Evander Kane?

sekkes85

1 hour ago, brelic said:

For secondary scoring, what do you mean? Bottom six? Because the top six are fine, IMO. Kane would / should not displace our top 4 wingers, and he's not a 3rd line player.

Generally, yes, but I'd consider Kane as 2LW along Patrick and move V back to RW - which would bump V or Simmonds down to the third line.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Even if you have Kane or Simmonds on the 3rd, I don't know that Laughton is a strong enough 3C to really help boost his wingers. That's more of a role I can see Frost playing for a season next year or the year after. 

I agree about Laughton, but I don't think that means you don't try to improve the 3L wingers (assuming trading for a better 3C isn't doable).

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, vis said:

Generally, yes, but I'd consider Kane as 2LW along Patrick and move V back to RW - which would bump V or Simmonds down to the third line.

I agree about Laughton, but I don't think that means you don't try to improve the 3L wingers (assuming trading for a better 3C isn't doable).

Kane would almost certainly add some scoring pop. I guess there are two, or maybe three, question marks.

1. Is the cost worth it?

Just this morning, I saw that the asking price for Brassard from the Sens is a 1st, prospect, and a third piece. That's from a Sens beat writer. Kane would certainly fetch at least that, and probably more. So, our 1st (which I'm sure Buffalo would want over the STL 1st), let's assume Sanheim, and a current bottom six player. That seems like too much. No, that's definitely too much.

Now, if we're looking at Sam Reinhart, maybe it's a different discussion. 

2. Is he a fit with this group?

I like this team. A lot. Sure, there's Weise and Lehtera that I don't particularly enjoy, but it's short term. For the most part, this group is fun. Ghost is becoming a leader. Coots, G, Voracek, and Simmer are great calming influences not to mention top level talent. TK is a sparkplug. Provorov and Hagg get the job done. 

Does a guy like Kane come in a throw off that chemistry? Especially when they're starting to finally put it all together.

3. Can we resign him? 

This is the biggest one. Otherwise, it would be a huge waste of resources, IMO. I'd rather bring up Lindblom for the stretch run and see if he can provide some of that secondary scoring. Or even Bardreau.

Well at least we know it wasn't Ek's rumor he has them interested in a different forward...

* Lots of buzz around the Flyers and Sabres talking deal, but NOT surrounding a goalie as is being reported. Ellliot's injury doesn't look great (will know more soon) but the Flyers have more interest in a forward....NOT Evander Kane however...

th?id=OIP.PsvkqF32_uCtzF-YftJtzwHaFf&pid

Dear God i hope it ain't Matt Moulson....

21 minutes ago, brelic said:

1. Is the cost worth it?

Just this morning, I saw that the asking price for Brassard from the Sens is a 1st, prospect, and a third piece. That's from a Sens beat writer. Kane would certainly fetch at least that, and probably more. So, our 1st (which I'm sure Buffalo would want over the STL 1st), let's assume Sanheim, and a current bottom six player. That seems like too much. No, that's definitely too much.

Now, if we're looking at Sam Reinhart, maybe it's a different discussion. 

A few things, assuming the "ask" for Kane is comparable to Brassard.

First, I agree that Sanheim is off the table in any trade for Kane.

Second, I agree that it's too much for a rental but would it change your view knowing you could extend Kane for a reasonable contract?

Third, I'm open to trading most any player currently in the bottom six (depending on the remaining mix of a deal).  

Reinhart is interesting because he's younger, RFA and can play C/LW.

2. Is he a fit with this group?

I like this team. A lot. Sure, there's Weise and Lehtera that I don't particularly enjoy, but it's short term. For the most part, this group is fun. Ghost is becoming a leader. Coots, G, Voracek, and Simmer are great calming influences not to mention top level talent. TK is a sparkplug. Provorov and Hagg get the job done. 

Does a guy like Kane come in a throw off that chemistry? Especially when they're starting to finally put it all together.

