Flyers trade deadline: Do we need a goalie?

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

My thoughts? I guess if you are willing to take Mrazek off our hands we could give you our third round pick to do so...:VeryCool:

Truth is a few years ago for half a season Mrazek was actually being considered for the Vezina and then on his birthday (Valentines day of all days) he was CLEARLY hungover, Marchand scored six seconds into the game, it was sloppy, ugly, the Wings won 6-5. On at least two of the goals Mrazek didn't even move. The postgame interview with Osgood after the matinee game he even joked about tipping a few back the night before might not have been a good idea. I along with everyone else thought it was a fluke bad game by a young goalie who had tied one on the night before. Instead it was as if overnight he simply forgot how to play in net at the same level as previous.

Over the next two years he has been dreadful most of the time with an occasional great game.  Few if any good ones, it is either awful (usually) or great (occasionally). For a year and a half Jimmy Howard has outplayed him at every turn in spite of the Wings trying to hand him the jobMrazek takes one step forward ten steps back. Very frustrating because when he brings it (as he did last night against Nashville) he is solid as can be. I rooted for him, I no longer trust him when he is in net. Take him off our hands, please!

Maybe Mrazek just needs a new environment?

Anyway if substance abuse is the issue here why hasn't he gotten the help he needs?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@aziz

thanks for that post.

Young Alex Lyon has been proving you right so far.  He looks like a different guy, he's been quick and solid, if not for the puck hitting a broken stick in the crease he might be pitching a shutout at the moment.

At any rate,  it seems as though he has made an adjustment, he looks comfortable in MSG if ever there was a place where a guy can go to **** the bed for the Flyers it's that house of horrors.

On 2/16/2018 at 3:48 PM, aziz said:

enter a valid excuse:  i watched the highlights, and imo his issues looked like simple nerves to me.  a goalie playing well and confidently is reading plays and anticipating, on the balls of his feet and kind of "pre-acting™".  he is literally ahead of the game in front of him.  a goalie that is struggling, especially with a nerves kind of issue, is guessing and reacting.  he is playing catch-up, and the most noticeable symptom there is bad positioning.  a good stance, stumbling/frantic movement (goalie pads and skates are not the most forgiving things when you are freaking out), and distinctly bad positioning are the hallmarks of a guy that is NOT comfortable and is fighting his own read of what he sees in front of him.  

i think ice hockey goalie is a far more zen position than people who haven't played the position know.  training, technique, flexibility, reaction times, etc are all really important.  what determines if a goalie is going to get the job done on a given night, though, comes down to whether or not he is "feeling" it.  like, actually feeling the game, knowing on a subconscious level what will happen over the next 3 seconds.  your brain keeps track of every opposing player, you have a list of the puck carrier's possible passing options, notice defensive lapses as they happen and adjust to cover.  on a really good night, you'll even keep a mental status of where opposing players are looking at any given moment, what their capabilities/options would be if they received the puck right now.  you're prepared for everything and surprised by nothing and pucks keep hitting you in the chest.  on the other hand, not feeling it, none of that information is available, the patterns in front of you are unfathomable.  the only thing you can do is guess and play catch-up, nothing is going to be routine or easy and everything is going to go around you.  the game either talks to you and you get ahead of it, or it doesn't and you don't and you're gonna have a bad night.

anyway, that's what his outings looked like to me.  i don't know a thing about the guy, no idea if he's worth more time/effort or not.  those two games, though, looked very much a guy that was completely freaked out, not a guy that didn't know how to play the position.  a few weeks of NHL practice and i don't see anything that ensures his next outing will be as bad.  if he gets another.  not that he should, but I don't think he shouldn't.  :)

That's terrific and all and he's been okay today, but none of that overcomes the fact he's been horrible in Lehigh. 

He's not an NHL goalie. That doesn't mean he can't play over his head for one game or even a stretch of games.  But ultimately he's Neil Little part deux. 

10 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

Does this force hextall's hand, neuvy going down too?

It does.

Neuvirth is probably going to be out an extended period of time. While the Flyers have a soft stretch of games coming up, you just don't know what you're going to get from Lyon. Could he be lights out like he was today? Absolutely. However, he could also bomb like he did during his first call up. With the club so close to securing playoff contention, the last thing that Hextall will want to do is piss it away by not getting something to back up Lyon.

