Button's Top 50 Prospects

brelic

https://www.tsn.ca/cupboard-is-stocked-for-up-and-coming-canucks-1.989909

Interesting list. Flyers have four among the top 50.

Hart (19th), Myers (30th), Frost (33rd), and Rubtsov (47th).

The three goalies ranked above Hart are impressive (7th, 9th, 10th). All three are putting up monster numbers in the KHL.

The top-ranked prospect, Elias Pettersson, is putting up even more impressive numbers than Lindblom in the SHL. Looks like Vancouver got a good one.

If Hexy is going to make a trade involving prospects, let's hope he snags one from this list. 

2 hours ago, brelic said:

https://www.tsn.ca/cupboard-is-stocked-for-up-and-coming-canucks-1.989909

Interesting list. Flyers have four among the top 50.

Hart (19th), Myers (30th), Frost (33rd), and Rubtsov (47th).

The three goalies ranked above Hart are impressive (7th, 9th, 10th). All three are putting up monster numbers in the KHL.

The top-ranked prospect, Elias Pettersson, is putting up even more impressive numbers than Lindblom in the SHL. Looks like Vancouver got a good one.

If Hexy is going to make a trade involving prospects, let's hope he snags one from this list. 

It would be nice if this guy explained why he has some of these people so high over others? 

I guess he put the Russians so high because the KHL is supposed to be so competitive?  The Same with Pettersen and the SHL?

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It would be nice if this guy explained why he has some of these people so high over others? 

I guess he put the Russians so high because the KHL is supposed to be so competitive?  The Same with Pettersen and the SHL?

To be fair, there's only 1 Russian who is not a goalie in the top 20 and only 2 non-goalie Russians in total (Kaprizov, Rubstov). The 3 top-10 Russians are all goalies and each one of them is highly touted by all scouts. 

As for the SHL, it's probably the 2nd best league in the world. 

Meh

51 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

To be fair, there's only 1 Russian who is not a goalie in the top 20 and only 2 non-goalie Russians in total (Kaprizov, Rubstov). The 3 top-10 Russians are all goalies and each one of them is highly touted by all scouts. 

As for the SHL, it's probably the 2nd best league in the world. 

Meh

From what I've been hearing over the last couple of years the debate goes back and forth between SHL vs. AHL as the 2nd best league in the world.  

The smaller ice surface tends to screw with a lot of Russians and Swedes at first. 

Interesting to think about goalies who I expect see a lot more traffic in the AHL and NHL, but probably have to be sharper on overall awareness and shooting in the rinks with more room to skate around.  

I wonder with the Canucks having all this youth in the system and likely losing the Sedins this year if THEY will be the ones pushing hardest for Tavares this summer.

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

From what I've been hearing over the last couple of years the debate goes back and forth between SHL vs. AHL as the 2nd best league in the world.  

The smaller ice surface tends to screw with a lot of Russians and Swedes at first. 

Interesting to think about goalies who I expect see a lot more traffic in the AHL and NHL, but probably have to be sharper on overall awareness and shooting in the rinks with more room to skate around.  

I wonder with the Canucks having all this youth in the system and likely losing the Sedins this year if THEY will be the ones pushing hardest for Tavares this summer.

Sure, fair points. 

As for the Canyucks, you could not pay me enough to be a fan of that franchise. They're hooped.

10 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Sure, fair points. 

As for the Canyucks, you could not pay me enough to be a fan of that franchise. They're hooped.

They lost me when they gave up on this logo...

canucks1.jpg

I didn't mind the V sweaters as they were at least interesting for the time,

FullFlyingV.jpg

but this was just horrendous:

canucks.jpg

7 hours ago, brelic said:

The top-ranked prospect, Elias Pettersson, is putting up even more impressive numbers than Lindblom in the SHL.

Sure but one was the 5TH OVERALL and one was a 5th round pick. I like the value.

The Canucks did get a nice prospect though i agree.

4 hours ago, King Knut said:

I think the reason he has them ranked so high is they are putting up good numbers (the goalies that is) in the KHL which is a league that has grown men in it, a lot of kids too though.

However i don't think the overall talent is all that....many many guys who can't find jobs in the NHL and AHL are over there too.

So it to me is hard still to judge.

Regardless i like the Flyers prospects in net no matter where they rank in his profile.

Which league after the NHL is the best league in the world, who should be considered?

KHL, SEHL, Swiss league, Liga and the AHL are probably the most high profile,  from the net I found a chart from 2007:

1. Russia: $400,000
2. Sweden: $200,000
3. Switzerland: $170,000
4. Germany (DEL): $150,000
5. Czech Republic: $100,000
6. Slovakia: $75,000
7. Finland: $67,000

The figure for Finland is surely to low. Did they miss a 1-digit before the 67? I also think the Czech number is too high? What do you think? 

http://forums.internationalhockey.net/showthread.php?6068-Salary-levels-in-European-top-leagues-and-in-NA

Finland is part of Liga.

Didn't include the "A" but now I think the average salary is around $85 thou.

According to this list KHL should be considered the #2 league in the world but a lot of players that aren't NHL quality, unwanted in the "A", go to Europe like fading stars, Jagr, to burn out exNHLers like Brooks Laich. These players really skew the salary structure of the Leagues in Europe like I believe Brooks Laich makes around $400 tho in Switzerland. Brooks Laich isn't even a superior AHLer now.

It would be interesting if all these leagues could somehow face each other to determine superiorityI don't mean all star teams, I think the "A" would win.  

18 minutes ago, hobie said:

It would be interesting if all these leagues could somehow face each other to determine superiorityI don't mean all star teams, I think the "A" would win.  

I would enjoy this too.

Yes i would think the AHL is chocked full of young talent ready and fighting to get a spot on a NHL club.

It would be a very interesting battle. They also have their share of older vet players too.

If anything i would say they are neck and neck a tie for now till proven otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lucifer said:

Eeli Tolvanen is more greater than swede youngster.

He started out hot to start the KHL season but quickly has gone quiet....he will have to get much bigger to deal with the physical rigors of the NHL.

He is a Preds draft pick though and he will be given time develop if they trade him for their playoff window.

Eeli Tolvanen is about an inch shorter than Marner and maybe 20 pounds heavier, he's also an inch taller than Johnny Hockey and more than 20 pounds heavier.

Size has been a huge concern in the past but in the NHL now with enforced rules size isn't as much an issue.

53 minutes ago, hobie said:

Eeli Tolvanen is about an inch shorter than Marner and maybe 20 pounds heavier, he's also an inch taller than Johnny Hockey and more than 20 pounds heavier.

Size has been a huge concern in the past but in the NHL now with enforced rules size isn't as much an issue.

We'll  see he is small the reason he has went quiet he lit it up to start with and then teams change their attack plan in order to neutralize him and it has worked he has struggled lately.

It will only get harder in the NHL.

Some rise above like Tampa's Johnson and some fade away. We'll see which he is soon.

Archived