Flyers trade deadline: Do we need a goalie?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Pucked in the head said:

I personally wouldn't want raanta , is he better than our alternatives?  

Yes. He is. But I'm still not doing it. The cavalry is coming, we just need a bridge until then. 

9 hours ago, Pucked in the head said:

It seems they give up on them, trade them,then they thrive (Bobrovski) ring any bells

Really?

Name another goalie that the Flyers had and gave up on where he went on to thrive somewhere else

Look, we have Hart and Sandstrom coming.     We kept Neuvirth and brought in Elliott to be a bridge until then, probably with the thought that Stolarz could play insurance when Neurvirth lost two weeks for cutting himself shaving or changing the channel on the remote.

The problem is Stolarz injury because Lyon doesn't fill that role.  And I'm sure the front office is concerned about Neuvy shaving while watching TV.    

But getting Lehner is foolish.  I didn't like him in Ottawa, and I like him less in Buffalo.  I realize he has a clown car playing in front of him in Buffalo, but I don't trust him behind the 1976 Canadiens.

And Lundqvist?  Are people serioius?   That's going to be a King's ransom (initially an unintended pun, but now I kind of like it).  What assets do you want to give up for a 35 year old fading goalie?   Because the Rangers are going to want their trade partner to back up the truck.    You want to give up a first round pick?  A Sanheim?  Myers?  Konecny?  What?  No way I trade the beer guy for him.

Stick with the program.  Ride it out.   If you really need an insurance policy for the guy bleeding on his TV remote, contact Chicago when Crawford comes back and see what it would take to get Glass.  Or Sateri from Florida.   Something along those lines.

If Elliott goes down for an extended people, now you're shooting higher, but not until then.

• hf101 changed the title to Flyers trade deadline: Do we need a goalie?
19 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Look, we have Hart and Sandstrom coming.     We kept Neuvirth and brought in Elliott to be a bridge until then, probably with the thought that Stolarz could play insurance when Neurvirth lost two weeks for cutting himself shaving or changing the channel on the remote.

The problem is Stolarz injury because Lyon doesn't fill that role.  And I'm sure the front office is concerned about Neuvy shaving while watching TV.    

But getting Lehner is foolish.  I didn't like him in Ottawa, and I like him less in Buffalo.  I realize he has a clown car playing in front of him in Buffalo, but I don't trust him behind the 1976 Canadiens.

And Lundqvist?  Are people serioius?   That's going to be a King's ransom (initially an unintended pun, but now I kind of like it).  What assets do you want to give up for a 35 year old fading goalie?   Because the Rangers are going to want their trade partner to back up the truck.    You want to give up a first round pick?  A Sanheim?  Myers?  Konecny?  What?  No way I trade the beer guy for him.

Stick with the program.  Ride it out.   If you really need an insurance policy for the guy bleeding on his TV remote, contact Chicago when Crawford comes back and see what it would take to get Glass.  Or Sateri from Florida.   Something along those lines.

If Elliott goes down for an extended people, now you're shooting higher, but not until then.

I only liked your post cause I couldn't love it.

The Flyers are a borderline playoff team. Lehner or Lundquist are going to make us what? A borderline playoff team? Is that worth giving up assets for?  Trading for the sake of trading is just plain stupid. people have to forget the old way of "MUST MAKE DEADLINE DEALS"...it doesn't work about 98% of the time. Heck I'll still sell at the deadline if there's suckers who want to overpay.

34 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The Flyers are a borderline playoff team. Lehner or Lundquist are going to make us what? A borderline playoff team? Is that worth giving up assets for?  Trading for the sake of trading is just plain stupid. people have to forget the old way of "MUST MAKE DEADLINE DEALS"...it doesn't work about 98% of the time. Heck I'll still sell at the deadline if there's suckers who want to overpay.

Currently the team is in 6th place in the conference so in the team's vision they are much more than just "borderline".   If Elliot is injured where he really can't play significant time for the rest of the season and playoffs this team then is completely toast.  How can Hextall look his team in the eye and say ... "Sorry guys we've got too much in the cupboard for the team that will play in a few years to make a deal to keep you all in playoff contention this year"?  How can Hextall look at his season ticket holders and say... " We had a good run this year, we'll be there again in a few years"?

Hextall has to do his job to make the best deal possible to keep this team in the hunt for the playoffs keeping in mind he needs to keep the cupboard full.  We have a ton of talent in the system, probably too much as they all won't make this roster in the future.

If Elliot is out for any significant amount of time and can't really play as he has all season then yes this team needs a 3rd goalie NHL goalie.  Which means Hextall will need to give up likely a prospect and a 2nd round pick.  I think we have enough talent in our cupboard to make that type of trade for a rental goalie.  If the deal out there is better for a non-rental than he should make that deal, both Elliot and Neuvirth are tradeable in the off-season.

Just out of curiosity, why can’t we bring up Tokarski (I know Lyon has been recalled) and trade Neuvirth by the time Elliott comes back. Keep Tokarski and Elliott for the rest of the year. 

Not great, but won’t cost anything - in fact, we’ll gain an asset in the trade. I love Neuvirth’s skill, but he’s unreliable. Hextall has said as much. 

5 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Currently the team is in 6th place in the conference so in the team's vision they are much more than just "borderline".   If Elliot is injured where he really can't play significant time for the rest of the season and playoffs this team then is completely toast.  How can Hextall look his team in the eye and say ... "Sorry guys we've got too much in the cupboard for the team that will play in a few years to make a deal to keep you all in playoff contention this year"?  How can Hextall look at his season ticket holders and say... " We had a good run this year, we'll be there again in a few years"?

Hextall has to do his job to make the best deal possible to keep this team in the hunt for the playoffs keeping in mind he needs to keep the cupboard full.  We have a ton of talent in the system, probably too much as they all won't make this roster in the future.

If Elliot is out for any significant amount of time and can't really play as he has all season then yes this team needs a 3rd goalie NHL goalie.  Which means Hextall will need to give up likely a prospect and a 2nd round pick.  I think we have enough talent in our cupboard to make that type of trade for a rental goalie.  If the deal out there is better for a non-rental than he should make that deal, both Elliot and Neuvirth are tradeable in the off-season.

I don't.

If I'm Hextall, I bring up Lyons and run with Neuvirth for 20 or 25 minutes until he's hurt.   Then I'm on the phone with Chicago or Florida or Vegas, but I'm not giving up  more than a 2nd and I'm not giving up a prospect unless his name's Manning (who is no longer a prospect).

We're looking at much better things than a doomed run for a round in the playoffs--season ticket holder myopia be damned.   I'm not derailing that for a rent-a-bozo from Buffalo or a geriatric from NYC.  Or any of the other silliness suggested on this thread.

1 minute ago, brelic said:

Just out of curiosity, why can’t we bring up Tokarski (I know Lyon has been recalled) and trade Neuvirth by the time Elliott comes back. Keep Tokarski and Elliott for the rest of the year. 

Not great, but won’t cost anything - in fact, we’ll gain an asset in the trade. I love Neuvirth’s skill, but he’s unreliable. Hextall has said as much. 

I'm game.  The only problem is that Tokarski sucks.  Simply horrible.   But, it works if tossing away a playoff round this year is okay.  It is for me.

2 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

Why else did we get tokarski ? To ride the bench with the phantoms?

Well, he came free when they bought the toaster oven at Costco.   It was technically a separate deal, but we traded Leland Irving for him.  

I won't blame you if you ask, "who the hell is Leland Irving?"   Honestly, the toaster oven thing was a better story.

Archived