Hagg Problems

King Knut

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

It is Morin will be a Flyer if not by the end of the season/playoffs he will by the start of next year. I think Sanheim too.

And Travis if need be for a numbers reason will be waiver exempt.

Myers should be close and i would expect maybe by mid year of 2018-19 Myers will be close and pushing someone out the nest (maybe Gudas). #fingerscrossed

They won't have any numbers problems unless they try to sign Tavares.  It's all a matter of having the will to play them and let them work through their bumps.  

What's scary (good) is that Myers is apparently looking better and better now too, so there's going to be even more of a battle.  

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

They won't have any numbers problems unless they try to sign Tavares.  It's all a matter of having the will to play them and let them work through their bumps.  

What's scary (good) is that Myers is apparently looking better and better now too, so there's going to be even more of a battle.  

I mean numbers body wise on the blueline.

Ivan Ghost

Sanheim Hagg

Morin Gudas

Mcdud

That is 7 and Mcdud would be my 7th with Manning shipped out.

However we know Mcdud is a Hak love child so with Morin having to go through waivers i would not want Sanheim sitting/scratched.

Therefor scratch Mcdud since they are stuck with him.

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I mean numbers body wise on the blueline.

Ivan Ghost

Sanheim Hagg

Morin Gudas

Mcdud

That is 7 and Mcdud would be my 7th with Manning shipped out.

However we know Mcdud is a Hak love child so with Morin having to go through waivers i would not want Sanheim sitting/scratched.

Therefor scratch Mcdud since they are stuck with him.

If it's me, I go with

Ivan Ghost

Hagg Morin

Sanheim Gudas

McDud in pressbox

Just to balance out Physicality and puck moving skills a little bit more.  No matter what, they can do it, it's just a matter of having the will to trust in the players that are ultimately better for the team and it's future.  

Still leaves you Prospects like Friedman and Myers for Call ups and Alt for a safety.

If they really want to feel safe, then they can resign Manning, but just as long as it's understood he's a Phantom and only comes to Philly for call up duty.  

I don't trust Hak to sink in with that.

the Manning/ Gudas pairing was pretty dreadful at times last night.

It seemed as though those guys got worked by the Habs frequently.

The Hagg/MacDonald pairing had it's moments of fright as well, but for me 3 and 23 need separated pronto.

52 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

I don't trust hackjob in the least bit to figure out how to best utilize the talent this team has and show's at times

What I will give him is that I'm pretty happy with the way the Forwards are looking now.  As grumpy as I was with the usage of Patrick and Konecney and even Weal most of the year, I feel like he's got all the forwards where they will do the most for the team.  

Whether or not I think he has all the forwards he should is a different question entirely.  

But with what he's got, I think he's finally doing the right things with them.  

44 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

the Manning/ Gudas pairing was pretty dreadful at times last night.

It seemed as though those guys got worked by the Habs frequently.

The Hagg/MacDonald pairing had it's moments of fright as well, but for me 3 and 23 need separated pronto.

There's definitely a price to be paid for putting Ghost and Provo on the same pairing.  

The bottom 4 are noticeably weaker.

To me, the sooner you can improve that bottom 4, the better and the first steps are Morin and Sanheim replacing Mac and Manning as ever day players.  

I honestly don't think Manning would be in the every day lineup right now if Morin hadn't gotten hurt... and again... and then again (okay, I know it's the same injury, but still).

I also happen to think Hextall REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted Hak to be playing Sanheim over Manning, but didn't feel like it was appropriate to force him to... and I honestly can't disagree with that.  The only way to literally do that is to try to put Manning through Waivers to the Phantoms and at under a million, he's likely to be claimed and you're likely to lose him for nothing.  

Besides that, there's the whole, chain of command, micro-managing, keeping the coach empowered thing which I actually totally respect.  

Gudas has looked slow and off, especially last night.  Not sure I get what's going on with him.  New dad fatigue maybe?  I know that feeling.  

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

Hagg Morin

I can't even imagine the total amount of hits that combo would be enacting. Does any site keep track of hit records? I almost hope this happens just for that reason.

22 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I can't even imagine the total amount of hits that combo would be enacting. Does any site keep track of hit records? I almost hope this happens just for that reason.

I'm sure JJ and Coatesy would check in on those numbers between every period.

On 2/7/2018 at 10:47 AM, King Knut said:

I don't want to get all negative, but I've been a little disappointed with Hagg lately.  

No one's more surprised than me about this.

His positioning's been off and he's been making some poor decisions.  Some feel like rookie mistakes (like attacking the shooter and leaving the trailing player wide open on the 2 on 1 against Ottawa)  that are more fundamental (i.e. you shouldn't make it in the AHL either).

The excuse could be made that they were all really tired and needed a shift, but the Lindholm goal last night was almost 100% on Hagg.  He allowed Lindholm to completely out-position him in front of the net and then did nothing to bump him off the puck after the pass came through.  It's situations like this that make me crave Sam Morin so much.

But is Hagg just worn out?  Mental and physical fatigue?  He's played full seasons enough in Lehigh, but is it just against such better and bigger competition that's getting to him?  

HHHHhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

HHHHhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

I'm a mild fan of analytics, but this doesn't really address what I'm talking about.  Unless Applyard is literally suggesting Hagg was this bad all season, that he doesn't really know how to play defense, he's just been lucky all year and it's only been the last few games that it's cost the team goals against?  

15 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm a mild fan of analytics, but this doesn't really address what I'm talking about.  Unless Applyard is literally suggesting Hagg was this bad all season, that he doesn't really know how to play defense, he's just been lucky all year and it's only been the last few games that it's cost the team goals against?  

He is not bad by any means every player has plays they don't play well on.....even the immortal Provorov has had some this year.

Not worried about the kid.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

He is not bad by any means every player has plays they don't play well on.....even the immortal Provorov has had some this year.

Not worried about the kid.

There's a difference between constructive critique and being worried.  

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I said do both....no one is mad by all do whatever. I was just voicing my opinion on the matter. Carry on.

I think I meant that as a sort of (SHRUG) and agreement than in a defensive way.  Like, right?  Meh... what else are we gonna do?

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

While I agree he does, he certainly isn't just a boxscore watcher. The guy knows the game.

Sure, but you can't over depend on analytics (which he does)

If you did, then people would still be arguing that Matt Carle was as good as Ryan Suter 

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

Appleyard depends too much on analytics 

I should institute some use of analytics around the house with the fam. House chores are the obvious first step, but I'm sure I could extent this to a number of other categories. Not complaining about my cooking might be a good one.

Suggestions? Spread sheet code to use?

7 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

If you did, then people would still be arguing that Matt Carle was as good as Ryan Suter 

He was he did help his teams to the conference finals and then even to the finals....Suter can't even do that...

...decent regular season defenseman though i guess can be put on his banner!!!!:hehe:

Edit: And before i get a flood of whining i'm just joking around however Suter is as over rated as they come.

On 2/9/2018 at 5:04 PM, King Knut said:

Bingo. Hagg's metrics suggest that he was getting lucky in the goals against area. And this isn't something that people are just mentioning now. It's been brought up over the past several months that Hagg was likely to start giving up goals. He was giving up the most high danger chances on the team, but was benefiting from an extremely high save percentage. Once the save percentage normalized, those chances were going to result in goals against at a higher rate than his teammates. Sanheim had the opposite problem. He gave up fewer chances, but goalies couldn't buy a save on any of them.

Archived