Flyers trade deadline: Do we need a goalie?

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

With Neuvy, there is no middlin performance. You get a game like tonight or you get a stink bomb. Then you overlay the injury proneness. I could understand a GM wanting someone else around if you believe making the playoffs is important to develop people. But what has to be given up to get someone?  Neuvy is an expensive backup; who'd want him?

I believe the need to add a goalie isn't to replace Neuvirth, but to add a NHLer who can give the team a chance to continue to win if Elliot is out for an extended length of time.  

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, they'd probably have to figure out the cap space.    But for a short term rental I kind of don't mind the idea.   I just don't buy the big move idea.  If he was really looking for a big move in goal, you would think he'd have done that instead of signing Elliott to begin with, right?     I think he still has to be in "bridge until Hart/Sandstrom" mode.

Cap space isn't going to be a problem. Flyers are just under 2.5 million under the cap. If Elliott is out long term, he goes on LTIR and his cap hit goes away, then one of the three goalies gets waived to Lehigh, saving 1.025 million. Not an issue. Even less so if he decides to move Filpulla.

EDIT: And that number includes Lyons' 850k. So they could add 3.2 million or so worth of goalie without any other moves. Not that they will/should.

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

I believe the need to add a goalie isn't to replace Neuvirth, but to add a NHLer who can give the team a chance to continue to win if Elliot is out for an extended length of time.  

I hope that is not the case but you make a good point. Meanwhile, Lyon might be viewed with suspicion though I thought he was far from the sole culprit in the goals allowed.  

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I could understand a GM wanting someone else around if you believe making the playoffs

Yes it is why i suggested Gillies in a trade he is (or was till last night's injury to Smith) in the AHL you could stash him in on the Phantoms with Lyon and discard Tokarski or trade him as i think Gillies would have been an upgrade over him....but is a moot point now Smith might be out a while after watching him roll around in pain last night and the Flames will need him. 

56 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes it is why i suggested Gillies in a trade he is (or was till last night's injury to Smith) in the AHL you could stash him in on the Phantoms with Lyon and discard Tokarski or trade him as i think Gillies would have been an upgrade over him....but is a moot point now Smith might be out a while after watching him roll around in pain last night and the Flames will need him. 

I can see going out to get a promising prospect who may be ready for the show in at least a back up situation. I still wouldn't give much up for one though. I feel like every time I think about who I would trade for such a goalie, I end with a list of players I highly doubt any team would really want. At the very least, I just don't think many teams will be trading promising goalie prospects for any of them.

6 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I can see going out to get a promising prospect who may be ready for the show in at least a back up situation. I still wouldn't give much up for one though. I feel like every time I think about who I would trade for such a goalie, I end with a list of players I highly doubt any team would really want. At the very least, I just don't think many teams will be trading promising goalie prospects for any of them.

Yes i also must say the Rangers Michael Grabner peaks my interest....but i would not give up much for him....especially to help the Rags.

On 2/10/2018 at 11:29 PM, Pucked in the head said:

Curious to see who you all think would be the best fit for our boys? Or who you all would like to see in a Flyers jersey?

Brian Elliott... just healthy.

So back to reality, I don't think it needs to be anyone special. 

They could go for a Rental of Bernier from the Avs... even though I swore this time last year they should NEVER EVER acquire him.  But for a backup for a playoff run... sure why not.PRoblem is that the AVs are now close enough to the Wild Card to want to give up their backup.

Maybe a rental of Mrazek or Lehtonen might even get the job done and only if those teams are willing to trade for like Manning and a bucket of used mouth guards.  

9 minutes ago, King Knut said:

only if those teams are willing to trade for like Manning and a bucket of used mouth guards.  

I feel like this is the obvious elephant in the room when talking about any such trade... It's fun to talk about and all, but realistically...

That said, Hex has pulled some pretty amazing trades out of his pads. Who knows?

If they are not in the PO hunt, then I don't think Hextall should (or would) trade for a goalie at the deadline.  Not when Elliott and Neuvirth are signed another year.

If they are in the PO hunt, then things get a little tricky.  In that scenario, if Elliott and/or Neuvirth are hurt (or even worn down), then I think Hextall will (and should) try to find a veteran goalie for a low price (e.g., a draft pick) at the deadline.  

