2017-18 NHL Trade deadline

7 hours ago, MadDevil said:

Grabner is actually the 11th player to do it. I had to look it up myself because I was curious. Arron Asham, Pat Conacher, Sergei Nemchinov, PA Parenteau, Joel Bouchard, Mike Mottau, Vladimir Malakhov, Mike Dunham, John Vanbiesbrook, and Kevin Weekes are the other 10. I remembered Asham, Parenteau, and Dunham, but forgot the rest. 

Thanks for taking that time.

I tried to remember players I saw wear at least 2 of the unis, then had to look up whether they wore all three.

I guess Grabner isn't as unique as I thought in wearing all three Metro teams' sweaters.

He isn't even top 10....he is 11th.... hahaha.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And while there is a thread on it (two in fact.... lmao), the one big deal for today (so far.... 10:45am central time) is Rick Nash going to Boston for a package of NHL forward Ryan Spooner, AHL/NHL forward Matt Beleskey, colledge D-man prospect Ryan Lindgren, and Boston's 1st rounder in 2018.

Wow.

Lots of opinions on this in those threads, but I will just say, in a nutshell, I think this is an overpay for the Bruins.

Rangers DID retains some salary on Nash, but overall, I think they did ok there given Nash's status as an impending UFA.

And just as I finish my above post, I come to find out that Tomas Plekanec has been traded to the Maple Leafs.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/tomas-plekanec-traded-to-leafs-1.3818214

Excuse the misspellings and sentence structure in the above link.... I think they are just French :bigteeth: , but I think it's enough to get the gist.

Leafs get

--Plekanec + Kyle Baun (25 yr old AHL forward)

Habs get

--the Leafs 2nd rounder in 2018

--Rinat Valiev (22 yr old big bodied AHL defenseman)

--Kerby Richel (23 yr old forward, currently in the AHL with quite a bit of upside)

Good deal here for the Habs (finally!!).

Toronto does well here only if Tomas Plekanec helps solidify their young team.

Word was, since Plekanec never really waned to leave Montreal and he is a UFA, that he would be ok being traded, but then would find some way to re-sign with the Habs during the off season.

So that means he is a pure rental for the Leafs.

And since this Kyle Baun Toronto got back doesn't seem like an NHL regular, it means the Leafs gave up quite a bit to try and add veteran presence to their lineup in Plekanec.

5 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Eklund now spewing Flyers are in on Blackhawks D-man Hjarlmarsson. He has it as (e3) which means the rumor has been verified by his mother, grandmother and Aunt Shirley!

That's impressive work by him, since Hjalmarsson is in Arizona...

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Not sure I understand the need for this move from the Leafs' perspective.

We were posting at about the same time....mine was longer so you posted first, but I agree.

I think, right off the top, the Habs win this trade.

Mark it, because you can't say that very often about Montreal these days!  :ahappy:

A lot to give up for Plek...although, like the Boston deal with Nash earlier, if the Leafs get to the Finals (or at least the Eastern Finals) it may have been worth it for them.

Nawwwww, who are we kidding....in Toronto-Land, it is Stanley Cup or bust!  lol

RE: The Boston Overypay Party (Nash) and the Toronto Tom Tom Plek Drums (Plekanec) moves...

Yes, both did overpay for the veteran players each got..........but at the same time, they seem to be pushing their chips in to win NOW, and, in the short term, both Nash and Plek give each team a shot at that.

They will have stiff competition as they make their way through the playoffs (Tampa Bay, Washington, Pittsburgh, and whatever red hot teams emerges from the wild card Metro), not to mention competition between themselves, as both could meet each other in the playoffs.

But both the Bruins and Leafs are sacrificing some of their future to try and win now.

At least fans can be happy bout that.

53 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Eklund now spewing Flyers are in on D-man Hjarlmarsson. He has it as (e3) which means the rumor has been verified by his mother, grandmother and Aunt Shirley!

LOL!

You know, depending upon what is going back out, I don't know that I hate this.   He's had a poor year in Arizona by his standards.  Clearly, he'd be bottom 4 on the Flyers.  If he was UFA this summer I'd be "yeah, okay" but with his being under contract yet next year I'm not a huge fan.  His salary isn't ridiculous, it's just the roster spot versus bringing up one of the kids next year.

