Let's Not Get Our Hopes too High, But...

King Knut

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Trust me it's nice record to break....but once you consider who's record he broke (Tyson Sexsmith who???) it must be keep with modest expectations.

Kid has a long way to go and playing in the Philly pressure cooker market will be a huge HUGE test for the kid.

Will he become the next great AJ Feeley or the next great Carson Wentz. Who knows.

However i must say it feels great to have THAT bird in hand.

I hope they take great care of him physically and mentally. 

God knows this young club could use some great play in net....just to eventually come in and help erase the mistakes of the kid growing into their roles will be HUGE.

#fingerscrossed

I'm not being negative either....cautiously optimistic!

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Trust me it's nice record to break....but once you consider who's record he broke (Tyson Sexsmith who???) it must be keep with modest expectations.

Kid has a long way to go and playing in the Philly pressure cooker market will be a huge HUGE test for the kid.

Will he become the next great AJ Feeley or the next great Carson Wentz. Who knows.

However i must say it feels great to have THAT bird in hand.

I hope they take great care of him physically and mentally. 

God knows this young club could use some great play in net....just to eventually come in and help erase the mistakes of the kid growing into their roles will be HUGE.

#fingerscrossed

I'm not being negative either....cautiously optimistic!

AJ Feeley was good as an Eagle.  So was Koy Detmer for that matter.

And another guy by the name of Nick Foles too.  

Point is, it was when some damn fools thought that just those players and no other pieces were enough that things got rough for them.  

Again, I'm not saying this means anything.  It's just fun to read positivity happening.  

We got him at something like 48 overall and he's coming into a team that's winning now and should only be filling out and getting better by this time next year.  No one's expecting him to carry the load.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

We got him at something like 48 overall and he's coming into a team that's winning now and should only be filling out and getting better by this time next year.  No one's expecting him to carry the load. 

I'm wondering who gets chosen to tutor him with the Phantoms...it seems it's between Stolie and Lyon....the loser will be shown the door.

Which it will be i can't say right now. I think Stolie is the better goalie...however he has missed all year up to this point...when he even plays again no one knows.

36 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm wondering who gets chosen to tutor him with the Phantoms...it seems it's between Stolie and Lyon....the loser will be shown the door.

Which it will be i can't say right now. I think Stolie is the better goalie...however he has missed all year up to this point...when he even plays again no one knows.

It's all about Stolarz's injury and recovery.

That has really screwed things up all around this year.  I kinda got into this in another post, but  it's just such a bummer because Stolie was intended to be the backup.

Last year, Hextall HAD to either resign Mason or Neuvirth OR trade for someone else in order to expose a qualifying goalie to vegas.  Rather than giving up any assets, he chose to resign Neuvy (presumably because Mason was asking for a longer deal than Neuvy at the time).

The whole idea behind doing that was to protect Stolarz who was I believe the only other qualifying goalie they had.

Hextall basically said that he wanted Stolarz to be the backup this year, but because of Neuvirth's injury history he couldn't bank on Neuvirth to be the sole #1, so he went out and signed Elliott, which was perfect because Elliott's good (but not great) so he didn't want a million years and would be happy signing for a few million bucks.  

But because they now had to vet goalies, Stolarz was relegated to Lehigh #1 and with both him AND Lyon at Lehigh, Sandstrom elected to remain in Sweden for another year where he'd get more playing time against better competition than he likely would backing up the backup in Lehigh (aka playing in Reading).  

Assuming he was healthy, Stolarz would have come up with Neuvirth got hurt and he might have played a bit more initially because Hak might have had more confidence in him after having seen him perform last year. 

But with Stolarz hurt all year, Sandstrom could have come over and gotten AHL minutes afterall.  Strong minutes by the look of how Lyon is panning out. 

Right now if Sandstrom is in North America, and with Lyon not playing well at all, it's feasible he could've seen some NHL minutes.  Instead the Flyers have to gamble on whatever diagnosis Elliott gets to see if they need to acquire a goalie at the deadline or not.

Playing in the same league that gave the world a young Henrik Lundqvist won't kill Sandstrom, but having to start Lyon much more at the NHL level this season could kill the Flyers season.  

14 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Instead the Flyers have to gamble on whatever diagnosis Elliott gets to see if they need to acquire a goalie at the deadline or not.

This is it right here. And as we know Ron keeps a tight lip on these matters because he smartly wants to maintain leverage in nay trade.

Elliott being on the shelf for a few weeks will force Ron's hand because as we all know even though Neuvy is playing well right now he can slip and fall getting out of the shower at any moment....and then all hope is lost...forcing Lyon into the crease.

Without knowing Elliott's injury and time table to return we are just left guessing/praying there will be an answer soon....

We can always ask St. Nick for help!!!!!!

IMG_7591.jpeg

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is it right here. And as we know Ron keeps a tight lip on these matters because he smartly wants to maintain leverage in nay trade.

Thought I read that Hextall would provide an update on Elliott's status today.  Anyone hear anything?

4 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Stolarz was the better goalie without question. Unfortunately, we don't know if that's true anymore because of his injury 

Well the good news is Ron said he could be playing come March....so good to hear...however he will be rusty as hell...

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well the good news is Ron said he could be playing come March....so good to hear...however he will be rusty as hell...

That will only last the first 5 games in a row Hakstol plays him.

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

But in the NHL? Probably not. Just the AHL

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2018 at 11:29 AM, King Knut said:

Speaking of getting our hopes up to high.

Could we see the Flyers do something crazy this offseason??

Like going after the one that got away???

Who's that you say?

None other than John Carlson.

A right handed D man who the Flyers let slip away 10 years ago in a trade than saw the infamous Steve Eminger and a 3rd rounder coming back for the Flyers 12th overall pick which they used on Carlson.

Yes i know this digs at an old wound since Eminger played a grand total of 12 games before being shipped to Tampa for Matt Carle.

Caps haven't reached a deal with him yet who is set to become a UFA after the season.

Sure this would be a shocker i would say.....so would he be worth it?? 

Then the Flyers have plenty of trade chips to further retool the roster on the fly.....imagine....

Provorov/Ghost

Sanheim/Carlson

Hagg/Morin

Mcdud

Gudas....trade for whatever.

Slow day just brainstorming....thoughts.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking of getting our hopes up to high.

Could we see the Flyers do something crazy this offseason??

Like going after the one that got away???

Who's that you say?

None other than John Carlson.

A right handed D man who the Flyers let slip away 10 years ago in a trade than saw the infamous Steve Eminger and a 3rd rounder coming back for the Flyers 12th overall pick which they used on Carlson.

Yes i know this digs at an old wound since Eminger played a grand total of 12 games before being shipped to Tampa for Matt Carle.

Caps haven't reached a deal with him yet who is set to become a UFA after the season.

Sure this would be a shocker i would say.....so would he be worth it?? 

Then the Flyers have plenty of trade chips to further retool the roster on the fly.....imagine....

Provorov/Ghost

Sanheim/Carlson

Hagg/Morin

Mcdud

Gudas....trade for whatever.

Slow day just brainstorming....thoughts.

I don’t want to try to heal old wounds. I want Morin and Myers to take over Gudas and Mac’s spots over 2 years and Morin taking Oneof them next year.  IneNt the guys who’ll be that dude for the next ten years. 

Archived