As pointed out already, a guy like Chad Johnson or maybe Cam Ward might make sense.  Other than that, there does not seem to be a lot out there that makes sense, unless it's part of a larger deal for a better goalie with some term.  Don't think they could pry Bernier away from Colorado and would probably have to give up a roster player to do so.

Who else is in the goalie market?  Calgary? Chicago?

31 minutes ago, elmatus said:

We have three of these in the system.  One will be a starter.  I see no reason to give up anything for any sort of prospect.  Stolarz is just hurt this year and it's screwing everything up.  It should have been him, but even if it wasn't, Sandstrom would be here playing in the AHL all year and available for callup, but he chose to stay in Sweden specifically because Stolarz and Lyon "clearly" had the AHL jobs locked up and staying in Sweden to get the minutes made more sense.  

In hindsight, Hextall shouldn't have unloaded Madsen?  

1 minute ago, vis said:

If they are not in the PO hunt, then I don't think Hextall should (or would) trade for a goalie at the deadline.  Not when Elliott and Neuvirth are signed another year.

If they are in the PO hunt, then things get a little tricky.  In that scenario, if Elliott and/or Neuvirth are hurt (or even worn down), then I think Hextall will (and should) try to find a veteran goalie for a low price (e.g., a draft pick) at the deadline.  

As pointed out already, a guy like Chad Johnson or maybe Cam Ward might make sense.  Other than that, there does not seem to be a lot out there that makes sense, unless it's part of a larger deal for a better goalie with some term.  Don't think they could pry Bernier away from Colorado and would probably have to give up a roster player to do so.

Who else is in the goalie market?  Calgary? Chicago?

If Elliott needs surgery, then they absolutely need to trade for a goalie.  

They are in the playoff hunt and they way things are going, the only way it looks like they'll fall out of it is if Lyon has to play a lot.  

It's either trade Manning, Weise, or someone like that for a late round pick in order to get a meh rental goalie like Bernier or maybe even Cam Ward if the canes are out of contention in a few weeks, or literally just say goodbye to the playoffs--which I think would be a poor move.

The Flyers can afford to part with a 4th round pick.  THey can probably afford to part with a 3rd round pick.

I personally believe it's very important for the development of guys like TK, Provo, Patrick, Hagg and probably Sanheim to see some playoff time this year.  I think it's also incredibly important to remind guys like Jake and G and Simmer and Coots what it's like so they're all ready to scratch and claw their way through year in and year out for a while to come.

Let's see what's going on with Elliott and what the Prognosis is.  Frankly, if he was going to get hurt, this was the time to do it.  

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Cap space isn't going to be a problem. Flyers are just under 2.5 million under the cap. If Elliott is out long term, he goes on LTIR and his cap hit goes away, then one of the three goalies gets waived to Lehigh, saving 1.025 million. Not an issue. Even less so if he decides to move Filpulla.

EDIT: And that number includes Lyons' 850k. So they could add 3.2 million or so worth of goalie without any other moves. Not that they will/should.

Isn't it prorated for the remainder of the season anyway?

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

The Flyers can afford to part with a 4th round pick.  THey can probably afford to part with a 3rd round pick.

I personally believe it's very important for the development of guys like TK, Provo, Patrick, Hagg and probably Sanheim to see some playoff time this year.  I think it's also incredibly important to remind guys like Jake and G and Simmer and Coots what it's like so they're all ready to scratch and claw their way through year in and year out for a while to come.

Agree.  If they are in contention and the goaltenders are a question mark, they should make a reasonable move to provide some stability.

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Isn't it prorated for the remainder of the season anyway?

Yes, and the Flyers have been banking space for most of the season, so they actually probably have more.

31 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I feel like this is the obvious elephant in the room when talking about any such trade... It's fun to talk about and all, but realistically...

That said, Hex has pulled some pretty amazing trades out of his pads. Who knows?

Let's face it... Sakic is further away than Hextall in both the standings and the rebuild.  Even if he's closer than he was when Duchene was still on his team.  There really isn't a TON of reason for him or a team like the AVs not to dish their overpriced backup if their starter is healthy.  

