Flyers trade deadline: Do we need a goalie?

9 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

At least give him a shot he might surprise everyone! You just never know unless you try

Why do people say stuff like this?

"Eh, touch the hot stove.  Go ahead. You never know until you try."  

Toharski, in almost even playing time, has WORSE numbers on the Phantoms than Lyon does.   He's proven over and over again that he's NOT an NHL-caliber goalie, even as a backup.   The Ducks thought so much of him that they traded him for Leland fricken Irving.

"Surprise" everyone is not the word.   Surprise is winning the lottery without even buying a ticket.   Surprise is having a baby in a manger without having had sex.     This would be whatever is beyond that.

But, if he or Lyon can ride the pine while Elliot is out and Neuvy remains healthy, that's fine.   If it comes to depending upon either one to carry the load when (not if) Neuvy gets hurt, then that's disaster.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Currently the team is in 6th place in the conference so in the team's vision they are much more than just "borderline".   If Elliot is injured where he really can't play significant time for the rest of the season and playoffs this team then is completely toast.  How can Hextall look his team in the eye and say ... "Sorry guys we've got too much in the cupboard for the team that will play in a few years to make a deal to keep you all in playoff contention this year"?  How can Hextall look at his season ticket holders and say... " We had a good run this year, we'll be there again in a few years"?

Hextall has to do his job to make the best deal possible to keep this team in the hunt for the playoffs keeping in mind he needs to keep the cupboard full.  We have a ton of talent in the system, probably too much as they all won't make this roster in the future.

If Elliot is out for any significant amount of time and can't really play as he has all season then yes this team needs a 3rd goalie NHL goalie.  Which means Hextall will need to give up likely a prospect and a 2nd round pick.  I think we have enough talent in our cupboard to make that type of trade for a rental goalie.  If the deal out there is better for a non-rental than he should make that deal, both Elliot and Neuvirth are tradeable in the off-season.

I'm not Hextall, but I really believe he's not in the "rent a player" mindset. 

If you actually think your team is a contender, that's one thing. But trading futures for someone to help you win a playoff game or two seems pretty "old school Flyers" to me.

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't.

If I'm Hextall, I bring up Lyons and run with Neuvirth for 20 or 25 minutes until he's hurt.   Then I'm on the phone with Chicago or Florida or Vegas, but I'm not giving up  more than a 2nd and I'm not giving up a prospect unless his name's Manning (who is no longer a prospect).

We're looking at much better things than a doomed run for a round in the playoffs--season ticket holder myopia be damned.   I'm not derailing that for a rent-a-bozo from Buffalo or a geriatric from NYC.  Or any of the other silliness suggested on this thread.

Lyons has already shown he isn't ready for the NHL.  Alt, Leier, Vecchione, for starters I wouldn't really miss.

43 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Currently the team is in 6th place in the conference so in the team's vision they are much more than just "borderline".   If Elliot is injured where he really can't play significant time for the rest of the season and playoffs this team then is completely toast.  How can Hextall look his team in the eye and say ... "Sorry guys we've got too much in the cupboard for the team that will play in a few years to make a deal to keep you all in playoff contention this year"?  How can Hextall look at his season ticket holders and say... " We had a good run this year, we'll be there again in a few years"?

Hextall has to do his job to make the best deal possible to keep this team in the hunt for the playoffs keeping in mind he needs to keep the cupboard full.  We have a ton of talent in the system, probably too much as they all won't make this roster in the future.

If Elliot is out for any significant amount of time and can't really play as he has all season then yes this team needs a 3rd goalie NHL goalie.  Which means Hextall will need to give up likely a prospect and a 2nd round pick.  I think we have enough talent in our cupboard to make that type of trade for a rental goalie.  If the deal out there is better for a non-rental than he should make that deal, both Elliot and Neuvirth are tradeable in the off-season.

This seems like the most sensible post here regarding what to do about goalies and contention.

If I understand all this correctly, basically, Hextall SHOULD do all he can to try and get the team into the post season (because, even though I personally think they really AREN'T a playoff team, there they are sitting in a playoff spot), however, you also don't want Hextall to make a Holmgren type deal that helped put the Flyers in this situation years ago in the first place.

If that is so, then I can get on board with that if I were a Flyer fan.

Give a little from the "stock" to perhaps help push the team into the post season, but don't get nuts and go "all in" on a ridiculous short term solution (although, understandably, Hextall should NEVER admit to anyone that he really isn't going all in).

As for internal goalie options, look, I was one of the bigger Dustin Tokarski fans when he was in the Lightning organization. I thought he did pretty well whenever he did get a spot start,  and thought he might do well if given a chance elsewhere.

However, several teams later, and I have long since wondered if the problem wasn't that Tokarski wasn't being given a chance (though he WAS stuck behind Bishop, Vasilevskiy, AND Gudlevski on the Bolts' depth chart at the time), but more that the rumored "attitude problems" about him were true.

It was said he had a certain arrogance about him that made him uncoachable and that he had a hard time "letting go" when he had a bad outing...thus affecting his next one, etc.

Of course, I know nothing first hand of this, only stuff I read here and there from various sources on the internet....some reputable, some, not so much.

But the Lightning, Canadiens, Ducks, and now Flyers NOT wanting to play Tokarski? I don't think they can ALL be wrong about him.

Thus it seems, he really isn't NHL caliber...and probably from the looks of things, not even true AHL caliber.

As for Anthony Stolarz, I know he has had injury issues, but it doesn't seem to me that the Flyers are particularly high on him.

If that is the case, the next time he is able to play and shows ANY flash of brilliance, perhaps dealing him and getting a decent return is the best option.