With that being said, he's not exactly bent over a barrel either to get a goaltender. I've read a few places that the asking price for Mrazek was a 3rd and now it's going up. Not really. There's other goalies that will be available for Hextall to choose from. We can all forget about Niemi because he's god awful. There's also no way Hextall gives up a high choice for a guy like Lehner, who might not even be qualified when the season is over.

So who does that leave? Well, there's a number of goalies that could be had for very little. There will be the usual suspects like Chad Johnson, but don't forget about guys that are buried in other places and teams that are near the contract max. For instance, a guy like Calvin Pickard in Toronto could probably be had for future considerations as that frees up a contract slot for Toronto (who only have one contract slot available). There's also guys like Harri Sateri in Florida (who is behind Luongo and Reimer on the depth chart) or Niklas Svedberg in Minnesota (stuck behind Dubnyk and Stalock). Don't forget that there are guys like Lehtonen in Dallas or Mason in Winnipeg that their respective clubs might be willing to retain salary to move them.

I don't think all is lost or the Flyers are bent over a barrel. One of the other things going for the Flyers is that they've got something like $10 million in available cap space, so they can really open up shop. They're in a good spot going into the deadline and while teams might try to strong arm them, teams also know that there will be clubs with cap and contract issues that will call and will probably offer something very sweet for them. As much as Hextall gets heat for being too conservative with regards to his handling of prospects, he's also very shrewd with his team and cap management. I expect the Flyers to come away with something nice for the goaltending at a not incredibly expensive price.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

That's terrific and all and he's been okay today, but none of that overcomes the fact he's been horrible in Lehigh.

He has been damn good since he was sent back....and that blueline has dealt with injuries all season and still are though.

And they still have ECHL guys plays in the lineup down there. Take it all with a grain of salt.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And they still have ECHL guys plays in the lineup down there. Take it all with a grain of salt.

I'm going to a Reading Royals game on Thursday (for free).  ECHL.   With all the ECHLers up in Lehigh, I have no idea what kind of beer league I'm going to be watching.  I looked quickly at the roster and saw no names I knew.   This should be fun.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

With all the ECHLers up in Lehigh, I have no idea what kind of beer league I'm going to watching. 

Well sadly they have their top goalie on the Phantoms John Muse (who is actually in net as we speak and he is 4-1-0 935% 2.07 gaa in his callup time this year).

ECHLer in their lineup:

De Haas 

Lamarche

Only today oncthe blueline. Not sure the forwards they have up.

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nope i prefer other options.

I don't think it is that bad of an option.  Yeah I read what @yave1964 wrote, but the kid still has talent.  Having a new team, coach, goalie coach could all work in his favor.  And if the rumors in just giving up a 3rd round pick for him, I think that would be a steal.  

It's easy to be willing to give up a third for Mrazek, but there are other things to consider as well. Mrazek makes 4 million a year and is an RFA after this one. What's your plan going into next season? Do you qualify Mrazek at 4 million, and run the risk of him signing the QO and then not being able to move one of your goalies? Do you not qualify him and throw a third rounder away for 4ish weeks of a goalie? And what happens in the (admittedly laughably unlikely) event that Elliott, Neuvirth, and Mrazek are all healthy? None of them are waiver-exempt, and you're going to be past the trade deadline. Do you carry three goalies on the active roster, or risk sending one through waivers?

10 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I don't think it is that bad of an option.

Yeah sure as long as you haven't watched him play.

Might as well bring this guy back...

tumblr_lwbn52kReB1qzw6clo1_500.gif

...he is already on the payroll!!!!

Nope i would stand pat or find another cheaper options. The goalie market is not huge most team are good.

I think Hexy waits till the last minute when prices come down because teams need to move guys.

6 minutes ago, Jam1986 said:

Stay the course. No big name goalie. This bring the team closer. Give him a shoot. Do not spend a Lot on another goalie.

What about Raanta? I don't think we'd have to give up that much for him, do you?

11 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

What about Raanta? I don't think we'd have to give up that much for him, do you?

Actually, I think the Flyers would have to give up more to Arizona for Raanta than Mrazek from Detroit.  They gave up the 7th pick of last years draft for Stephan and Raanta with hopes to make Raanta the #1 netminder.  Although the season didn't get off to the start the Yotes wanted Raanta and his team have been playing much better of late.

Archived