With Neuvy playing as well as he did this weekend, you hate to trade him now, but him alone gets any of these teams a decent backup for next season in exchange for a guy they don't particularly need.  

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Let's face it... Sakic is further away than Hextall in both the standings and the rebuild.  Even if he's closer than he was when Duchene was still on his team.  There really isn't a TON of reason for him or a team like the AVs not to dish their overpriced backup if their starter is healthy.  

With Neuvy playing as well as he did this weekend, you hate to trade him now, but him alone gets any of these teams a decent backup for next season in exchange for a guy they don't particularly need.  

Or, depending on Smith's status, you might be able to get a decent return from Calgary.

22 minutes ago, King Knut said:

We have three of these in the system.  One will be a starter.  I see no reason to give up anything for any sort of prospect.  Stolarz is just hurt this year and it's screwing everything up.  It should have been him, but even if it wasn't, Sandstrom would be here playing in the AHL all year and available for callup, but he chose to stay in Sweden specifically because Stolarz and Lyon "clearly" had the AHL jobs locked up and staying in Sweden to get the minutes made more sense.  

In hindsight, Hextall shouldn't have unloaded Madsen?  

As exciting as they are, they are complete unknowns. They may or may not pan out. So if there's an NHL-ready prospect who doesn't cost much, what's the harm? If Hart and Sandstrom are so good, the cream will rise to the top. 

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Or, depending on Smith's status, you might be able to get a decent return from Calgary.

You think they'd turn the reins over to Rittich?  

Not doubting you, I'm just not following what they've been doing.  Smith's been decent and has played the overwhelming majority and the team is in playoff position now.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

You think they'd turn the reins over to Rittich?  

Not doubting you, I'm just not following what they've been doing.  Smith's been decent and has played the overwhelming majority and the team is in playoff position now.  

Smith's injured. Not sure how badly. If it's his groin, even if it isn't bad, it could linger at his age. If so, they may want a guy who has been a starter in the league to hold them down while he heals.

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

As exciting as they are, they are complete unknowns. They may or may not pan out. So if there's an NHL-ready prospect who doesn't cost much, what's the harm?

The harm is in what it would cost Hextall in terms of picks or prospects.

If another team out there has an NHL ready prospect, they're not trading him for Michael Neuvirth and Brandon Manning.  

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

If Hart and Sandstrom are so good, the cream will rise to the top. 

Sure... I don't care who the good goalie of the future is, as long as he's good.  The reason I don't worry too much about a prospect is because you have to hedge your bets a little bit as a GM.   If you're a farmer and you've got two Cows that look like they're growing up to give a boatload of milk, I don't trade away all my chickens for a third.  I'm going to need chickens too.  

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Smith's injured. Not sure how badly. If it's his groin, even if it isn't bad, it could linger at his age. If so, they may want a guy who has been a starter in the league to hold them down while he heals.

Right, I saw he went down making a pointless save at the end of the game...  How does trading for an injured player help us in this situation where we're trying to fill the hole left by an injured player?

Just now, King Knut said:

Right, I saw he went down making a pointless save at the end of the game...  How does trading for an injured player help us in this situation where we're trying to fill the hole left by an injured player?

Heh? Where did I suggest acquiring Smith? My suggestion is to get assets from Calgary for Neuvirth to help Calgary bridge until Smith comes back. Smith makes zero sense for the Flyers.

2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Heh? Where did I suggest acquiring Smith? My suggestion is to get assets from Calgary for Neuvirth to help Calgary bridge until Smith comes back. Smith makes zero sense for the Flyers.

Sorry I just read your initial post wrong.  You meant they might be desperate enough to send us something nice for Neuvy?   Which would be cool!  Just doesn't solve the whole problem of Elliott being hurt.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Sorry I just read your initial post wrong.  You meant they might be desperate enough to send us something nice for Neuvy?   Which would be cool!  Just doesn't solve the whole problem of Elliott being hurt.  

Right. All dependent on Elliott's status, of course. You could potentially target a return like Gillies + 2nd or 3rd, though I'm not sure Gillies is any better than Lyons. Numbers are similar in the AHL.

Archived