2017-18 NHL Trade deadline

Plekanec scratched from the Canadien game tonight, rumors that he may end up in Columbus by nights end. as a closet CBJ fan I kind of hate it, they are desperate for offense down the middle and he simply is not that guy. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I read this too.

The thinking from the Sens' part is a team could pay LESS overall in prospects/picks for Karlsson if they are willing to take on Bobby Ryan's albatross contract.

Basically, this is a play to attempt to get out from under it....even if it means the return for Karlsson is lessened.

Sorta makes sense, but still, I would think maximizing a Karlsson deal would be their priority.

I misspoke. Ryan is four more years after this one, not three. At 7.25 million.

Karlsson is one more at 6.5. I'd love to have Karlsson on my team if I was a GM. But we're starting at "future considerations" going back to the Sens if I'm taking Ryan. Hell, not many teams in position to add at the deadline can eat $14 million in cap.

Just now, yave1964 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

We were posting the same thing about Plekanec at the same time, lol. Great minds and all of that apparently.

"We are the Borg. We will add your distinctive biological and hockey saaviness to our own. You will be assimilated and joined within our collective. Resistance is futile"  

Borg.jpg

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I misspoke. Ryan is four more years after this one, not three. At 7.25 million.

Karlsson is one more at 6.5. I'd love to have Karlsson on my team if I was a GM. But we're starting at "future considerations" going back to the Sens if I'm taking Ryan. Hell, not many teams in position to add at the deadline can eat $14 million in cap.

Sens, if they can find a suck....umm, a GM to take Ryan's contract, will likely have to eat some of his salary in order to make this work.

You are right though..... $14M is a crap ton for most teams to be able to take on at once.

Bottom line is, even if a move like this clears Ryan's contract from Ottawa's books, they would be getting LESS for Karlsson, and if they are retaining some salary, they are STILL paying Ryan in some way shape or form.

Why not get the max you can for Karlsson, leave out Bobby Ryan, who would scare off other GM's, then frickin BUY HIM OUT during the offseason?

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Sens, if they can find a suck....umm, a GM to take Ryan's contract, will likely have to eat some of his salary in order to make this work.

You are right though..... $14M is a crap ton for most teams to be able to take on at once.

Bottom line is, even if a move like this clears Ryan's contract from Ottawa's books, they would be getting LESS for Karlsson, and if they are retaining some salary, they are STILL paying Ryan in some way shape or form.

Why not get the max you can for Karlsson, leave out Bobby Ryan, who would scare off other GM's, then frickin BUY HIM OUT during the offseason?

Yup. You save a bit less than 4 million over each of the last four years, and then it's less than 2 million a year for 4 after that. The term sucks, but it's likely the best you could do. At the same time, if you're blowing it all up, you can afford to keep Ryan on the books as long as possible until you're ready to add pieces and then buy him out. And his contract was front loaded, so the salary is almost $2 million less than the hit, so he'd be more tradeable late to a floor team.

25 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

"We are the Borg. We will add your distinctive biological and hockey saaviness to our own. You will be assimilated and joined within our collective. Resistance is futile"  

Borg.jpg

"There's someone in my head, but it's not me". 

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Last I heard, Evander was likely West bound........ Anaheim, LA or some such.

Lightning were thought to be interested at one point, but I believe Yzerman's priority this trade deadline is more defenseman than forward...although if he can get BOTH, I think he would.

He could help you guys dispose of the Pens

2 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

He could help you guys dispose of the Pens

Possible.

But again, defense is more the priority to improve for the playoffs.

The Lightning still have plenty up front (though a solid power forward is always welcome), but their defense has been somewhat soft and not the best when it comes to coverage the last two weeks or so.

I think a defenseman has to come to Tampa Bay before a forward does.

Tell ya what...maybe the Bolts can trade for Risto, eh?  :ahappy:

Good call by Edmonton going for a 2019 pick. If the Isles lose Tavares, that's going to be more like a late 2nd.

Not to be outdone by the Senators, rumor has it that the Sabres are shopping Ristolainen. He's the Sabre your Bolts should be after, @TropicalFruitGirl26 :ph34r:

With Grabner being traded from the NYR to NJ (and I understand a trade between the two has NEVER happened...ever), it got me thinking, Grabner has now played for all three NY Metro area teams: Played for the Islanders early in his career, then a short stop with the Leafs before being signed by the Rangers, and now traded to the Devils.

How many other players have played for all three teams in the NYC Metro market?

I know there were a few that have played for two of the three, but not all.

Mike Rupp played for the Devils and Rangers, but not the Isles.

Jagr... Rangers and Devils, but no Isles.

In the 90's, when I first started following the NHL, goalie Glenn Healy played for both the Rangers and Islanders, but not NJ.

Also in the 90's, Bruce Driver, longtime Devil, played for the Rangers a bit, but not the Islanders.

Pat Lafontaine also in the 90's, longtime Islander, played one full season for the Rangers, but not NJ.

Can anyone come up with a player that, like Grabner, has made stops on all three teams?

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Possible.

But again, defense is more the priority to improve for the playoffs.

The Lightning still have plenty up front (though a solid power forward is always welcome), but their defense has been somewhat soft and not the best when it comes to coverage the last two weeks or so.

I think a defenseman has to come to Tampa Bay before a forward does.

