Game 53: Flyers at Hurricanes, 2/6 @ 7

Howie58

Greetings:

As of this this writing, there is no favorite:

http://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-carolina-odds-february-6-2018-868804

We are better over the last 10 games in almost all stats but one--our PP and PK are worse.  Both have been killing us of late.  Our "savior," Brian Elliott is off IR but may not start. 

Cam Ward's performance against the Flyers is quite poor, 11-16, 2.76 GAA: (See Dave Hess's prediction): 

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/2-6-2018/philadelphia-flyers-vs-carolina-hurricanes-expert-prediction-7317/

These are two struggling teams.  You'd like to think the O and B will be trying to redeem itself after a four game skid, but I suspect the bookies can't install a favorite for a reason: our inconsistency. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to DirecTV or whoever schedules NHL center ice I'm stuck with the Cane's broadcast instead of the flyers feed (AGAIN) . Can't stand listening to their mindless ramblings I'd much rather listen to JJ and the boys. Don't think I'll be paying for it next year, it's not worth the aggravation, I'll learn how to stream it instead, so Whoever you are who makes up the programming schedule YOU SUCK!!! now about the game, we can't afford to lose any more games , especially to lower seeded teams . If we struggle in any way tonight you can probably reserve your tee times now, not saying Carolina is a bad team (they suck) but if we're a truly going to be a cup contender we should have little problems with the Cane's, but time will tell, hopefully we use Carolina to right the ship and then go on a nice long run and stay the course through the end of the season staying in the wins column (of course).

My gut says control of the neutral zone is critical. They have speed. If we clog them, we should do OK.

It appears Elliott is back in goal:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/philadelphia-flyers-carolina-hurricanes-preview-bill-peters-brian-elliott-20180206.html

Historically we play well against this team...but they seem to play us well on their home ice.  

Image result for flyers goal vs canes gif

Well from Bill Melter:

PROJECTED LINEUPS 

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
93 Jakub Voracek - 19 Nolan Patrick - 17 Wayne Simmonds
20 Taylor Leier - 21 Scott Laughton - 40 Jordan Weal
12 Michael Raffl - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 15 Jori Lehterä

9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere 
47 Andrew MacDonald -3 Robert Hägg
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

37 Brian Elliott
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: 22 Dale Weise (healthy), 39 Mark Alt (healthy).

HURRICANES

20 Sebastian Aho - 11 Jordan Staal - 86 Teuvo Teravainen 
23 Brock McGinn - 49 Victor Rask - 14 Justin Williams
53 Jeff Skinner - 7 Derek Ryan - 21 Lee Stempniak 
42 Joakim Nordstrom - 16 Marcus Kruger - 28 Elias Lindholm

4 Haydn Fleury - 27 Justin Faulk
74 Jaccob Slavin - 22 Brett Pesce 
5 Noah Hanifin - 57 Trevor van Riemsdyk

30 Cam Ward
[33 Scott Darling] 

Scratches: 6 Klas Dahlbeck (healthy),19 Josh Jooris (healthy), 34 Phillip DiGiuseppe (healthy).

I would love to see Alt inserted and Manning sat. But i guess Man Dog is Hak's new love child.

This is a huge game tonight. With Philly's recent fall from grace they are just one point ahead of the Canes in the standings with a game in hand.

Philly needs this game. They 5-4-1 in their last 10.

Canes are 4-6-0 and have lost the last two games.

Flyers are only one point from the last wild card spot with two games in hand on the Isles.

Go Flyers!!!!!

14 minutes ago, brelic said:

I like moving Raffl to the 4th line. It will bring some stability and responsibility to that line. Sucks for Raffl, but it's better for the team right now.

Yeah that 3rd line of Leier Laughton and Weal should be interesting to say the least not big but should be very quick versus the Canes.

Water bug line.

Flyers really really need to get back on a winning track. I would love some playoff this year.

Yeah i know a draft pick would be nice but man i want playoff hockey again. MORE!

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers really really need to get back on a winning track. I would love some playoff this year.

Yeah i know a draft pick would be nice but man i want playoff hockey again. MORE!

Me too. There ain't nothin' like it!

1 minute ago, RJ8812 said:

I'd fire Lappy as well 

If not during the season he has to be shown the door after the season....only PK worse is the Oilers. Unacceptable.

Timonen was a PK warrior wonder if he would be a good teacher?? Might not be interested in coaching though.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

If not during the season he has to be shown the door after the season....only PK worse is the Oilers. Unacceptable.

Timonen was a PK warrior wonder if he would be a good teacher?? Might not be interested in coaching though.

I love Timonen but no thanks. This organization has to stop being an Old Man's Club and giving jobs to retired ex players. Especially when they really don't deserve it and  have zero coaching experience (ie: Lappy) 

If Timmonen had coaching experience, then maybe. But just because he was a great PKer as a player, doesn't mean he would be successful as a coach. Just look at Gretzky's coaching career 

Just now, RJ8812 said:

But just because he was a great PKer as a player, doesn't mean he would be successful as a coach. Just look at Gretzky's coaching career 

Just look at Lappy's...

In his defense, it's hard to coach players to stick their faces in front of slapshots from the point.

2 minutes ago, vis said:

Just look at Lappy's...

In his defense, it's hard to coach players to stick their faces in front of slapshots from the point.

I think Lappy could be a good coach but he never paid his dues or got time to learn the game of hockey as a coach. He was the Flyers head of development for like 2 seasons then he was named assistant coach of the Flyers 

Archived