Morgan Rielly’s Evolution into a #1 Defenceman

hobie

Those first three guys are widely considered the best defencemen in the NHL, yet their scoring chance differentials (xGF%) are also significantly worse than their shot differentials (CF%). It appears that no defenceman is perfect, even a perennial Norris candidate.

So what is Morgan Rielly? Well, he’s a defenceman who:

• Leads his team in Controlled Zone Exits
  • Is above league average at preventing Controlled Zone Entries
  • Outshoots the opposition when he’s on the ice
  • Is on pace for over 50 Points
  • Does all this while facing extremely difficult competition

There’s only one other defenceman in the NHL who meets these criteria. His name is Drew Doughty.

If Rielly can keep playing at the level he has this season, I don’t think the Leafs don’t need to go looking for a #1 defenceman – they’ve found him.

https://mapleleafsnation.com/2018/02/14/morgan-riellys-evolution-into-a-1-defenceman/

I think if you watch your team hyper critically you can easily pick apart any player's game and according to your eye test most players won't add up to their true value because we don't have that same critical eye focused on players not on the Leafs.

This is a long treatise on Rielly's value but well worth the read.  

11 hours ago, hobie said:

I think if you watch your team hyper critically you can easily pick apart any player's game and according to your eye test most players won't add up to their true value because we don't have that same critical eye focused on players not on the Leafs.

This is a long treatise on Rielly's value but well worth the read.  

So if you had the opportunity to do a deal with the Senators for Karlsson, and one of the pieces going back was Rielly, would you make that trade?  :thinking:What about Gardiner?

Do you think Rielly can be just as good?  :)

I've always loved Gardiner, Rielly not so much however Rielly and Gardiner have been co-number one d-men for TO this year. There is such a thing as a #1 d-man not being in Karlsson's class of player. Kopitar is a #1 center for LA but he's no Crosby.

Can Rielly become another Karlsson, I doubt it, Karlsson is a superstar, a near generational talent. I personally feel that Gardiner is TO's #1 d-man or at least TO's best d-man. Rielly is still young so who knows, there's still time to grow. What frustrates me about Rielly is his maddening inconsistency, dominant for awhile then nearly invisible. Gardiner is as inconsistent sort of but I think the source of their inconsistency is the coaching, let them play, TO and they will flourish. It might not be Babs pretty but pretty is only skin deep.

Gardiner is still getting the most TOI, Rielly is 4th for TOI from the d.

I thought the article was an interesting read but that doesn't mean I agree with it.   

4 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Kadri + Marner = :love:

Babs was asked after the game last night basically why it took him so long to unite them, his answer was 2 fold, last year they didn't click together and basically Marner for some reason woke up and started playing. I didn't miss a game last year and I can't remember Marner playing with Kadri except on the very occasional shift. Marner has been bad, I do agree.

Archived