Tell ya what...maybe the Bolts can trade for Risto, eh?  :ahappy:

No way do we let Risto get away.  Never.  Him and Eichel are untouchable

I cannot believe that Brandon Davidson is the answer for the Isles defensive woes, lol. A stay at home defender who can be timed with a sundial who has a fear of crossing the blueline. I watched him a few times with Montreal and he seemed pretty clueless, got turned around easily, I remember Tatar who is no speed demon flying past him with ease and scoring on Montoya. If I was diagraming how to make the Isles defense even more inept I might have started with him.

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

No way do we let Risto get away.  Never.  Him and Eichel are untouchable

I like Risto, last year he was arguably one of the top defenseman in the game for the first half before fading really badly in the second half. This year he was god awful for the first half, easily the worst number one defenseman in the game even through 40ish game sbut has caught fire and started scoring and seems to have gotten it together. I wouldn't trade him either he is young and talented but hey,this is the Sabres we are talkin about the same team that brought you Ville Leino and Brian Gionta on long term overinflated deals and gave up a first for Lehner so anything is possible.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:32 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Nice read from the "Ottawa point of view" by TSN's Bob McKenzie:

https://www.tsn.ca/sens-considering-karlsson-trade-options-1.1006645

I think the Leafs still have plenty of cap space too. This is what the Leafs have been rebuilding for: an opportunity like the one in front of them right now. They should have the money and the prospects necessary to acquire Karlsson and that move should be enough to put the Leafs somewhere they haven't been for 50 years: into a Stanley Cup final. 

It's a shame that hockey's richest franchise is always so poor on the ice. If the Yankees have needs in baseball, they go out and buy the players they need, no matter what the cost, and they always win. If the Leafs have needs, they just leave the roster as is and go with what they have, which is never good enough to win the big prize. (Sure, they've made a few moves over the years for aging veterans who were well past their prime, but they haven't had "the guy" -- the player that would put you ahead of the competition and make you the favourite to win the Cup.)

The Leafs of all teams should know that they're into year 2 of their typical 5-year playoff window scenario before they fall into hockey's basement again and disappear from the playoffs for another decade. This is their 2nd of five chances to win the Cup before their opportunity is lost. They came into this season with pretty much the same team they had last season, and they're in pretty much the same position again. Unless something dramatic changes, they're on pace for another first round playoff exit. 

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yea, but what if CEO John Robert Eichel wants him out..........?  :ph34r:

Won't happen.  Never a problem with them.  Risto is perhaps the best D man in Buffalo history.  Heght was great as a stay home D man back in the 70s and Houseley, the coach was pretty darn good as a QB type.  King Kong Korab is on that list too. But Rasmus Ristolainun is going no where.  Eichel and him are the building blocks and Jack knows his importance.  The Finnish kid is a beast.

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Won't happen.  Never a problem with them.  Risto is perhaps the best D man in Buffalo history.  Heght was great as a stay home D man back in the 70s and Houseley, the coach was pretty darn good as a QB type.  King Kong Korab is on that list too. But Rasmus Ristolainun is going no where.  Eichel and him are the building blocks and Jack knows his importance.  The Finnish kid is a beast.

The last names of 40% of the players in your post are correct. 2 right out of 5, you are showing improvement. :goodjob:

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I like Risto, last year he was arguably one of the top defenseman in the game for the first half before fading really badly in the second half. This year he was god awful for the first half, easily the worst number one defenseman in the game even through 40ish game sbut has caught fire and started scoring and seems to have gotten it together. I wouldn't trade him either he is young and talented but hey,this is the Sabres we are talkin about the same team that brought you Ville Leino and Brian Gionta on long term overinflated deals and gave up a first for Lehner so anything is possible.

In fairness different owners were in place.  And also, we did win a Presidents trophy and go to 3 Eastern finals.  We should have won the Cup in 06 but lost all 4 starting D men in game 7.  Snake bitten.   Those dirt bags did not deserve to win the Cup.  We were the better team.

11 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

With Grabner being traded from the NYR to NJ (and I understand a trade between the two has NEVER happened...ever), it got me thinking, Grabner has now played for all three NY Metro area teams: Played for the Islanders early in his career, then a short stop with the Leafs before being signed by the Rangers, and now traded to the Devils.

How many other players have played for all three teams in the NYC Metro market?

I know there were a few that have played for two of the three, but not all.

Mike Rupp played for the Devils and Rangers, but not the Isles.

Jagr... Rangers and Devils, but no Isles.

In the 90's, when I first started following the NHL, goalie Glenn Healy played for both the Rangers and Islanders, but not NJ.

Also in the 90's, Bruce Driver, longtime Devil, played for the Rangers a bit, but not the Islanders.

Pat Lafontaine also in the 90's, longtime Islander, played one full season for the Rangers, but not NJ.

Can anyone come up with a player that, like Grabner, has made stops on all three teams?

Grabner is actually the 11th player to do it. I had to look it up myself because I was curious. Arron Asham, Pat Conacher, Sergei Nemchinov, PA Parenteau, Joel Bouchard, Mike Mottau, Vladimir Malakhov, Mike Dunham, John Vanbiesbrook, and Kevin Weekes are the other 10. I remembered Asham, Parenteau, and Dunham, but forgot the rest. 

Archived