If he is accurately portrayed as a cancer, then it could be problematic.  I don't know how much of a "problem" he really is.  Where there is smoke, though.  That said, I'm not sure he's been on teams/organizations with strong leadership.  Maybe this group could rein some of that in, if in fact it is an issue.

3. Can we resign him? 

This is the biggest one. Otherwise, it would be a huge waste of resources, IMO. I'd rather bring up Lindblom for the stretch run and see if he can provide some of that secondary scoring. Or even Bardreau.

Agree.  See above, though.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

* Lots of buzz around the Flyers and Sabres talking deal, but NOT surrounding a goalie as is being reported. Ellliot's injury doesn't look great (will know more soon) but the Flyers have more interest in a forward....NOT Evander Kane however...

As @brelic mentioned, maybe Reinhart?  ROR?

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Phantoms are prepping for a run, too...

1 minute ago, vis said:

Reinhart?  ROR?

Dear God if i had to chose between those two i take Reinhart for sure.

No way i want any of ROR's 7.5 mill price tag for the next 5 years for just a 40-50 point forward. HELL NO!

Unless Mcdud and Lehtera is going back the other way!

2 minutes ago, vis said:

A few things, assuming the "ask" for Kane is comparable to Brassard.

First, I agree that Sanheim is off the table in any trade for Kane.

Second, I agree that it's too much for a rental but would it change your view knowing you could extend Kane for a reasonable contract? Third, I'm open to trading most any player currently in the bottom six (depending on the remaining mix of a deal).  

Reinhart is interesting because he's younger, RFA and can play C/LW.

Probably not, but that's my bias against Kane coming through lol. I have a hard time cheering for players I really don't like, and he tops the list. Byfuglien is another one. 

So, I feel Hextall would not be the type to go after Kane. The only scenario that would make sense is if he were between the pipes, and chasing him down after the whistle to drill him into the boards :)

Agree on your first and third points, and I think Reinhart would be worth kicking the tires on.

But, if Kane makes the team better and can be had for a fair price and contract, who am I to complain?

2 minutes ago, vis said:

If he is accurately portrayed as a cancer, then it could be problematic.  I don't know how much of a "problem" he really is.  Where there is smoke, though.  That said, I'm not sure he's been on teams/organizations with strong leadership.  Maybe this group could rein some of that in, if in fact it is an issue.

That's true, maybe this group can whip him into shape. 

But I don't think it's easy. He has a pattern of beahviour. And the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour.

https://thehockeywriters.com/can-evander-kane-be-fixed/

Although he hasn’t nearly reached Johnny Manziel levels, the life and times of Evander Kane hasn’t always been easy to watch. Drafted fourth overall by the Atlanta Thrashers in 2009, Kane entered the league amidst a lot of hype. He was a Memorial Cup champion, a World Junior Gold medalist, and set a record on his WHL team for goals in a season. His success in Junior led most to believe he was a can’t-miss prospect. He was a big, powerful winger, who had a nasty streak to go along with his offensive ability. But as is sometimes the case with young athletes, hockey was far from the only thing in his life.

Evander has a personality. He loves to have fun, and enjoy life. There’s nothing wrong with that, so long as it doesn’t involve anything illegal, and it doesn’t distract you from your job, or affect your on-ice play. Kane suffered some injuries early on in his career, in fact he’s never played a full 82-game season. The most games he’s ever appeared in was 74 in the 2011-12 season. But his on-ice play is often the second thing you think about when his name comes up.

Timeline of events:

In 2011, there were rumors that Kane had requested a trade out of Winnipeg. He and his agent dismissed the claims.

In 2012, Kane posted a picture of himself in Las Vegas with a “money phone”. He claimed it was just in good fun, but the post was viewed as offensive.

During the lock-out in 2012, Kane signed with Dinamo Minsk of the KHL, but his contract was soon terminated. The coach stated that Evander “could not adapt to hockey in the KHL”.

