The Sosh trade

hobie

Sosh has been fragile since the Leafs signed him so it seems he won't be missed and that's probably true, probably.

In his first year he had 18 goals in 52 games playing as a 4th liner with the Marlies, that's a lot of goals for any 4th liner in any league anywhere. TO is impressed so he joins the Leafs and again on the 4th line scores 5 points in 11 games. He's used to kill penalties with both the Marlies and Leafs. Of course his 1st year ends with a concussion that appears to linger and the next training camp he's viewed as not ready so he's sent to the Marlies. TO finished last in the NHL yet he was easily expendable on the Leaf's roster?

Eventually he was elevated to the Leafs in his 2nd year and used as a PKer and 4th liner while also being injured.

This year he was again injured but managed to put up 17 points in 19 games in the A and that didn't warrant a promotion. OK TO had Kappy  who was also doing well in the A but Kappy's stats weren't much better than Sosh's.

I wonder if TO hadn't been using Sosh very well, he's not built to be a physical force but he does have speed, a decent shot and PKing ability. He wasn't used as a scorer in the A and or top 9 forward, until this year in the A, again with the Leafs but I think he might still have potential that TO hasn't appeared to spend any energy to discover. 

If TO is right, Sosh is a 4th line PKer at best then a 4th is probably a decent return but if the only problem with Sosh in TO was lack of opportunity, well, I hope he doesn't turn into the next Marchessault. I keep thinking that the NHL is full of lots of smart, experienced coaches, GMs, etc. but then I see how well LV is doing and I wonder, and I wonder???  

I think the problem for Soshnikov in Toronto is that we have an abundance of forwards. I always thought he was more of an offensively gifted forward like a Nylander "lite" or something. He's not built to be a penalty killer really. He's more of a finesse forward with some scoring touch.

I think the Leafs have enough guys like that (and with more talent) such that there was no place for Sosh on the team any more. The Leafs need more grit, especially for penalty killing. There's a lack of toughness on the Leafs again.

My two cents.  :)

Archived