Game 57: NJ Devils at Flyers, 2/13/18 @ 7

Howie58

Just now, AJgoal said:

Bad goal by Neuvirth.

Have to...Flyers were up by one.

Can't play like that.

Can't actually see left the house after the 1st, waiting for a table took the wife out for Valentines...prefer going out the day before than the day of.

Cheers hope i come back home to a win.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Have to...Flyers were up by one.

Can't play like that.

Can't actually see left the house after the 1st, waiting for a table took the wife out for Valentines...prefer going out the day before than the day of.

Cheers hope i come back home to a win.

Good to see chivalry is not dead! Kudos bro! 

16 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

What a lack of imagination in the shootout once again

Yeah Jake look like he just wanted to get it over with.

I knew as soon as i typed in the thread one team had one 4 straight and the other had lost 3 straight what would happen.

This team reminds me of the Eagles from last year they would play well but always find a way to lose.

I hope they follow their trend and next year and find a way to win.

SMFH

1 hour ago, Pucked in the head said:

What a lack of imagination in the shootout once again

but....they got a point!:ph34r:Too many peaks and valleys (mostly valleys) and not even close to enough consistency tonight.

Freaking horrible effort last night.  Wasted all PP opportunities looking for a perfect pass to Giroux, seriously we need a plan B on the PP.

Couturier was back to his coasting ways of previous years. Was Jake's brain even at the game?   This team is in trouble when Gudas is the only player on the ice who really wants the 2 points.  Speaking of 2 points I can't believe we even gave up 2 to those stinking Devils.

:rage:

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

Freaking horrible effort last night.  Wasted all PP opportunities looking for a perfect pass to Giroux, seriously we need a plan B on the PP.

Couturier was back to his coasting ways of previous years. Was Jake's brain even at the game?   This team is in trouble when Gudas is the only player on the ice who really wants the 2 points.  Speaking of 2 points I can't believe we even gave up 2 to those stinking Devils.

:rage:

Yeah, that was ugly.  Plenty of stupid plays last night.  Don't know if it was a hangover from the western swing or what.  They looked braindead.  I don't know how they even had a lead, let alone a few (all of which were blown).  Why is this team perennially bad at the shoot out?  Has been this way since it was instituted. 

1 hour ago, vis said:

Why is this team perennially bad at the shoot out?  Has been this way since it was instituted. 

Yeah, this is maddening to me.....seems Nuevy is pretty capable in the shootout though given his last two attempts?!

Perhaps a "bright note"...:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

4 hours ago, hf101 said:

Was Jake's brain even at the game?

It sure wasn't on the shootout attempt....terrible effort/attempt by him look like he just wanted to get it over with.

And that first goal Neuvy let in was Michael Leightonesque if i ever seen one!!!!!!

Can't let that beat you!

At this point Lehner would be an upgrade over hi i just don't want to give up much to get him.

2 hours ago, vis said:

Yeah, that was ugly.  Plenty of stupid plays last night.  Don't know if it was a hangover from the western swing or what.  They looked braindead.  I don't know how they even had a lead, let alone a few (all of which were blown).  Why is this team perennially bad at the shoot out?  Has been this way since it was instituted. 

That's a HUGE mystery. Five full coaching staff changes. About half a dozen goalie changes, if not more. Full roster change, a few times over.

So from what I've been able to gather, we have the worst record in the shootout since its inception in 2005-2006. As of mid-December, our all-time winning percentage was 33.9%. By far the worst. No one else is below 40%.

What is interesting, however, is that it really comes down to rotten goaltending. Our shooters this year are scoring close to the league rate (30% for Flyers, 32% league average). Historically, our players score at 27.8%.

But our goaltenders' .595 save % is by far the worst in the NHL - I'm still looking for overall team numbers so I can see just how bad it is. If we received average goaltending in the shootout, we'd be around .680.

So, somehow, someway, our goaltending has been consistently poor for the last 12 years.

I guess I didn't need to write all that other stuff to come to that conclusion :)

If anyone can find our SO record by season, that would be interesting to look at.

21 minutes ago, brelic said:

So, somehow, someway, our goaltending has been consistently poor for the last 12 years.

Yep whats new.....right....and one of the best guys they had is in Columbus....sad.

