Howie58

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well he is 0 for 5 this year. 0%

He was 4 for 12 last year. 50% 8 misses

15-16 he was 2 for 9 22% 7 misses

14-15 he was 1 for 12 8% 11 misses YIKES!!!

13-14 he was 5 for 11 45% 6 misses

So maybe i was wrong he sucks at it!

So as of today his lifetime stats 77 attempts made 24 and missed 53 times good for 31%!

Jake is just 33% lifetime.

Coots is just 11%. Coots hasn't made a shootout attempt since 2014-15 YIKES!!! Even then he was 1 for 8!

Hell Lehtera is 33%.

Weal is 50% 4 of 8 lifetime.

This team is just garbage when it comes to shootouts.

Don’t forget that the league average for shooters is 30%.

6 hours ago, brelic said:

Don’t forget that the league average for shooters is 30%.

It must be an odd thing to practice and train. On the one hand, the shootout sucks (imo?). It's only mildly representative of the sport -- by mildly I mean there are skates and sticks and pucks involved -- and it only comes into play a relatively small amount of the time. I can see how it would be something teams don't spend too much time on. Time is a limited commodity after all. If the coaching staff feels time is better spent working on zone exits, or powerplays, or penalty killing (clearly not a favourite of this particular staff), it seems easy to give those and other components of the game far greater importance.

On the other hand, it has become an increasingly large part of the game (unfortunately). So clearly it is something that now has to be factored into the equation. Is it worth carrying a player on the team who is maybe a 4th liner at best during play but is a shootout wizard? It that how it even works? I dunno.

I have noticed one thing about the shootout: Just because a player is elite at the actual sport of hockey, it does not in any way mean they're good in the shootout. Giroux is a prime example, but there are tons of others all around the league just like him. Franz Nielsen, in all his shootout glory, never spends his attempts trying to dazzle with crazy stickhandling ability. Most of the time, he just shows up and fires a shot. It seems to work for him a lot. Yet, by any metric or eye test of life, Giroux >>>>>>>> Franz Nielsen.

So what does that tell us? Well, it tells us the shootout and hockey are very different beasts. In some ways, a coach or GM would have to be looking very specifically for people who seem to somehow be good at the sideshow it actually is. At the same time, do I want Hex spending his days going over lists of players like Franz Nielsen, or do I want him deliberating over who might be the next Giroux? It would be great to get both, but clearly that is a crap shoot as much as anything.

I have no idea where I'm going with all this. Shootouts suck. Planning for them must be awful and boring. It's sad to me that doing so has effectively become necessary in today's NHL.

26 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I have no idea where I'm going with all this. Shootouts suck. Planning for them must be awful and boring. It's sad to me that doing so has effectively become necessary in today's NHL.

And the reality is that our goaltending is more responsible for losses than our shooters. 

8 hours ago, brelic said:

And the reality is that our goaltending is more responsible for losses than our shooters. 

What is really ugly is Neuvy's save percentage on the PP....786% is downright disgusting...3 goals against this year.

And his PK numbers not much better 810% 12 goals against.

Elliot's is slightly better PP 864% with 6 goals against. And his PK 809% with 29 goals against.

So really is it the goalie or the team in front of them i can't tell....chicken or the egg....

Mason this year is hasn't given up a shortie all year and his PK is 871% given up 9 goals.

But Mason 5 on 5 is just 900% .

His numbers on the Flyers last year PK 891% and PK 840%.

On 2/15/2018 at 7:48 AM, brelic said:

As somebody who watched the Devils once lose 18 straight shootouts, I feel your pain.

Archived