Flyers trade deadline: Do we need a goalie?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If i'm Ron i would be on the phone to Flyer West to talk to Rob Blake to see about swapping Neuvy and something cheap for Darcy Kuemper. He is a UFA and i think would a upgrade over Nuvy for sure.

Darcy's numbers: 9-1-0-3 2.04 gaa 934%

Pretty good i say.

Then if he plays well maybe you can sign him for next year to tandem with Elliott.

Thoughts???

Interesting comment by Hextall:

Oh, okay I thought you said every coach. That’s pretty much how it works. When you look at the wear and tear on a player, especially a goalie, goalies get a lot of wear and tear at practice, so games are a high level, but 25 shots, 30 shots. They get a lot more of that in practice, so it’s more for me, whether a goalie is a mental fatigue, then there’s the physical fatigue in games because practices are much more demanding than games over the course of the year. Sometimes with a goalie, or even a player, sometimes you cut a guy’s practice short, he doesn’t come out early, he doesn’t stay out late, its more managing those types of things when you’re managing the work load. To me, its more the number of games for a goalie is more the mental thing. You gotta manage games, you gotta manage practices well.

Ok so is Hak Chip Kelly now killing guys in practice they can't perform in games???

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Pretty good i say.

Might be worth a call. Not sure why the Kings would move him though. I'm also not sure he gets those numbers without the Kings high possession system. Still you're right in that it could be worth a call for kicks.

Interesting comment by Hextall:

Oh, okay I thought you said every coach. That’s pretty much how it works. When you look at the wear and tear on a player, especially a goalie, goalies get a lot of wear and tear at practice, so games are a high level, but 25 shots, 30 shots. They get a lot more of that in practice, so it’s more for me, whether a goalie is a mental fatigue, then there’s the physical fatigue in games because practices are much more demanding than games over the course of the year. Sometimes with a goalie, or even a player, sometimes you cut a guy’s practice short, he doesn’t come out early, he doesn’t stay out late, its more managing those types of things when you’re managing the work load. To me, its more the number of games for a goalie is more the mental thing. You gotta manage games, you gotta manage practices well.

Ok so is Hak Chip Kelly now killing guys in practice they can't perform in games???

This is interesting. 

And this is something Hextall can do something about.  NFL teams have practice Squads for exactly this reason.  

Why can't the Flyers at least have a practice pair of goalies to keep their old and fragile ones in one piece for games. 

If anyone would know, it's Hexy

If i'm Ron i would be on the phone to Flyer West to talk to Rob Blake to see about swapping Neuvy and something cheap for Darcy Kuemper. He is a UFA and i think would a upgrade over Nuvy for sure.

Pretty good i say.

Then if he plays well maybe you can sign him for next year to tandem with Elliott.

Thoughts???

Kings are going all in for the Playoffs now that they acquired Phaneuf.  

They believe they still have some time in this squad's window.  After losing Quick for most of last year, I really don't know if they're going to deal their backup, UFA or not.  It's a huge gamble given what everyone and their uncle knows about Neuvy's history with injuries.  It's a nice thought and I'd do it in a heartbeat probably...  but I'm not sure the Kings would.  

If anything, I'd be focusing on Sakic and the Avalanche and Bernier.  

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Raanta would be my choice but for the price Chad Johnson will be more like the option...

Raanta would be great, but they consider him their starter, so they'd probably want more than just Neuvirth.

I wouldn't go near Johnson with a 10ft. pole right now.

Anders Nilsson is actually the guy I wanted Hextall to go for in the off season before he snagged Elliott (I thought Elliott would have fetched a bigger deal).  He's still under contract for another year (very similar to Neuvy) but still considered a backup (though it's much more of a tandem in Vancouver apparently).  If they're giving up assets and Neuvy for a goalie, I wouldn't mind checking out if he'd cost less (a later pick maybe?). 

Vancouver isn't making the playoffs this year and they clearly don't intend to keep him long term.  All in all I think depending on who he goes for Hextall needs to be thinking of moving Neuvirth and probably up to a 3rd round pick.  

34 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I wouldn't go near Johnson with a 10ft. pole right now.

My guy tells me this the guy Ron gets for 2 reasons he is the cheapest.

And familiarity...Ron has already chose him once.

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

That doesn't make him not terrible.  

I don't think he is terrible. He is on a terrible team sure.

