounds so incredibly mean spirited.  I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and suggest that maybe he got really really really REALLY REALLY jittery and nervous in his first two starts...

Then again that doesn't bode well for an NHL goalie either.  

42 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Normally, I'd try not to let his age bother me, but he didn't just make some mistakes, he looked utterly out of touch with how to play the position at this level.  

Somehow he looked like some kind of Alien that knew how to skate, how to wear the pads, and the basics of how a goalie stands and what a goalie does, but that he'd never actually played a game before.  

Like he'd been practicing in a rink in his basement for 15 years but playing entirely imaginary games.  

I hate saying that because it sounds so incredibly mean spirited.  I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and suggest that maybe he got really really really REALLY REALLY jittery and nervous in his first two starts...

Then again that doesn't bode well for an NHL goalie either.  

I don't think is that big of a deal.

He was a free agent signing like Matt Read he cost nothing really resource wise and now maybe the Flyers can focus now on Stolie and decide on which one now they prefer to sign to compete in LV next year with Hart...or better yet pray Stolie could at least (once healthy of course) push Neuvy out the door.

Hey they tried and who knows maybe he pushes the Phantoms deep into the playoffs and he gets better it can happen.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think is that big of a deal.

He was a free agent signing like Matt Read he cost nothing really resource wise and now maybe the Flyers can focus now on Stolie and decide on which one now they prefer to sign to compete in LV next year with Hart...or better yet pray Stolie could at least (once healthy of course) push Neuvy out the door.

Hey they tried and who knows maybe he pushes the Phantoms deep into the playoffs and he gets better it can happen.

Like I said elsewhere... even if it doesn't work out... he's a Yale Grad.  If the hockey thing doesn't work out, he can always skull and bones that thing and I think he'll land on his feet.  

• 2 weeks later...

Good bounce back performance for Lyon.  It's really hard to judge him one way or the other on such a small body of work.  I imagine we will be seeing more of him with both of our starting goalies hurt, at least until Hexy is able to find a stop gap.  For everyone involved, I hope those 1st 2 shaky outings are not indicative of his abilities at the NHL level, because this team is finally humming along towards the playoffs and it would really suck to once again get bounced out or miss altogether due to crappy goal tending! 

5 hours ago, Adamflyers said:

Good bounce back performance for Lyon.  It's really hard to judge him one way or the other on such a small body of work.  I imagine we will be seeing more of him with both of our starting goalies hurt, at least until Hexy is able to find a stop gap.  For everyone involved, I hope those 1st 2 shaky outings are not indicative of his abilities at the NHL level, because this team is finally humming along towards the playoffs and it would really suck to once again get bounced out or miss altogether due to crappy goal tending! 

I hope it was just jitters and that he has calmed down and can just play now.

It helps that he is undefeated at MSG now 4-0 going back to college!

We will see what happens in the next few games. But for right now to counteract any Shakey goaltending it means team defense has to be a priority.

We win with shakey goaltending and team defense/playing with urgency and being opportunistic. Running four lines, short shifts.

Bring back Leighton to redeem himself while, Elliot/Neuvy heals.

I know many hate Leighton for what happened in the finals, but I'll say it again, he was better positionally skilled than Neimi was and took us through the playoffs. Carter et all other players had the chance to win it with empty netters and couldn't pounce them in.

A sharp angle goal happens once in a while and better players know to roll the dice and try to make them in or give their linemates a chance to tap in a rebound, Kane did what smart forwards do and shoot it towards the net. I guarantee you he didn't know it was going in, but knew there was a chance for it to go in off a rebound or deflection.

Leighton was like a wall out their during the run.

Now Lyon looks to have some skill to work with. He's going to need team defense to help win him some games.

We should bring in the local Philly goalie Eric Semborski  for emergency back up and see what he does.

We're in a tough adverse situation but Team play can get us out of it, just ask the Eagles, btw Nick Foles says high and good luck... That's the whole team.

I think the Flyers organization needs to bring an old school Break Dance instructor for "Neuvy and the Goalies" they could use a lesson on core development, learn how to flop, kickworm, and spin on their heads and strike a pose, and be able to kip up back to their feet. That would keep them injury free.....go on F.O. bust a move....not a goalie....

Well over the last two games the kid has redeemed himself.

Faced 53 shots and stopped 50 of them for a 943% not to shabby.

So oh no he don't suck now.....

...i would love to see Stolie get healthy to see and Lyon battle it out for what i think will be only one spot available on the Phantoms.

The other will be for Hart.

The loser of this battle rights will be traded or just not qualified so they can sign where ever.

Archived