In 2013, Kane stirred up some controversy by tweeting out a homophobic slur.

In 2014, Kane was accused of assault in Vancouver. The case was eventually dismissed.

Later that year, Kane posted another money picture, this time doing push-ups with stacks on money on his back.

In 2015, Kane was involved in the infamous “track suit gate” with his teammates, leading many to believe he was disliked and an outcast in the room.

Kane elected for shoulder surgery that ended his season, though many viewed that as a way of him refusing to play for the Jets, and with his teammates. He was traded a few days later to the Buffalo Sabres.

Throughout his time with the Jets organization, Kane had many run-ins with former coach Claude Noel, who spoke of the strained relationship between the two. He was a healthy scratch on several occasions, including an incident under new head coach Paul Maurice in 2014. This summer, Kane has found even more trouble while in Buffalo.

Evander plead not guilty to assault allegations that included three women, and another NHL player in a Buffalo nightclub. But just as that was getting sorted out, Kane was accused of assaulting a woman in a hotel room. Kane and his representation have denied any wrongdoing. [Read the full story here]. Posting silly pictures is one thing. Getting in tussles with teammates is common. Showing up late or missing practice happens to a lot of guys. But getting in trouble with the law, and for the same thing over and over again, is very concerning.

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No way i want any of ROR's 7.5 mill price tag for the next 5 years for just a 40-50 point forward. HELL NO!

Yeah, that was some serious over-payment.

14 minutes ago, brelic said:

Probably not, but that's my bias against Kane coming through lol. I have a hard time cheering for players I really don't like, and he tops the list. Byfuglien is another one. 

So, I feel Hextall would not be the type to go after Kane. The only scenario that would make sense is if he were between the pipes, and chasing him down after the whistle to drill him into the boards :)

Agree on your first and third points, and I think Reinhart would be worth kicking the tires on.

But, if Kane makes the team better and can be had for a fair price and contract, who am I to complain?

That's true, maybe this group can whip him into shape. 

But I don't think it's easy. He has a pattern of beahviour. And the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour.

Although he hasn’t nearly reached Johnny Manziel levels, the life and times of Evander Kane hasn’t always been easy to watch. Drafted fourth overall by the Atlanta Thrashers in 2009, Kane entered the league amidst a lot of hype. He was a Memorial Cup champion, a World Junior Gold medalist, and set a record on his WHL team for goals in a season. His success in Junior led most to believe he was a can’t-miss prospect. He was a big, powerful winger, who had a nasty streak to go along with his offensive ability. But as is sometimes the case with young athletes, hockey was far from the only thing in his life.

Evander has a personality. He loves to have fun, and enjoy life. There’s nothing wrong with that, so long as it doesn’t involve anything illegal, and it doesn’t distract you from your job, or affect your on-ice play. Kane suffered some injuries early on in his career, in fact he’s never played a full 82-game season. The most games he’s ever appeared in was 74 in the 2011-12 season. But his on-ice play is often the second thing you think about when his name comes up.

Timeline of events:

In 2011, there were rumors that Kane had requested a trade out of Winnipeg. He and his agent dismissed the claims.

In 2012, Kane posted a picture of himself in Las Vegas with a “money phone”. He claimed it was just in good fun, but the post was viewed as offensive.

During the lock-out in 2012, Kane signed with Dinamo Minsk of the KHL, but his contract was soon terminated. The coach stated that Evander “could not adapt to hockey in the KHL”.

In 2013, Kane stirred up some controversy by tweeting out a homophobic slur.

In 2014, Kane was accused of assault in Vancouver. The case was eventually dismissed.

Later that year, Kane posted another money picture, this time doing push-ups with stacks on money on his back.

In 2015, Kane was involved in the infamous “track suit gate” with his teammates, leading many to believe he was disliked and an outcast in the room.

