Alexandre Burrows suspended 10 games for knee to head

yave1964

What the Hell was Burrows thinking?

In case you missed this one, a couple of nights ago in a game between the Devils and Senators an ugly situation occurred when Taylor Hall threw a hard but clean check into Burrows in the offensive zone and Burrows took exception and kept chasing Hall around cross checking Hall for no good reason as Hall was trying to continue, you know, playing Hockey. After the whistle Burrows tried to plead his case to the ref which fell ondeaf ears as you know, the check is still (barely) part of the game.

Anyway when all else failed he went after Hall, not dropping his gloves to fight but just attacking him, wrestled him to the ground, punching him with gloves in the back of the head and even after an official dove into the pile Burrows kneed Hall several times hard in the back of the head driving his head into the ice. 

Burrows was suspended in 2014 for a late hit on Alex Emelin his only other suspension, although he has always been known as a hard working gritty player who plays on the edge. He also 

bit Patrice Bergeron in the finals in 2011 and somehow did not come out of that with a suspension. Hard to believe that wasonly seven years ago, nowadays that would have gotten him some serious time.

Burrows was an undrafted kid who was CUT by three separate ECHL teams before getting a chance in Vancouver and has had a 13 year career as a feisty player who can score a little who has earned everything he has gotten. He earned his ten game suspension as well.

26 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Nice read  @yave1964.  

I was wondering what was his beef against Hall as this gave me the impression that Burrows was on a mission to injure for something that happened in the past?

I kinda was wondering the same thing, I know they played for Edmonton/Vancouver and have met countless times before but I couldn't find anything. Not sure what in the world happened with Burrows who has long been known for playing on the edge, kind of a poor mans James Neal, a little cleaner than Matt Cooke but not much. Hall said "He punched me in the back of the head like ten times. He kind of lost his mind." I like the rough stuff in the game but this insane retaliation for clean hard hits has simply gotten out of hand.

@hf101

@yave1964

You guys are looking WAY too deep into this....

IMO, Taylor Hall put a big, clean (and embarrassing hit) on Alex Burrows...the ol rat couldn't stand the 'humiliation' of someone daring to make contact with his sorry arse (not to mention it highlighted the fact Burrows wasn't fully paying attention), and went after Hall for it.

Your classic "wanna fight after a big hit" syndrome, Yave, in its full glory.

Cept this time, the guy on the receiving end wasn't even man enough to challenge Hall straight up.

When penalized for going after Hall, Burrows acted all indignant (really, like he couldn't believe it) and went after Hall again, looking like a man who was going to get every bit he could since he was "getting called anyways".

Simply a case of Burrows losing it, for no other reason than Hall laid him out.

LOTS of long time division rivals trade 'pleasantries' over the years, even after they've been traded to other teams....but they don't all act like a complete fool like this guy Burrows.

Just about every former player I've heard say something on this seemed to agree Burrows was in the wrong and that there is no place for his behavior (and NONE mentioned any past reason for it either...not that there should be any real reason), and all agreed the 10-gamer he got was about right.

I realized the Ottawa Senators are a traveling dumpster fire these days with nothing to look forward to but the end of the season come April, and a guy like Burrows would rather be in the excitement of a playoff chase, but this behavior indicates that even after all this time of 'good behavior', much like Brad Marchand with his earlier suspension, it is very hard for a Rat to be anything but.

Good riddance to Burrows.

I honestly hope the Sens decide to 'save money' and buy out the remaining 2.5M on his contract for next season so NONE of us has to see him suit up and take to the ice again after 2017-18.

Archived