Regardless he will be a backup to Neuvy and won't cost much to acquire.

I want no part of trading Sanheim and any other young prospect for some magic beans.

Just ride it out and whatever happens will just happen they make it cool...they don't cool this was a marginal playoff team to start with.

Live for next year.

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think he is terrible. He is on a terrible team sure.

Regardless he will be a backup to Neuvy and won't cost much to acquire.

I want no part of trading Sanheim and any other young prospect for some magic beans.

Just ride it out and whatever happens will just happen they make it cool...they don't cool this was a marginal playoff team to start with.

Live for next year.

Others goalies have done much better on that terrible team.  

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind is talking about trading Sanheim or any real actual prospect for a rental backup goalie.  

I'm willing to deal up to a third (depending on who you guy - aka Nilsson is a Neuvy replacement once Elliott's healthy someday so he may be worth more)in order to keep this team in playoff position and give them a shot when they get there.

it would be tragic for this team to miss the playoffs at this point because they have three injured goalies.  Deja Vu all over again ain't cutting it this time.  

Stimmer and Stellick had Tim Saunders on Sirius this morning. He felt our GM would not make any moves but acknowledged this is dicey with Neuvirth's injury proneness. Saunder inferred  Lyon is a last resort, not a backup. 

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Stimmer and Stellick had Tim Saunders on Sirius this morning. He felt our GM would not make any moves but acknowledged this is dicey with Neuvirth's injury proneness. Saunder inferred  Lyon is a last resort, not a backup. 

Lyon has proved he isn't an option.

There isnt' any quesiton that Hextall needs to find a goalie. 

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

Lyon has proved he isn't an option.

Well to be fair to the kid it was two games.

There have been many who haven't exactly lit it up there first two games. So i hope he could help.

And yeah i know his last two outings haven't encouraged anyone i get it but Nick Foles didn't exactly inspire either in his 1st two start this past season either....and he was a vet....so we could cross our fingers and pray his nerves played a huge part...but i can see Hextall making a minor move to shore that up.

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

Either Hextall just claimed him or the window has passed.  

He didn't claim either Sateri or Glass either he has another guy in mind or he is not doing anything....because claiming one of those two would have been the easiest moves he could of made all year at not cost to your team. Strange.

Why does my gut make me have the feeling when/if he does something it won't be just for a goalie it will be a couple players type move.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well to be fair to the kid it was two games.

There have been many who haven't exactly lit it up there first two games. So i hope he could help.

And yeah i know his last two outings haven't encouraged anyone i get it but Nick Foles didn't exactly inspire either in his 1st two start this past season either....and he was a vet....so we could cross our fingers and pray his nerves played a huge part...but i can see Hextall making a minor move to shore that up.

If he simply hadn't lit it up I wouldn't be worried.  He was fundamentally out of his league.  He looked like a high school kid or a men's leaguer with decent reflexes who had never been coached in any way.

Nick Foles was actually quite good when he first stepped in to relieve Mike Vick all those years ago.  He demonstrated almost all of what we saw in the playoffs and super bowl with the possible exeption of the precision long ball.  People forget that.  

There were many of us  who thought trading him was silly.  Not that I thought he'd be nearly as good as he was this year, but I always liked his game.  

Lyon looked to have some very serious fundamental issues with the position.  I honestly don't know how he made it to the AHL based on what I saw.  He had no comprehension of where the net was and where he as positioned.  Any shooter with a half decent moment to aim was going to score in those games.  He wasn't an NHL goalie.  Period.  

Until I hear some excuse like he was high on cocaine or windex or something, I'm not buying it at all.  He looked to have very quick reflexes, but he was fundamentally unsound in the position in a way that can't survive in the NHL.

Elliott is kinda fundamentally unsound, but somehow hoe makes it work because he knows where he is in relation to the net and he knows when to move on the save.  Lyon... they just can't afford to give him the time he needs even if they think he can iron it out.  

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He didn't claim either Sateri or Glass either he has another guy in mind or he is not doing anything....because claiming one of those two would have been the easiest moves he could of made all year at not cost to your team. Strange.

Why does my gut make me have the feeling when/if he does something it won't be just for a goalie it will be a couple players type move.

If your gut is thinking those couple of players may include Filppula, Lehtera and or Wieise and maybe Manning, i'm all on board and I'll even bring the beer.  

Archived