But again, depending upon what's going out (would you do it if Lehtera or Weiss were going out?), I might consider this.

51 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

We were posting at about the same time....mine was longer so you posted first, but I agree.

I think, right off the top, the Habs win this trade.

Mark it, because you can't say that very often about Montreal these days!  :ahappy:

A lot to give up for Plek...although, like the Boston deal with Nash earlier, if the Leafs get to the Finals (or at least the Eastern Finals) it may have been worth it for them.

Nawwwww, who are we kidding....in Toronto-Land, it is Stanley Cup or bust!  lol

I'm okay with this on both sides.   I imagine Plek is intended for bottom 6 and veteran presence.   I've never quite understood the presence of a veteran who has always been a loser, but nonetheless.   I guess Toronto gave up some prospect assets, but the Habs retained salary and Toronto (to my knowledge) didn't give up picks.  

So, clearly a rental, but may be worth the effort.  And I'm saying that while not particularly being a fan of Plek.   Maybe on a day when Boston didn't grossly overpay for a washed up planter's wart I'd feel differently.  Perhaps this overpay just pales in comparison.   But I'm okay with it.  And decent job on the Habs side, too (I'm with you:  surprising).

I wanted Hjalmarsson this off-season, on the caveat that you have to eliminate MacDonald to make it work. He's the right type of player to be a mentor for the kids, he's won in Chicago, and he can actually play hockey a bit. But yeah, I don't see a scenario in which Sanheim and Morin aren't ready next year, so even if you can get rid of MacDonald, you're still one spot short.

@ruxpin

Yea, the Leafs did give up a pick....a 2nd rounder.

Here is a link.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-trade-tomas-plekanec-maple-leafs/

Interesting comparing the Boston and Toronto deals though.

I believe both clubs overpayed for a chance to win now...but Nash may be the better offensive player (such as he is) over Plekanec.... yet it seems Plek got back more for his former team than Nash did.

Sure, the Rangers got a 1st rounder while the Habs got a 2nd...

But Montreal got Rychel and Valiev, both of whom may ultimately be better than Spooner, Beleskey, and that college prospect, Lindgren, the Rangers got.

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yea, the Leafs did give up a pick....a 2nd rounder.

Yeah, I knew that from the other thread.  You'll get old some day, TFG!

Ultimately, I didn't like the Nash trade when it was still a "rumor" that he was going everywhere but Bangladesh.   I don't and won't understand the attraction.   We'll see on the players Montreal got.   Neither are Francophiles, so the Habs will find a way to screw them up.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

So Aberg from Preds to Oilers in exchange for Letestu who then goes to CBJ for a 4th?  Is that right?

Anyone know anything about Pontus Aberg?  I know 2nd round pick in 2012 or something, but anyone with any eyeball on him that explains why this was anything to put in the paper?

10 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Hmm...off the top of my head, I wanna say Preds did ok getting a 4th rounder as they already have a pretty good Stanley Cup caliber team.

@ruxpin

Edmonton MAY have done well here...depending on how Aberg continues to develop.

I remember talking to a Preds fan on here (don't know what happened to him), and he seemed pretty high on Pontus Aberg.

And indeed, Aberg's AHL numbers look pretty good...except THIS year. Not sure what happened there....a drop off/regression? Injury?

But if he can return to his previous form he showed while in the AHL, the Oilers may have a good one there.

Letestu to the Jackets.

Not sure about this.

Columbus is trying real hard to crack the playoff bracket. Jackets need scoring, big time.

Letestu never was a big time producer, and furthermore, failed to do very much with talented high flying forwards in Edmonton (let's put aside for a second the whole Edmonton team has been putrid this season)...

So he goes to an offensively challenged team in Columbus...and he ...what.....? Lights it up all of sudden??

Easily the weakest return of the three teams here.

7 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hmm...off the top of my head, I wanna say Preds did ok getting a 4th rounder as they already have a pretty good Stanley Cup caliber team.

