Flyers trade deadline: Do we need a goalie?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Ron doesn't trade a 3rd for this guy.

I know a lot of teams don't value 3rd round picks but Ron has found some talent with his late picks.

Bunnaman 4th

Lindblom 5th

Laczynski 6th

Strome 4th

Susko 4th

Vorobyev 4th

Sandstrom 3rd

Just to name a few so it isn't like those picks have no value and yes i know before anyone responds none of those guys have arrived yet....but it isn't like those picks have zero value they do....so Mrazek has value sure yet i don't think it is a 3rd.

I would maybe do a 4th or 5th for him. The main reason i don't know how much of a upgrade over Neuvy he could be.

And he qualifying offer (i could be wrong would have to be around what he is making someone correct me if i'm wrong please) and that is 4 mill per and that is almost twice what Elliott is making. 

Just throwing this out there since the Hawks have started a sell mode would you trade a 7th rounder for Patrick Sharp for some depth at LW??

Sure i know he isn't the younger version of him but at 36 he could be a nice cheap bottom 6 addition??

Thoughts?

18 hours ago, Pucked in the head said:

Did he say MASON?????? ARE YOU INSANE??  Hell No we don't want Mason back period. That's like season suicide! And I don't want to hear another Nick Foles fairy tale story, it'll never happen.   Bite your tongue man,lol

I'd have no problems with Mason coming back. Say what you want, but Mason put up real good numbers behind some horribly bad defenses here. Don't get me wrong, I like Brian Elliott and he's the type of goaltender young defenders need (someone who can direct traffic and coach from the back end as to where defenders should be), but don't ever dismiss the job Steve Mason did here. He did a fantastic job of what he was given to work with. It certainly didn't help that Haktard ran him into the ground last year and wouldn't give him a break. 

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'd have no problems with Mason coming back. Say what you want, but Mason put up real good numbers behind some horribly bad defenses here. Don't get me wrong, I like Brian Elliott and he's the type of goaltender young defenders need (someone who can direct traffic and coach from the back end as to where defenders should be), but don't ever dismiss the job Steve Mason did here. He did a fantastic job of what he was given to work with. It certainly didn't help that Haktard ran him into the ground last year and wouldn't give him a break. 

Frankly, if Mason had been willing to sign here for what eventually got stuck with in WNPG, Mason would be our goalie right now and we'd be talking about Elliott in Manitoba and Lyon probably would have been the backup all year and Sandstrom would have been with the phantoms.

Everyone in the Flyers front office knew about Neuvirth's issues, they had to sign someone and Neuvirth accepted the deal that was better for the organization.  

All that said, how beautiful would it be for Hextall to sign Mason to come be Lyon's backup?  If only Hak would play along.  

Here's the scenario we're faced with instead:  Flyers trade for goalie> Goalie plays okay > Neuvirth gets healthy> Lyon goes to Phantoms> Elliott gets healthy> Flyers have to waive someone and possibly lose him for the playoffs> Neuvirth and Elliott get hurt again in the first round.  

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just throwing this out there since the Hawks have started a sell mode would you trade a 7th rounder for Patrick Sharp for some depth at LW??

Sure i know he isn't the younger version of him but at 36 he could be a nice cheap bottom 6 addition??

Thoughts?

Does it get Weise back out of the lineup?

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope Ron doesn't trade a 3rd for this guy.

I know a lot of teams don't value 3rd round picks but Ron has found some talent with his late picks.

Bunnaman 4th

Lindblom 5th

Laczynski 6th

Strome 4th

Susko 4th

Vorobyev 4th

Sandstrom 3rd

Just to name a few so it isn't like those picks have no value and yes i know before anyone responds none of those guys have arrived yet....but it isn't like those picks have zero value they do....so Mrazek has value sure yet i don't think it is a 3rd.

I would maybe do a 4th or 5th for him. The main reason i don't know how much of a upgrade over Neuvy he could be.

And he qualifying offer (i could be wrong would have to be around what he is making someone correct me if i'm wrong please) and that is 4 mill per and that is almost twice what Elliott is making. 

Hextall's done enough with his picks in recent years and lucked out witht he 2nd overall... he's had good enough draft luck.  It would be karmically fair to unload a third rounder for the sake of making the playoffs.  

Even if Lyon plays like he did Sunday, they can't play him every damn game.  They'll have to be rolling with two non NHL caliber goalies.  Maybe Lyon holds it together and plays really solid... but if we know anything anymore it's that goalies need rests.  

Wonder if he could be a cheap RW option with Simmer out awhile.

Can't help it i have always like this guy back in the 90's i when i would play NHL on the PS2 i would always trade for him and put him on the Flyers.

Sure it's a reach...just thinking aloud....

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Can't help it i have always like this guy back in the 90's i when i would play NHL on the PS2 i would always trade for him and put him on the Flyers.

Always loved Iginla....no thanks.

8 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

No need to get any vet forwards, we have plenty of guys 'down on the farm,' who deserve a chance!!!!

Well you're only allowed 4 call ups after the trade deadline for the rest of the year so you need to conserve the incase injury pop up elsewhere.

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Iginla has to be one of my fav players of the past 25 years. I'm not saying we should sign him, but he is the very definition of a class act. I can't think of a cup-less player over that same period who deserves a cup win more than Iginla. He wouldn't get that with us this year anyway, but I hope he does get signed, and I hope whoever signs him finds a way to get his name on the prize (unless it's the Pens, then forget em). 

:IDunnoSmiley:

My hope here is that Lindblom proves he belongs, and becomes the Flyers "deadline acquisition." I just don't want to see him pushed out when Simmonds returns, I'd rather see him stick and force others down, strengthening the overall lineup.

There was a good point made that the Flyers forcing Detroit to hold half of Mrazek's salary, coupled with the move to activate Stolarz, might mean they're looking to add more (>$7mil in prorated space). They could have swallowed Mrazek's entire salary and given up a lower pick instead.

18 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

My hope here is that Lindblom proves he belongs, and becomes the Flyers "deadline acquisition." I just don't want to see him pushed out when Simmonds returns, I'd rather see him stick and force others down, strengthening the overall lineup.

I'm hoping he can steal a spot on the 2nd PP....it would help him stick if he can help get that thing going.

Archived