Kane elected for shoulder surgery that ended his season, though many viewed that as a way of him refusing to play for the Jets, and with his teammates. He was traded a few days later to the Buffalo Sabres.

Throughout his time with the Jets organization, Kane had many run-ins with former coach Claude Noel, who spoke of the strained relationship between the two. He was a healthy scratch on several occasions, including an incident under new head coach Paul Maurice in 2014. This summer, Kane has found even more trouble while in Buffalo.

Evander plead not guilty to assault allegations that included three women, and another NHL player in a Buffalo nightclub. But just as that was getting sorted out, Kane was accused of assaulting a woman in a hotel room. Kane and his representation have denied any wrongdoing. [Read the full story here]. Posting silly pictures is one thing. Getting in tussles with teammates is common. Showing up late or missing practice happens to a lot of guys. But getting in trouble with the law, and for the same thing over and over again, is very concerning.

STOP THE PRESSES I HAVE FOUND HEXTALL'S TRADELINE PLANS!!!!!!!!!!!

source.gif

Thoughts????

16 minutes ago, brelic said:

Of the stuff listed, the most concerning are the assault allegations.  

Since then, he's been mostly quiet, save for a recent dust-up in practice.

Maybe he wised up?

3 minutes ago, vis said:

Of the stuff listed, the most concerning are the assault allegations.  

Since then, he's been mostly quiet, save for a recent dust-up in practice.

Maybe he wised up?

Well, the latest incident was in Buffalo in 2016. 

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/evander-kane-officially-charged-over-alleged-buffalo-nightclub-incident

I agree that the assault allegations are the most concerning. Personally, I would not want the Flyers to support a man who has that kind of temper... but that's just me.

However, I think that the attitude that makes him think he can just assault women and men spills over into his role as a teammate. The 'track suit gate,' and other team-related incidents point to a person whose character is such that he will act in self-interest.

I can't remember Shero's exact quote, so I'll paraphrase. Character is much more significant than reputation. Your reputation is what people think of you. You character is who you are.

And I don't think Kane has a very professional and adult character.

So just because there is nothing else to talk about right now where would Kane even play??

Right now the LWs are Giroux on the 1st line.

Jake is playing on the 2nd with Patrick and Simmer.

Weal is on the 3rd with Laughton and Raffl.

Lehtera on the 4th.

Where would Kane even play??

Would they clear a space maybe by trading Weal and opening up a spot at the same time???

If they were to take Lehtera (which no way in hell can i see happening then i would do it) but you would have to send a high priority prospect back to make that go down and i want no part of it. Lehtera Weal and 3rd???

Well it looks like Ek is on the Sabres & Flyers trade narrative... although, he claims there are talks but it does not include Kane.   Claims it is another forward.

With that said I fully expect Kane to be in a Flyers uniform by next week :VeryCool:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well at least we know it wasn't Ek's rumor he has them interested in a different forward...

th?id=OIP.PsvkqF32_uCtzF-YftJtzwHaFf&pid

I guess I should have read the thread more thoroughly before posting my comments :cheers: 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

However, I think that the attitude that makes him think he can just assault women and men spills over into his role as a teammate. 

Allegedly.  

44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Where would Kane even play??

This year, he'd either play LW with Patrick and V or Simmons drop to third line RW or with Laughton or whoever else is 3C.

17 hours ago, brelic said:

I think Reinhart would be worth kicking the tires on.

I wonder what the price on him would be. It seems odd to get rid of a 22 year old and second overall draft pick when you're entering a rebuild. I have a feeling he's largely off the table minus a socks off trade offer, which I doubt Hex would provide.

If that whole rumour with BUF is true, I'm thinking it's someone else. I bet it's ROR. Hex is probably looking to boost the PK and get another two-way player in the mix. Not a terrible idea, but he carries a hefty price tag for that production. Especially considering he wouldn't see top line minutes on this squad.

Archived