@ruxpin

Edmonton MAY have done well here...depending on how Aberg continues to develop.

I remember talking to a Preds fan on here (don't know what happened to him), and he seemed pretty high on Pontus Aberg.

And indeed, Aberg's AHL numbers look pretty good...except THIS year. Not sure what happened there....a drop off/regression? Injury?

But if he can return to his previous form he showed while in the AHL, the Oilers may have a good one there.

Letestu to the Jackets.

Not sure about this.

Columbus is trying real hard to crack the playoff bracket. Jackets need scoring, big time.

Letestu never was a big time producer, and furthermore, failed to do very much with talented high flying forwards in Edmonton (let's put aside for a second the whole Edmonton team has been putrid this season)...

So he goes to an offensively challenged team in Columbus...and he ...what.....? Lights it up all of sudden??

Easily the weakest return of the three teams here.

So, I guess I'm not sure why Nashville's involvement here.  Just move a prospect with some upside for a 4th?  (I don't know what round they initially got him in).   I agree that Columbus seems like they got the weakest, inexplicable return.

Edmonton's return makes sense to me.  Good move for them, I think.

But I don't quite understand Nashville.  Are they just the equivalent of a money launderer here or did they just open up a contract space for someone?  I wonder about the possibility they're about to bring someone in for picks.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

So, I guess I'm not sure why Nashville's involvement here.  Just move a prospect with some upside for a 4th?  (I don't know what round they initially got him in).   I agree that Columbus seems like they got the weakest, inexplicable return.

Edmonton's return makes sense to me.  Good move for them, I think.

But I don't quite understand Nashville.  Are they just the equivalent of a money launderer here or did they just open up a contract space for someone?  I wonder about the possibility they're about to bring someone in for picks.

Well, after that whole Ottawa-Pittsburgh-Vegas cloak n dagger spy novel thing, it is apparent the NHL likes to convolute things as much as possible for "intrigue".

For all we know, David Poile was coerced into this by the Bettman Mafia...errr, Administration, threatening to take away the city's music license or something....

"We are putting YOU, Nashville in this, because fans like drama, they like twists, they like inexplicable situations so they can speculate. And you will take a 4th rounder and like it...or else".

:cointoss:

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Not sure I understand the need for this move from the Leafs' perspective.

The Leafs have been ISO a 4C who wins faceoffs and kills penaties and Letestu or Glendening seemed to be the names mentioned most so as I posted elsewhere Plekanec is a bit of a shocker. It makes me wonder if there is more of a reason to be worried about Matthews being out for awhile, Plekanec can slot into a 3c role whereas the other two cannot. That was my original thought anyway.

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

It makes me wonder if there is more of a reason to be worried about Matthews being out for awhile

I think you've actually struck some luck in fantasy playoffs.   I don't think he'll be back in the regular season.

Aberg pouted over being stuck in Milwaukee,  which is an old Polish word for Land of hairy legged womenwith big calves. I would pout too. His play suffered, a change of scenery might help him out.

Letestu was a solid 4th liner his first time around with the Jackets and fits a need, Lucas Sedlak is just an AHLer playing 4th line minutes and Letestu is a serious upgrade. They still need a top six center as their most glaring need but it is a good deal all around for everyone.

Under the radar, Brian Gionta fresh off the Olympics has signed for the rest of the year in Boston. As a free pickup, not a bad move for the bottom six. The problem with Gionta was those couple of years where he looked like a world beater and had a career worth of puck luck in those few years. As a responsible penalty killer and hard working winger who can occasionally surprise with a goal or two he wont let you down.

12 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Under the radar, Brian Gionta fresh off the Olympics has signed for the rest of the year in Boston. As a free pickup, not a bad move for the bottom six. The problem with Gionta was those couple of years where he looked like a world beater and had a career worth of puck luck in those few years. As a responsible penalty killer and hard working winger who can occasionally surprise with a goal or two he wont let you down.

Not sure how true it was but the local media here in Rochester had the Flyers as one of three destinations (BOS, PHI, NJ) for Gionta. I wouldn’t of hated it, because he would have been an upgrade over Lethera and Weise. 

Archived