In the meantime, Philly should just ride with the Elliot/Neuvirth combo, such as it is, and maybe pick up a relatively inexpensive third option (an NHL quality goalie at the very least...even if he isn't everyday starter material), if indeed, either Elliot or Neuvirth need IR time and the team isn't going to give Stolarz, Lyon, or Tokarski a shot.

Again, looking at it from Hextall's standpoint of "we are in a playoff spot and I have to give our fanbase every reason to care", the Flyers simply cannot afford to stick just anyone in goal, even if the rebuild is far from done.

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

In the meantime, Philly should just ride with the Elliot/Neuvirth combo, such as it is, and maybe pick up a relatively inexpensive third option (an NHL quality goalie at the very least...even if he isn't everyday starter material), if indeed, either Elliot or Neuvirth need IR time and the team isn't going to give Stolarz, Lyon, or Tokarski a shot.

Stolarz is still on the IR and hasn't played a game all season.  Lyon isn't NHL ready probably won't ever be and Tokarski isn't any good.

Realistically if Buffalo is looking to make a trade with Philly they are most likely dealing Johnson over Lehner at a cost much lower than most folks here are worried about.     

I still can't believe Hextall didn't make a move to pick up Subban when he was placed on waivers.  :bonkingheadonwall:

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

Stolarz is still on the IR and hasn't played a game all season.  Lyon isn't NHL ready probably won't ever be and Tokarski isn't any good.

Realistically if Buffalo is looking to make a trade with Philly they are most likely dealing Johnson over Lehner at a cost much lower than most folks here are worried about.     

I still can't believe Hextall didn't make a move to pick up Subban when he was placed on waivers.  :bonkingheadonwall:

If true, then Chad would make an excellent acquisition.

He checks lots of boxes:

--Inexpensive to acquire, check

--Low cap hit, uh huh.

--Short term solution, yep, yep.

--Reliable, if only in short bursts, you got it.

I've always liked Chad Johnson....as a back up.

It's when people get all crazy and think he is ready to be a starter is when I start dumping on the guy.

Let's face it, not everyone can be a starter and some guys can still carve out very nice livings as NHL backups.

Chad is one of those....and like you said, he shouldn't cost the Flyers much of their stock and he could come in and replace either Elliot or Neuvirth short term.

As for the Subban thing, honestly, LOTS of teams screwed that potential waiver claim up.

I was even hoping the Wild could somehow get their mitts on him....all apologies to Alex Stalock who is having a decent year for them.....because Subban backing up Dubnyk would have been sweeeeeet....and Subban could even be viewed, should everything go alright, as Duby's successor.

But anyways, Vegas has him now, they should NOT be trading him away anytime soon, and don't feel so bad.

Sure, Hextall probably should have put in a claim, but so should have a lot of other teams.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Lyons has already shown he isn't ready for the NHL.  Alt, Leier, Vecchione, for starters I wouldn't really miss.

Agreed.  And I would argue he's never going to be (Lyons).

I don't know whether or not I'd miss Vecchione.  Since I don't know, I guess you don't miss what you don't know.  Leier is a nice player, but agree.   Alt who?

But do any of those get you a goalie?   For example, since Lehner sounds like maybe it's in the works.   Does any one of those players and a 2nd rounder get you Lehner?   Or is Buffalo waiting to hit the home run?   Do you trade St. Louis' pick?   I don't.  Not for Lehner or any other goalie mentioned so far.  Certainly not for Lundqvist.    I wait another season and get a backup free agent over the summer if I need to.  I'm not trading anything for any of the goalies mentioned.  

16 minutes ago, hf101 said:

they are most likely dealing Johnson over Lehner at a cost much lower than most folks here are worried about.     

Sorry, missed this until I saw TFG's post.  

That would be more suitable and more along the lines of what we would need given short term and not wanting to spend alot.  And certainly a lot better than Lyon or Toharski.

I'd do it for a 4th or lower.   Otherwise, I ride it out and see what's available as a UFA over the summer.

46 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

This seems like the most sensible post here regarding what to do about goalies and contention.

Agree to disagree.

I don't think trading any assets to maybe win a playoff game or two is sensible.   And basing the argument on "what do you say to season ticket holders" is FAR from sensible.  I don't give a flying crap about STH or what to say to them.  How about "we're trying to build something here and we're not going to deviate to give some momentary release to impatient fans." Playoffs were icing on the cake for this year coming in.   Gutting or altering plans for the sake of a delusion is Holmgren-Clarkesque.  There's absolutely no reason to placate impatient delusional fans. 

Stick with the program; it's clearly getting there.

17 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If true, then Chad would make an excellent acquisition.

He checks lots of boxes:

--Inexpensive to acquire, check

--Low cap hit, uh huh.

--Short term solution, yep, yep.

--Reliable, if only in short bursts, you got it.

I've always liked Chad Johnson....as a back up.

It's when people get all crazy and think he is ready to be a starter is when I start dumping on the guy.

Let's face it, not everyone can be a starter and some guys can still carve out very nice livings as NHL backups.

Chad is one of those....and like you said, he shouldn't cost the Flyers much of their stock and he could come in and replace either Elliot or Neuvirth short term.

As for the Subban thing, honestly, LOTS of teams screwed that potential waiver claim up.

I was even hoping the Wild could somehow get their mitts on him....all apologies to Alex Stalock who is having a decent year for them.....because Subban backing up Dubnyk would have been sweeeeeet....and Subban could even be viewed, should everything go alright, as Duby's successor.

But anyways, Vegas has him now, they should NOT be trading him away anytime soon, and don't feel so bad.

Sure, Hextall probably should have put in a claim, but so should have a lot of other teams.

THIS is the most sensible post in the thread.

Archived