Flyers trade deadline: Do we need a goalie?

Just now, AJgoal said:

Ward

Johnson

Halak

are the guys that make the most sense going forward. There's not a ton available out there. Those guys are at least UFAs after the season. 

There is no chance imo that Carolina trades Ward this season.  That team has been clawing it's way to a financially much-needed playoff run led by Cam Ward.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

What about Raanta? I don't think we'd have to give up that much for him, do you?

I do.  He's actually had a very good year statistically and is recently getting rewarded with a good W-L  (6-2 in last 8 I think).   They're doing fine in goal.  They need to work on team defense.

If we could get him for not much, though, I'm game.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Actually, I think the Flyers would have to give up more to Arizona for Raanta than Mrazek from Detroit.  They gave up the 7th pick of last years draft for Stephan and Raanta with hopes to make Raanta the #1 netminder.  Although the season didn't get off to the start the Yotes wanted Raanta and his team have been playing much better of late.

I don't want either of Detroit's goalies, with deepest apologies to yave. 

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

There is no chance imo that Carolina trades Ward this season.  That team has been clawing it's way to a financially much-needed playoff run led by Cam Ward.

I agree especially with the kid they signed from the Blackhawks (i forget his name) being up and down this season.

38 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

If this injury is long-term or season ending, I give it less than 50-50 that Neuvy is back next year.  He is too inconsistent and brittle to take up a slot. 

Myself i think they will find someone else after the season anyways season ending or not just for the same reasons you mentioned....Elliott ain't getting any younger qnd the most games in a season was 55 so he will need a backup for 25-30 games....any Neuvy is just not reliable.

I wonder if we see a Carter Hart recalled due to emergency conditions.

If Tokarski has to be called up he will be subject to waivers to be sent back down.

I might go this route before being forced to make a trade.

13 hours ago, hf101 said:

I went back and forth on including him, but I don't think Carolina makes the playoffs. You're probably right though, they're too close a week out to be sellers.

Hart isn't under contract, and they'd need to lose a third goalie to injury before they could call him up from juniors.

Since it is an emergency situation, Tokarski would not be subject to waivers when returned to the AHL, but he must be returned immediately upon Elliott or Neuvirth being cleared to return.

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wonder if we see a Carter Hart recalled due to emergency conditions.

I can't see it. Hart is having a banner year for one thing, and he's far far too young. It would be a mistake, and Hex of all people seems extremely unlikely to make such a mistake.

I can see Tokarski getting a look. Really, who cares if he's lost to waivers on the way back down? It's not like he'll be around after this season anyway, and I have serious doubts he would generate any trade interest. 

The sad part of all this for me is that next season is likely going to be remarkably similar with regards to our goalie situation. Really, Hex should have claimed one of the waiver goalies imo, unless he has something bigger in the works (he might).

On 2/16/2018 at 3:48 PM, aziz said:

enter a valid excuse:  i watched the highlights, and imo his issues looked like simple nerves to me.  a goalie playing well and confidently is reading plays and anticipating, on the balls of his feet and kind of "pre-acting™".  he is literally ahead of the game in front of him.  a goalie that is struggling, especially with a nerves kind of issue, is guessing and reacting.  he is playing catch-up, and the most noticeable symptom there is bad positioning.  a good stance, stumbling/frantic movement (goalie pads and skates are not the most forgiving things when you are freaking out), and distinctly bad positioning are the hallmarks of a guy that is NOT comfortable and is fighting his own read of what he sees in front of him.  

i think ice hockey goalie is a far more zen position than people who haven't played the position know.  training, technique, flexibility, reaction times, etc are all really important.  what determines if a goalie is going to get the job done on a given night, though, comes down to whether or not he is "feeling" it.  like, actually feeling the game, knowing on a subconscious level what will happen over the next 3 seconds.  your brain keeps track of every opposing player, you have a list of the puck carrier's possible passing options, notice defensive lapses as they happen and adjust to cover.  on a really good night, you'll even keep a mental status of where opposing players are looking at any given moment, what their capabilities/options would be if they received the puck right now.  you're prepared for everything and surprised by nothing and pucks keep hitting you in the chest.  on the other hand, not feeling it, none of that information is available, the patterns in front of you are unfathomable.  the only thing you can do is guess and play catch-up, nothing is going to be routine or easy and everything is going to go around you.  the game either talks to you and you get ahead of it, or it doesn't and you don't and you're gonna have a bad night.

anyway, that's what his outings looked like to me.  i don't know a thing about the guy, no idea if he's worth more time/effort or not.  those two games, though, looked very much a guy that was completely freaked out, not a guy that didn't know how to play the position.  a few weeks of NHL practice and i don't see anything that ensures his next outing will be as bad.  if he gets another.  not that he should, but I don't think he shouldn't.  :)

Lyon played much better in relief yesterday.  I wanted to make sure I said that out loud. 

Lehtera too and not just because he scored.  He was really going to the net and making things happen all game. 

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Throwing-Alex-To-The-Lions/6/91081

From the Buffalo blogger. Musings on Lyon, Lehner, Kane.

The whole post is interesting actually. Like, why is Vancouver looking to be BUYERS at the deadline? I’d be pissed if Ron were a buyer in the same situation. And why isn’t he looking to sell the Sedins who are UFAs and maximize return??

Finally, he talks about the hit from Wood on the Devils. Hard to believe he wasn’t ejected or didn’t at least get a major.

I agree with Bre's post that timeframe will dictate a big part of this discussion.  If we have a few games, that suggests one strategy. A longer stint out means another. But...I still think this "event" reinforces a longer-term issue with Neuvy.  I think Hextall probably regrets signing him to a second year.  

My hope is to keep prospects and let the chips fall with our talent.  This position is pretty high risk.  The risk-return on trade doesn't make a helluva a lot of sense. 

44 minutes ago, brelic said:

Finally, he talks about the hit from Wood on the Devils. Hard to believe he wasn’t ejected or didn’t at least get a major.

that is a terrible hit.

I guess Miles is pretty good throwing hands, he opened Schuster up like a new supermarket.

That is a hit that has no place in the game. the puck is gone for an easy 1.5 count, Namestinkov's numbers are showing and Woods leaves his feet ? whiskey foxtrot tango ?  There is no "hockey' reason to not let up on that hit, sure, give him a little whack,  but trying to knock the guy into the future...?

Kid needs suspended. 

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

that is a terrible hit.

I guess Miles is pretty good throwing hands, he opened Schuster up like a new supermarket.

That is a hit that has no place in the game. the puck is gone for an easy 1.5 count, Namestinkov's numbers are showing and Woods leaves his feet ? whiskey foxtrot tango ?  There is no "hockey' reason to not let up on that hit, sure, give him a little whack,  but trying to knock the guy into the future...?

Kid needs suspended. 

He got 2 games for that. 

Archived