I hope and pray one day when he arrives Hart changes all that........or at best gives them a better chance. It's all you can ask for .

48 minutes ago, brelic said:

That's a HUGE mystery. Five full coaching staff changes. About half a dozen goalie changes, if not more. Full roster change, a few times over.

So from what I've been able to gather, we have the worst record in the shootout since its inception in 2005-2006. As of mid-December, our all-time winning percentage was 33.9%. By far the worst. No one else is below 40%.

What is interesting, however, is that it really comes down to rotten goaltending. Our shooters this year are scoring close to the league rate (30% for Flyers, 32% league average). Historically, our players score at 27.8%.

But our goaltenders' .595 save % is by far the worst in the NHL - I'm still looking for overall team numbers so I can see just how bad it is. If we received average goaltending in the shootout, we'd be around .680.

I guess I didn't need to write all that other stuff to come to that conclusion :)

If anyone can find our SO record by season, that would be interesting to look at.

That's good research and interesting.  Never considered whether it was more of a goaltending vs. shooting issue (I always thought it was an issue with the latter).  Given our goaltenders past and present, it makes sense that goaltending is the main issue.  

What was the source of your research?  No questioning the veracity; just seeing what resources are out there that I haven't come across.   Or did you compile the info yourself?

2 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Yeah, this is maddening to me.....seems Nuevy is pretty capable in the shootout though given his last two attempts?!

Perhaps a "bright note"...:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Yeah, can't fault Neuvirth in the SO.

Regulation is another issue... 

31 minutes ago, vis said:

That's good research and interesting.  Never considered whether it was more of a goaltending vs. shooting issue (I always thought it was an issue with the latter).  Given our goaltenders past and present, it makes sense that goaltending is the main issue.  

What was the source of your research?  No questioning the veracity; just seeing what resources are out there that I haven't come across.   Or did you compile the info yourself?

I made it up, Trump-style! ;)

I got most of it from an NHL.com article

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-key-stats-numbers-december-24/c-294358818

I looked up hockey-reference.com to try and find individual team records on a historical basis, but couldn't find anything apparent. It must be out there somewhere.

Here is one I looked at too, showing historical performance in the first 10 years of the shootout

https://tifubyjoiningreddit.wordpress.com/2015/09/16/10-years-of-shootouts-reviewed-ranking-the-best-and-worst-shootout-teams/

You can see our save percentage is strikingly bad. It seems to have improved a bit over the past few seasons.

Interestingly, in that last link I just pasted, there is a loose correlation between save % and shooting % - they seem to move in tandem. Not perfectly, of course. But it's curious that there would be a correlation at all. You would think they are independent variables - and they are. They are as isolated and independent as you can get in hockey. A few reasons for the correlation? Maybe the players and the goalies feed off each other in how they're performing in the shootout. A kind of mental boost or balloon deflater. Or it could come down to how they practice the shootout. Hard to say.

EDIT: I just ran a test, and there is no statistical correlation between save% and shooting%. It just looks a bit like that lol.

Now before i ask this question i'm not blaming all the shootout losses on him but:

When is the last time Giroux scored a shootout goal?

He use to be good at it but now he'd like Jake just look to get it over with.

Does my memory deceive me or am i crazy to remember a time when Giroux was wicked good handling the puck and looked like he was made for the shootout? Am i crazy?

15 hours ago, Pucked in the head said:

Make room in the padded room for me cause I must be  crazy too ,G WAS the Man at one point, then he just fell the hell off ? Surgery have anything to do with it? Don't know but I don't friggin like it!

Well he is 0 for 5 this year. 0%

He was 4 for 12 last year. 33% 8 misses

15-16 he was 2 for 9 22% 7 misses

14-15 he was 1 for 12 8% 11 misses YIKES!!!

13-14 he was 5 for 11 45% 6 misses

So maybe i was wrong he sucks at it!

So as of today his lifetime stats 77 attempts made 24 and missed 53 times good for 31%!

Jake is just 33% lifetime.

Coots is just 11%. Coots hasn't made a shootout attempt since 2014-15 YIKES!!! Even then he was 1 for 8!

Hell Lehtera is 33%.

Weal is 50% 4 of 8 lifetime.

This team is just garbage when it comes to shootouts.

Archived